1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop batteries

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Jan 19, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    A couple of questions for ya.....

Are Li-on batteries substantially better than Ni-mh?

If you mainly use a laptop plugged into the mains is it better to have the battery out of the laptop rather than having it constantly charge the battery??

The reason I ask is that my battery is always in and now when I use it not plugged in I probably don't get much more then 15 mins out of it!!!

It is 3 or 4 years old and Nimh, so am thinking of buying a Li-on as a replacement.

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I would say lith-ion
    but ALL laptop batteries will die eventually - 3/4 years of mixed use is pretty good

I always make sure to run the battery dry at least twice a month and then do a full charge before further off mains use / mixed charging opportunites. This seems to work well for my last 3 laptops.

We have over 3000 Dell laptops to look after at work.....you can imagine the pain.

3. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Li-ion is definately a better technology than Nimh - but - you can't just replace a Nimh with a Li-ion. This will require a completely different charging circuit (ususally built into the laptop). Try it and you risk serious damage or worse, fire.

Generally, Li-ion can be recharged in any state of discharge. NiMh should be treated as NiCad and completely discharged on a regular basis before fully charging.

3 or 4 years is probably the limit as far as NiMh batteries go, so you don't appear to have prematurely aged the battery. In future though, if you do not get the opportunity to flatten the battery on a regular basis and it is subject to very frequent connection to the charger, it's probably best to remove the battery to maximise its lifespan. BTW, NiMh batteries that are infrequently used will also suffer.

4. mambojambo

mambojambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    with power tools it actually damages a NiMh battery if you run it completely flat, and i would assume this to be the case with all NiMh

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Are you defo sure about this...? I ask as I know i had an option to go for Li-on with this exact make and model laptop....and i know you can buy replacements that are li-on

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Something I learnt recently was how a battery works. It degrades by forming crystals inside the cell. These prevent full voltage across the terminals. A full discharge is recommended when you feel the battery isnt lasting as long as it should but you can kill a battery this way (too many crystals form and it is impossible to charge again).

Every 15-20 charges it might be worth doing a complete discharge but shouldnt be needed more often than that.

Li-ion is a better technology as this is not required, however some Li-ions can have battery life issues. That is why the new-ish technology (more expensive) Li-pol, is becoming more common as it has a longer life.

7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Maybe your lappy has been designed to cater for both types (auto switching power supply?) I suggest you seek positive confirmation from the manufacurer if unsure.