1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by General Skanky, Aug 20, 2005.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I need a 2.5" drive to go into this -

http://www.shop4usb.co.uk/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=97

I personally like Seagate, but their Momentus range is undergoing a transition to .3 status.

So I'd like some recommendations please.

I intend to use it as a backup/portable hdd/general spare. So Jack of all trades.

One thing though, I intend to power it purely via USB. Nothing else. So only drives that are easily usb driven power wise please.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If there is anyone wanting to shift a good 2.5" but looking for a normal size one, I have a Maxtor Diamondmax 9 160Gb I may trade with.:)

...with a good external enclosure that has an internal psu so no big block on the floor...

3. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use a similar enclosure I bought from Ebuyer, have no issues at all with it.

Be careful to get the right thickness of drive it won't take the thicker 13mm drives. The dimensions on the site are external measurements, nearly caught me out.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks. I was looking at a 80Gb drive say as any bigger would mean a thicker chasis.

What drive do you have?

How about its power requirements to be driven via USB?

What I could do is get a stonking Momentus drive for my laptop and put its Travelstar drive in the caddy instead.

5. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There have been no issues concerning power, the cable that comes with the chasis has a mini usb that attaches to the HD case and two standard USB connections that go into the PC.

I use 30 gb Hitachi drive model number is DK23EA-30, its about 18 month old and has yet to cause any issues.

I find it perfectly fine in size, although I must admit it feels a bit odd having so much disk space available in such a small package.

Good luck in finding what you ar elooking for and I would definately recommand the hitachi drives.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks.