Laptop advice needed please, not sure what one to go for, details inside....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nero0410, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    I'm looking for a laptop to use for net (wireless when away and ethernet for at home), SD DVD and video file playback, and some games.

Basically I'd like a dual core (2ghz clock or greater), 2gb of ram, winXP and no preloaded software required.

I have no idea what graphics I'd get away with, as I don't understand what the graphics cards in laptops are capable of.

My highest gameplay requirement will be Red Alert 3 which I'd like to be able to play at either low or medium, no higher is required as I won't be playing games on it that much.
    The only other games I'd play on it would be the older RTS's like all the older command and conquer games.

What budget am I looking at and would I get away with a x3100 shared, or what graphics would I be looking for for this requirements??

thanks

tris

EDIT: just for info, when I play any games it's usually just 1024x768 which would help with a lesser powerful card.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Any recommendations then guy's??

Or even just what graphics to look out for when looking at laptops??

tris

EDIT:

Any of these any good for basic low level graphics gameplay for red alert 3????
    (all low graphics @ 1024x768. I'll be using a laptop for minimal gameplay, but would like it to run Red Alert 3 all on low)
    Lenovo 3000 N500 Dual Core
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154651

HP 6735S Business Laptop, AMD Turion X2 Dual core
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152237

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
  5. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Yea its a dual-core CPU, the best advice I can give you is the buy the best spec'd laptop your budget can stretch to even if it seems a little overkill for what you do or plan to do on it at the moment.

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Yep thanks for the advice.

To be honest I don't have a budget to start with, I just needed to find out what the cheapest option was for my needs and go from there.

All I want to be able to do mainly is:
    1. WinXP (do you think who I buy it off will put that on instead of Vista??, I just prefer XP and am more use to it)

2. have a wireless connection built into it for use in these 'wifi' zones whilst away.(hopefully thats easy to set up. Will use ethernet connection when at home though)

3. A little RTS gaming at 1024 res and low settings, as I wont be gaming on it much at all, but will like to play Red alert 3 and tiberium wars when away. I know the older c+c games will run on near enough every laptop thats out there.

4. Dvd and xvid/divx watching, that I'll play from the HDD, I'll use an external drive for my video watching though, so dont require any more than 250gb in a laptop at the max.

I simply could not find anywhere that told me anything about the card within laptops, what there capable of or anything like that.
    It seems the one you have shown me looks the part for some low res/settings gaming, and perfect for dvd video:)
    Is it available with XP though????

Finally are there anymore you can recommend up to that price????

Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appriciated.:thumbsup:

tris

7. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Its hard to get a laptop with XP now and if you can find one they usualy only have single-core Celeron CPU's or the like.
    You can always format the HDD and install a copy of XP yourself.
    The Spec on the R505 is as good as your going to get without spending silly money, it wall play all your games plus newer stuff like spore and I think I saw a review saying it ran CoD4 well.
    IMO its the best spec'd laptop you could get in that price bracket, I recomended it to my brother in law who bought one a couple of weeks ago.
    The 6735s is very similar in spec appart from a slightly less powerfull GPU, so if you really want XP pre installed id go for that as it was a toss up between the exact same two laptops when I was looking for my brother in law lol
    You could probably get away with something cheaper but I wouldnt like to speculate on what GPUs will or wont run certain games, other than that both of the above laptops have everything you need.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Tell me about it, seen quite a fe with XP only having the single core chips :(

If I had to get one with vista installed, formated the HDD and shoved XP on myself, would that void the warrenty??
    Just out of interest, if I got on with and decided to keep vista home premium, does it include the vista media centre in that version??

Would the site I buy it from not offer XP installed over vista??

Good to hear that COD 4 can be played on it, I imagine with very low settings, and possibly 800x600 res, but that wouldn't bother me as long as there wasn't any crashing/jerking :)

Though that little bit of power between the GPU's seems to make a fair difference to the performance according to those benchmarks :(
    I just don't see why no one seems to offer it with XP instead of vista.

