Laptop Automatically Locks after 5 minutes since installing Vista SP2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sedalbis, Jun 8, 2009.

1. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I never had this problem prior to installing Vista Service Pack 2 last week, but now if my laptop is left idle for 5 minutes it automatically locks itself, and I have to type my password in to get back on. I have been through all the settings etc and I cannot find an option to turn this feature off anywhere. I have screensaver set to off, and my power plan is on maximum as the laptop is always plugged in.

Any ideas on how to stop this happening?

Cheers in advance :)

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    Look in Screen Saver, change power settings then change plan settings and set monitor to never switch off or PC to not go to sleep.

3. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    It is already set to this and always has been, this is why I am finding this problem very strange. It never happened before installing SP2

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,491
    Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Change Power-Saving Settings>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Additional Settings

The require a password on wakeup option should be there.

5. tbase

tbase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm kinda late to the party here, but this just happened to me and none of the above fixed it. Turns out that even though my screen saver was set to 'None', it was a screen saver issue. After selecting a screen saver other than 'None' so that the option was available to me, I unchecked 'On resume, display login screen', and then went back to 'None'. This solved my problem. Just posting here in case someone runs across this thread like I did.