Laptop and TV Purchase for new house - Any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MonkyLondon, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MonkyLondon

MonkyLondon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I want to get a new home entertainment system for my new house living room and need some help as am a little lost.

My budget for TV and laptop is circa £1500.00, I was thinking maybe spend £600.00 on a laptop and £900.00 on a TV?

All my current stuff is circa 2008 so I'm a bit out of date :blush: Before anyone recommends specific laptops and TV's to me what is the best method for streaming from the laptop to TV, I want to use the laptop as the hub for everything including HD films, music, internet, video editing (motorsport GoPro videos), work (car dealer) whilst using the TV as the monitor and screen for XBOX 360 / Freeview.

I've seen Intel's WiDi but finding laptops that has it isn't that easy, some TV's also come with it or you can use a wireless display adapter but wasn't sure if this should be my main focus or if there were better ways out there for streaming? Just a bit lost with it all. Having an HDMI output as well would also be great.

New house has a nice mezzanine living room so want something quite smart, if possible with my budget. Considerd a PC but prefer the minimilist look of a laptop and occasional portability. Eventually I will add surround sound speakers etc but for now I just want to get the laptop and TV sorted and get something the lasts me for a while.

In basic I work from home with a million tabs open, do a lot of Motorsports with filming, love music, watch lot's of films and download lots of programmes so want to get something that can do all this with ease and look the part. Is it worth sticking with one brand? I have a Galaxy S3 if that's any consolation :D I would more than likely just get a wireless keyboard and mouse for ease, I take it no tablets or notebooks are powerful enough to do what I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, once I'm up to speed with the technology hopefully you can recommend me some laptops and TV's, I spotted the "Dell Outlet" thread and they seem to have some powerful laptops for the £600 range! Wouldn't mind a circa 60" TV as well!

Cheers,

Toby

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. MonkyLondon

MonkyLondon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to "Which laptop should I buy?" The Questions:

What is your budget?

£1500.00 for Laptop and TV

What size laptop do you want?

14"-17"

Do you have resolution requirements?

1080HD +?

What will you be using the laptop for?

Browsing, Word Processing, GoPro Video Editing, TV Streaming, Music, HD Films

How long does the battery need to last?

Will be plugged in most the time so not too fussed?

Does it need to be portable?

Mostly at home in living room, occasionally bedroom!

Do you require Blu-Ray?

Not a deal breaker but great if it has it, can always use an additional player worse case

Do you require HDMI output?

Yes

Do you have a preferred brand?

Dell, HP, Acer - any good ones really

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?

Yes

Any other details you feel necessary:

On research I considered 8GB RAM Quad Core, I7, 7200RPM HD, Windows 8? Right path?

Thanks

3. MonkyLondon

MonkyLondon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013