Saying that, I love the look of vista, and have incorporated the looks of it into my XP HTPC, it's just the power it likes to eat up I'm concerned about on a laptop.
    I may even get used to it, but even that doesn't seem like it will be around too long with windows 7 on the way.
    I don't know I just prefer XP, been the best OS I used after windows 3.1 lol

Very true. It would be nice to find somthing a bit cheaper maybe £300-350, but it seems that it seems to be the going price for somthing with half decent graphics.

I remember my old HP laptop, it used to play all the older C+C games flawlessly at 800x600 with high graphics (which werent that demanding to be honest for RA2/Yuri and backwards)
    It didn't have much of a chance to Generals and onwards though as it was very choppy, then when C+C3 and red alert 3 came along it just gave up lol.

I know C+C3 and RA3 arn't that demanding really, but only looking at playing them on low settings is adequate enough for when I'm away, though I'll mainly be useing it for movies whilst away more than games, but it's nice to have some games there.
    It'll be good for when the pc goes down at home too, as I'll use an external sound card and WinDVD with it, and it'll probably be able to run the games my home system can't as I presume it's too powerful for some older games lol.

Thanks again, and if there are any more sites that are reliable or you see one just ars powerful but a little cheaper, please do let me know :)

Just gotta carry on saving now I guess, I'll probably ressurect this thread when I have all the cash, and double check with you for the best offers about then if that's ok??
    (probably send you a quick pm to let you know it's ressurected:D)

tris

EDIT:

Is Avika a trustworthy site? Any expieriance with them??

Also Almost everywhere else I see that laptop, it states that the card is a HD 3200 128mb?? so is avika the only site to do it with a HD 3470??

Are there any other sites that have it, as all the ones I see for it all seem to be different with a different processor GPU etc....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Any more advice/comments anyone please :)

thanks

tris

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    If you can stretch to it, Dells XPS 1530 is a good machine for everything you've mentioned and will give you some headroom for future. Dell may entertain fitting it with XP but not sure if they still do this. cheapest version can usually be haggled to around £650 if your good.

With laptops it can pay to go a little up the price scale from the £400 crowd so that it is better made in respect to the internal components that are used. Lasts longer and performs better at its age than a cheap laptop.

11. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Well the figure I first had in my head was £300 tops, so £400 is really pushing it for me.
    I wont go into any detail of my income, but it's not a lot at all, and I think we're all in some form of personal financial crisis these days.

The Medion Akoya S5610 for £412 delivered mentioned here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-mini-pcs/935229-new-laptop-under-400-some-advice-please.html
    Sounds good for my needs too, and sports a spdif out which would be good if it's optical for when I'm at home.

I'd say that £400 is my max budget, and the samsung and HP mentioned above seem the best for the money for me, but I am unsure about the HP as the graphics in that is the HD 3200, whereas the Samsung has the HD 3470 which would probably be a better option in this case. Though since O don't know anyone witha laptop, I can only go by advice here.

According to the benchmarks as described in the site virtual boy posted above it seems that the 3470 is a much faster card than the 3200, so I'm presumeing this will reflect in my games
    (the Red alert 3/tiberium wars etc....)
    They will be the most heavy graphics games I'll play on the laptop (only at 1024x768)
    , as I'll only play RTS's when Im away, including Castle strike, C+C decade, so nothing near the likes crysis.
    I'll maybe have a go at oblivion, remembering that I'll only play on the lowest settings and between 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution.

The majority of the time, I'll only be using it to play video, and using the net wirelessly. SO I'm not asking for too much graphics power, just enough to play the aforementioned games on lowest settings
    So for waht I want it for I may find I'm overkilling slightly as it is (he says in hope).

Is there much difference off paper between the 3200 and 3470?

tris

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Well it seems as though I'm back to square one again as the Samsung doesn't appear to be sold anymore :(

I emailed the site asking some questions and was told this:

So it looks like that ones out the window :(

I was pretty much decided on that one too given the power and graphics it had

Any more recommendations?? As I can't seem to find another laptop with the same power and graphics card

Thanks again

tris

EDIT:

They reckon on this thread that they are able to run Red Alert 3 on a laptop with the GMA x3100 here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=313024&page=3

Obviously ay low settings

Do you think that's accurate??

I also found this for £399:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_X58L-AP004E_Laptop_X58L-AP004E/version.asp

It has an Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-8200M-G.9440.0.html (not much in info on the 8200 there)

Do you think that would do the trick, maybe almost as powerful as the 8400:
    http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400M-GT.3483.0.html

Still need some help here guys :(

tris

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  13. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Thought I'd just bump this up, as still looking and after much needed advice:(

I have had info here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lapt...under-400-some-advice-please.html#post8872973
    Red Alert 3 specific advice here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-g...ed-alert-3-even-lowest-possible-settings.html
    and here:
    Would like to buy a laptop to play Red Alert 3 whilst away, please help with choice vlow-med gfx....

And yet I still seem confused as to what to look out for and get. All the cards mentioned seem confusing and so far the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT seems to be the best to suit my needs:
    Translated version of http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3498.0.html

But do I need to find a laptop with it shared or dedicated?

I presume a 512mb is the version I'd need?

It is so hard trying to find anything decent running XP, or offering a downgrade to XP.
    I guess I'd have to live with vista home prem if I needed to as I got to learn that OS sometime, but I much prefer XP as it will use less power of the laptop.

Any more advice/comments/ laptop suggestions are greatly needed and appriciated :)

Thanks

tris

14. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Can't seem to find much info on the 8200, the usual site we've been referring to here doesn't have any benchmarks for it :(

So far it seems these cards would be good for Red Alert 3:
    HD 3650
    &
    GF 8600M GT

I'm really liking the look of the GF 8600M GT, it seems to be able to run a lot:
    Translated version of http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3498.0.html

I can't seem to find any laptops with it in though (seen a couple but thats with 256mb not 512mb, would that make much of a difference at 1024x768??),
    don't suppose you could point me to any:thumbsup:
    (looks like my budget has gone to £500 max or below now, without postage)

So obviously I'll not be needing a 512mb then only running at 1024x768, as these type of cards are quite hard to find in a laptop at the right price as it is.

I get quite confused though when I see things like the HD 2600:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-2600.3771.0.html
    It seems pretty powerful for a lower spec card, so why would it fair up much better??

It is all quite confusing, and I guess I'd prefer an ATi if I could (bit of a fanboy really with my HD4850 in my main system), but that Geforce 8600M GT sound the best:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3986.0.html

Though the HD 2600 is between that and the GS version of the 8600.
    I also don't know if those tests are accurate to the card you have, the 8600M GT 256mb as those benches are on the 512mb version, so will there be a big difference? or just marginal.

Anyway, the cards I have found so far are these inc. benches @ 1024x768:
    Geforce 8600M GT
    Fear - 32fps
    Doom - 79 fps
    score - 6175

All taken from the same site (8600M GT as example, rest of them in the list to the right):
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3986.0.html

Geforce 8600M GS
    Fear - 45fps
    Doom - 67fps
    score - 4397

ATI Radeon mobility HD 3650
    Fear - 23fps
    Doom - 79 fps
    score - 7358

ATI Radeon HD 2600
    Fear - 18fps
    Doom - 68 fps
    score - 5997

Geforce 8400M GT
    Doom - 49 fps
    score - 3587

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
    Fear - 13fps
    score - 3947

But can we really trust how accurate these benches are?? as the HD 2600 ones just don't seem right.

What would be the best ones to look out for in a laptop out of those that would run RA3 smoothly at low-medium?

Thanks again for all this help, it is greatly appriciated

tris

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  16. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    lol I'm not sure, I just saw the 2600 whilst browsing through that gpu comparison site :)

Thanks, another to consider in my new and FINAL budget :D

I'm set at getting somthing with 2ghz dual core or core 2 duo, 3gb of ram and a dvd writer etc....and obviously the graphics cards are where I get confused.

I wonder if you could jot down some of the mid range cards for me (with the correct model GS GT etc....)
    so I know what to look for whilst choosing a laptop, as that seems to be the only part where I really get stuck and would really help me whilst browsing around.
    (and some brands of laptop, medion/asus/dell, as I'm not sure which ones to avoid)

I presume I'd be stuck with Vista these days too as they all seem to have that, I'd prefer XP, but could get used to vista too I guess

You could suggest some sites that are good too, as I'm not up to scratch with them.
    It would be great for some with next day delivery too

Thanks again, and look forward to your suggestions:thumbsup:

tris

18. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    The two ASUS laptops I linked to in post #14 come with downgrade discs to install XP which is why I posted them in the thread.

19. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    After much learning, reading, and comments and advice here, other parts of the forum and elseware,
    I have decided that the best I can get graphically (with some leway too) is going to be getting a laptop with one of the following cards:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650:
    OR
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Both 256mb versions

Now I just need some help finding a latop that has one of these cards and a confirmation which card would be the best to go for out of these two as they are very similar, whihc would run hotter etc....

Obviously my budget has shifted for the FIANL time to £550 at the very max, but prefer it to be cheaper (don't we all? :))

And one last time, please help/comment and advise

Thanks, really appriciated

tris

20. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    The HD 3650 is better, runs cooler and uses less power.
    The acer aspire 6920G gemstone blue has a HD 3650 for £550 at laptops direct.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  21. virtual_boy

virtual_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    The Dell studio 15 is apparently getting an upgrade, the studio 1555 will have the option of a HD 4570.
    No word on pricing or dates yet though.

22. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
  23. ade4all

ade4all

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    try ecomputers ltd, heard good things & you get 3 year warranty

24. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Thanks, will do.

And has anyone used NDC as linked to in post #22?

And any more to consider?

thanks

tris

25. Vip3r

Vip3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  26. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  27. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Thanks for all the info, it's great adivce and really helpful :)

Just seen something (link below) that made me wonder if it was true, would a Radeon mobility 3450 or similar nvidia be suitable for the low res/details I require to play these games??
    (although not as powerful I know, but i do only want to play them on 800x600 (1024x768) res max and low-medium. I don't mind low at all as this is only for playing games whilst away.

looks like it may be able to according to this:
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 gaming benchmarks (Call of Duty 4, Crysis, F.E.A.R. 2, Sacred 2, Red Alert 3, Unreal Tournament 3, World in Conflict, GRID, Far Cry, Half Life 2) | towards the optimal laptop

Just a thought before making my final decision :)

tris

28. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Just had a re-read of this thread and after you first mentioning that you would only like to do a little gamming it now seems you are pushing more into this side of your laptop.

You will not get much in the way of gamming speck for the price band you're looking at, plus it's not just about the graphics card but the whole package. It cost me £2600 (or should of) to speck a gamming laptop that gives proper bench mark results, you really need to be spending £600+ to get what you are now talking about. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 is not a very good card at all and really struggles at gamming, should no tried it myself.

Run most games ok on my XPS M1530, just need them turning down a little.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)
    Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT)
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic
    But you're looking at spending £800

My Studio 15 struggles to play COD4 etc.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache
    3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    Vista® Home Premium SP1 (32 BIT)
    256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450
    Around £530 now I think

My XPS M1730 plays anything you like on the highest setting giving a great gamming experience for a laptop.

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Processor X9000 (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 6MB L2-cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate SP1 (64BIT)
    6144MB 800 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    1GB nVidia® SLI™ Dual GeForce™ 9800GTX graphics card (2 x 512 SLI cards sitting alongside Ageia PhysX Processing Unit Card)
    Ageia PhysX Processing Unit Card
    400GB Free Fall Sensor Raid 0 Stripe - 2 X 200GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive

Working in IT has its advantages; I get to play with more laptops and computers in a week than most shops sell in a month. All shapes and sizes, but will say personally Dell shine out for me.

Maybe the Studio 15 in a lower speck mite just do what your after?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  29. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    planetse, you sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm about to buy a new laptop (around £600, preferably less, absolute maximum of £700) and I was thinking about picking up a Dell Studio 17 (for £629) but I'm not sure if it's particularly good value for money what do you think:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English
    17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ CCFL (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
    320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
    Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
    Intel WiFi Link 5100 (802.11 a/b/g/n 1X2) 1/2 MiniCard

It's mostly going to be connected to the mains so I'm not concerned about the battery. I've heard that the wifi card isn't great, might not be a huge issue.

30. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    You have been around the bush a few times aint you :eek:

I'm more pushing a little for as much information as I possibly can, as I don't understand anything about the graphics/light gaming side of a laptop.

The games I want to play are not that power hungry I dont think, and I'll only want to play them at 800x600 (1024x768 if possible) resolution.
    I'll also only require to play them at their low graphics settings, as I will play them at full whack at home on my main system.

I'm not after playing Crysis or any graphicly intense FPS's, the only FPS's I'll be interested in playing on it are the older ones, I leave the more recent ones to my pc and xbox 360.

The only games that I'll be playing on it with the highest requirement are Red Alert 3 and Dawn of War 2, and I'll only want to play them at low settings and resolution (800x600 min I expect).

I'm mainly after playing my RTS's whilst I'm away, and will only want to play them at the low settings, if I can get away with medium then great, but it doesn't matter if I can't.

The rest of the time it will be for wireless net use at a hotspot (for browseing and email), and watching my ripped to take away SD DVDs and movie files.
    (as I dont fancy taking a horde of discs with me that wont be insured, but my laptop will be under my insurance)

I have now seen a few laptops that I like, the studio range being my fave style and a couple more that I have seen on my travels, and my aim now is to find out if these particualr cards will live up to my needs:
    Presuming these are all dedicated? I think they are.

HD 3450
    HD 3650

nvidia 8400
    nvidia 8600m gt
    nvidia 9300M GS

These are all coupled with:
    3gb ram
    t3200 (or higher up to t6400) intel core 2 duo rated at either 2.0ghz or 2.1ghz - depending on the one I go for.
    vista home premium

So enough to fill the requirements of all the games I want to play, and suit everything else down to the ground.

So would any of these five do what I require?

Heres the games I'd most likely to play:

Basically these are the games I want to be able to play on one (and their requirements, hold your breath):
    DAWN OF WAR

Minimum system requirements:
    1.4 GHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon XP processor
    256 MB RAM
    2 GB free hard drive space
    4x CD-ROM drive
    DirectX 9.0b compatible AGP video card with Hardware Transform and Lighting and 32MB of Video RAM.
    DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card
    Keyboard, Mouse.

Recommended system requirements:
    2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent,
    512 MB System RAM (required for 8-player multiplayer games).
    nVidia GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 or equivalent with 64 MB of Video RAM.

RED ALERT 3

System Requirements:
    * OS – Windows XP / Vista (32-Bit)
    * Processor – XP: 2.0 GHz (Intel Pentium 4; AMD Athlon 2000+; Multiple Cores) / Vista: 2.2 GHz
    (Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2200+/Multiple Cores)
    * Memory – XP/Vista: 1 GB
    * Hard Drive – Media: 6.0 GB / EA Link: 12.0 GB
    * DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
    * Video Card – NVIDIA GeForce 6800, ATI Radeon X1800 or higher end DirectX 9.0c compatible gfx card
    * Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards require a Intel P4 2.6 GHz or similar under Vista,
    Yamaha Xwave-512 not supported)
    * Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2-8 Players
    * Input - Keyboard, Mouse
    * Optional – VoIP Headset

COMMAND AND CONQUER 3

Minimum system requirements:
    Windows XP, Windows Vista (32-bit; 64-bit versions of Vista are not supported)
    2.0GHz or better, or AMD equivalent
    512MB or better
    8x or faster DVD-ROM Drive
    8.0GB or more of free hard disk space
    GeForce4, ATI Radeon 8500 or better (ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI, NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX cards not supported.)
    DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    Network, Internet Multiplayer: 2 players (no voice support) - 56 Kbps Internet connection; 2-8 players
    (with voice transmission) - Broadband Connection

C+C GENERALS

Minimum Requirements:
    Pentium III or Athlon 800 MHz
    128 MB RAM (256 MB required for 3-8 multiplayer games)
    Windows 98/98SE/Me/2000/XP
    DirectX 8.1
    32 MB DirectX-compatible video card
    16-bit DirectX-compatible sound card
    8x CD-ROM drive
    1.8 GB hard-disk space

Recommended Requirements:
    Pentium IV or Athlon 1.8 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce3 or more recent Direct3D capable video card

RED ALERT 2/YURI

Windows 95/98/2000/ME/NT 6.0
    266 MHz Intel Pentium II or AMD K6-2 processor
    32 MB RAM
    4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
    200 MB free hard disk space
    2 MB video card
    DirectSound compliant sound card
    Keyboard
    Mouse

C+C RENEGADE

Windows 98 / 2000 / ME / XP
    400MHz Intel Pentium II or equivalent
    96MB RAM
    950MB HDD Space
    16MB Graphics Card with 3D hardware acceleration
    DirectSound compliant Sound Card
    DirectX 8
    4x speed CD-ROM Drive

C+C TIBERIUM SUN

Windows 95/98
    Pentium 166 (P200 recommended)
    32 MB RAM
    16-bit color video card (4 MB RAM recommended)
    4x CD-ROM
    200 MB hard-disk space
    Mouse
    28.8 Kbps modem
    DirectSound-compatible sound card
    Soundblaster

BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH

Windows XP or Windows 2000
    1.3 GHz Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon processor
    256 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce2 or equivalent video card with 32 MB RAM
    DirectX 9.0b compatible sound card
    4 GB available hard disk space
    Please note that while you will be able to play The Battle for Middle-earth
    with the specifications above, play experience can benefit from additional RAM,
    above the required 256 MB.
    Nvidia GeForce2 MX is not supported

BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH II

Microsoft Windows XP
    PC with 1.6 Ghz equivalent or higher processor
    256 MB of system RAM
    512 MB of system RAM for online play with 3 or more players
    6 GB available hard disk space
    8x speed or faster CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive
    64 MB GeForce3-class video card. The game only officially supports cards
    with ATI (Radeon 8500 or greater) and Nvidia chipsets, and the Intel GMA 900 and GMA 950 products.
    The GeForce 4 MX is not supported.
    Sound card with speakers or headphones
    Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    56.6 Kbps or better modem for 1v1 online play
    Broadband connection for online play with 3 or more players
    DirectX 9.0c or above

CALL OF DUTY 1

3D Hardware Accelerator Card required ? 100% DirectX 9.0a compatible 32MB Hardware T&L-capable video card and drivers
    Pentium III 700 or Athlon processor or higher
    English version of Microsoft Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
    128MB of RAM
    8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and drivers
    181MB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 200MB for Windows swap file)
    100% DirectX 9.0a compatible 16 bit sound card and drivers
    100% Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and drivers
    DirectX 9.0a (not included)

BLACK HAWK DOWN

Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP with DirectX 8.1
    733MHz Pentium III equivalent
    750MB HDD Space
    256MB RAM
    32MB nVidia TNT2, GeForce series, ATI Radeon series or equivalent (64MB recommended)
    Sound Card (Windows compatible)
    4x speed CD-ROM Drive
    Mouse and keyboard
    Internet connection / LAN required for multiplayer mode

AND OLDER

After this question has been answered as mentioned earlier:

So would any of these five do what I require?

I'll reveal the list of laptops I'm looking at, with the studio at the top of my list and a reasonably priced 18.4" one too:thumbsup:
    (though I may find the 18.4 a little too big, I'll have another look at it tomorrow)

Thanks again for all the info, advice and help, it has been very enlightening so far, and I look forward to more very soon:D

tris