Laptop as PC controller?

Chronic

Standard Member
Im thinking is there a way i can remotely control my PC from my laptop with an adapter, wirelessly preferably, but the thing is i live in a cabin that is separate from the house where the router is, i have no wireless connection to the router as im out of range, im just running a very long ethernet through the garden

My laptop has wifi but nothing to connect to, im hoping there is an adapter for my PC that can send a wireless signal to my laptop, kind of extend the signal, otherwise im thinking of an ethernet coupler & splitter combined with 2 ethernet cables, basically just splitting the ether net coming into my room into 2 connections.

Really appreciate some help with this as it would make things much easier

Chronic

Standard Member
No, i have my own fuse box so not on the same circuit

I found the D-Link DAP-1160 Wireless G Access Point which seems ot be exactly what i want, wasn't exactly easy to find either but got there in the end!

This will enable me to take my ether net & split it into an ethernet to go to my PC & a wireless signal to go to my laptop, which should in theory enable me to use my laptop to control my PC

Chronic

Standard Member
Now i just need to make it so my PC's desktop displays on my laptop? :)

I think i can use crossloop, but im sure theres a way of setting up a network in windows to let me do this?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Now i just need to make it so my PC's desktop displays on my laptop? :)

I think i can use crossloop, but im sure theres a way of setting up a network in windows to let me do this?

Controlling one PC from another over a network (whether it's the internet or a home network) can be done with Windows remote desktop or a VNC program. It won't be as smooth as actually being sat in front of the PC so you won't be able to game, watch movies or similar over a link like that.

As to hardware options, the access point signal won't be any stronger than the router so unless it's significantly closer your laptop won't see it.

I'd say the best option generally would be to replace one of the antennas on the router with a directional one which will boost the range.

Chronic

Standard Member
I don't actually have a router in my room or anywhere near it, im running a long ethernet from a router in my mums house, thgrough the garden into my room which is outside

I'm buying a d-link that will let me take my ethernet cable & make a wireless access point in my room, along with an ethernet out to go into my PC

So my laptop will be on wireless, PC on ethernet

Ive found out JRiver has a function that i can log onto my media player via web on my laptop & control the media player from there...

Im open to anymore reliable suggestions though i may run another ethernet off the d-link so i can setup a home network (LAN i think?) rather than relying on web connectivity, any guides on how i do this are very welcome!

Chronic

Standard Member
PC is in the cabin, with one ethernet run form the router in the house, its about 50 metres from house to cabin, i've never had a wireless anything work from the house to my room, doorbells, wireless connections, all which claim to work up to 'X' amount of distance & never work

ncmoody

OK so the distance is fine put a switch on the end of the ethernet from the house.
If you really need wirless within the cabin then use a combined swithc and wirless router. Connect the switch to the ethernet via a normal port not the router port.

Why do you want wirless from the laptop to the PC ?
If they are both in the cabin then a second wire from the switch to the Laptop would seem the simplest way forward.

Chronic

Standard Member
I want wireless to remotely control my HTPC with my laptop, sorry i must be pretty crap at explaining it or something

I can't run another wire from the house, id have to buy another 100m ethernet cable, its all good anyway im getting my d-link on monday which is perfect for what i want, it turns one ethernet point (which is all i have in my room) into a wireless access point & router for more ethernets, so i can also run another ethernet cable off it to go into my PC, exactly what i need ;)

Its basically a router you can put on the end of another router to extend the signal/connectivity

ncmoody

I did not suggest you used ANOTHER cable from the house I meanyt use the existing cable and put a wireless switch/router on it, then use a secons cable from it to the PC and then the WiFi for the laptop.

I understand you want to control the PC with the laptop but why Wireless and not a standard ethernet connection?

I suspect the solution you intend to implement is as I suggested we are just using diferent terms.

Have you dexided how you intend to control the PC, I don't see anywhere where you say which operating systems you are using on the PC and the Laptop. It would help to know.

Chronic

Standard Member
I did not suggest you used ANOTHER cable from the house I meanyt use the existing cable and put a wireless switch/router on it, then use a secons cable from it to the PC and then the WiFi for the laptop.

Thats exactly what im going to do ;)

I want wireless simply because its more of a 'remote control'

I'll be using it to control JRiver Media Centre, which has inbuilt server/client function so i can use my laptop or smartphone as a remote control for my music library

Both windows on pc/laptop :thumbsup:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Its basically a router you can put on the end of another router to extend the signal/connectivity

Routers are for switching between networks, you don't need to create your own network where you can control access to/from the existing one, you just want to add multiple devices onto that.

From your initial post I got the impression the ethernet cable was plugged into your laptop and that you wanted to get rid of it and the PC was back in the house.

If you're quite happy to keep the ethernet cable 'through the garden' then yes, don't bother with the directional antenna and just get a box that can act as a switch and a wireless access point. Routing functionality isn't needed, but as routers are so common you may find getting one and disabling the router function cheaper than just buying a box with the functions you need.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom