1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop as HCPC server?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ziocleto, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

My main concern is about noise reduction from my very very noisy HCPC server. Ok, the case is a bargain one, PSU is quite crappy, the CPU fan/cooler it's ok, but it's _a lot_ noisy.
    What I was thinking: looking at the prices of this brand new shiny ultra quiet PC cases (150+), with an ultra quiet PSU (£50+?)pairing with a good processor/video card, isnt worth to replace it with an entry level laptop? Saying £700/800?
    As long as it has a dvd player, a good wireless 802.11 interface then it's enough for me, and it's virtually silent, and it takes no room at all.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Dave.

2. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should try and shove the noisy one in the attic/cellar or in a cupboard/separate comms room, your only expense will be extension cables and an external housing for optical drives.
    The silent PC route has been expensive, time consuming and still disappointing for me.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd still recommend a dedicated PC for HC duties. Laptops aren't really suitable IMO.

:smoke:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have to say i agree with Kramer....I have a laptop and an HCPC,and the PC is by far the easiest to use.

There are a lot of new USB cards allowing DTS and DD decoding via laptops some of which look quite tempting if you have to go down the laptop route,and the M-Audio ones caught my eye recently.
    www.maudio.co.uk worth a look maybe.