Laptop blu ray Hdmi to hdtv

Gazz008

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I hooked my laptop to my tv via hdmi to watch blu ray movie, selected spdif on the audio tried playing two movies, one played perfectly fine but when i play the other movie with the same settings i get no audio, Anyone encountered this problem or have any ideas why?

Thx

The TV model and the format of particular movies would be a help in answering this question.

Selecting Spdif passes the digital stream to the TV. Your TV may only accept a stereo stream over HDMI , if your playing some DVD's , some DVD's default to a 5.1 mix , some to a stereo mix , or if your playing ripped files , these can have vastly different audio track types that your TV simply may not accept.

For instance some Divx/xvid files have mp3 joint stereo soundtracks , some have original audio ( identical to the DVD ) tracks. In the case of the first one , your TV may not play MP3 streams , in the case of the second it should work , and so on....

I tried the blu ray movie on both my hdtv's 37lg3000 and hitachi 42 fhd1080p

I tested War blu ray movie and it worked fine with sound, tried another blu ray death sentence and i got no audio at all when tested with either of my tv's. I have no idea why one movie has sound but another doesnt.

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=106139&ReferrerCode=3

It could be a case that one particular blu ray is defaulting to HD audio , and the other is not.

Spdif cannot carry HD audio and most PC's cannot do HD audio without standalone audio cards , see if there is a setup menu on the home screen of the blu ray title ( there should be ) , and select standard DD5.1 or stereo audio.

Last edited:
I connected it up and tried both settings from the menu dolby digital 2 and 5.1 both did not work. Any other suggestions?

I'm stumped then , no reason why it should have no audio if the other one does ?

What blu ray software are you using , is it PowerDVD ?

I am using Windvd 9, i have checked on settings and i cant find anything to change. I suppose i will just have to have the volume come from my laptop instead, i am gonna get a few more blu rays and see if they have same problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom