1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Lantana" - a cracker!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Apr 7, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Every so often I like to buy a movie I like the sound of, but that I know nothing about, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

A few months ago I picked up a gift set of DVD, CD soundtrack and book for a movie called "Lantana". This was reduced from about £25 to £5.99, the reviews on the box were excellent and the cast looked fine (Anthony La Paglia, Barbara Hershey and Geoffery Rush), so I bought it.

Finally got round to watching it the other night and it was a little gem. Turns out to be an Aussie movie, and one made for grown ups too. Unfolds at a leisurely pace (Attention Deficit Syndrome brigade beware) and pulls you into its intricate weave of characters and (seemingly) disparate plot strands.

To say any more would spoil it for those who may be interested. Nothing to give your home cinema a workout, but a good music soundtrack, so well worth having the CD chucked in.

Solid movie. :smashin:

Anyone else take a chance on an unknown movie occasionally? Any similar pleasant surprises to report?

2. adieacc

adieacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is currently doing the rounds on Sky movies, i watched it the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Adieacc

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Yes but I have rarely been pleasantly suprised :(

Only on one occasion can I remember buying a film without seeing any reviews and without knowing anything about it and that was "The Dish".

Only bought it because Sam Neil was in it as the rest of the cast are (to me at least) relative unknowns.

Funny that as with Lantana this is an Aussie based movie, predominantly character based and certainly not an all out action movie but its all the better for that :smashin:

Definatley one of my favorite feel good movies and one I can watch over and over. :thumbsup: