Language in post-graduate study! :mad:

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Anyone here doing or done any post-grad study?

Maybe I am just very ignorant (what does that mean? :rolleyes: ) but the hardest thing about it is the language I am confronted with.

Half of it seems completely unnecessary and smacks of elitism, although I don't really know why they do it, given that post-doc researchers are intelligent by nature and don't need to willy wave their intellect surely?

For instance the kind of terms i'm supposed to learn but am still baffled with:

Epistemology
Ontology
Neuronal plasticity
Behaviourism
Constructivism
so and so "posit"
Ethnoscience

I could go on and on.... :rolleyes: :boring:

krish

Distinguished Member
if you can give something a new name, it makes it easier to get funding :D

e.g. in this "post genomic" era so many areas of biological science have been renamed (xxxx)omics
- genomics, proteomics, metabalomics, transcriptomics, etc etc .... then place other words in front of them such as strutural, functional, computational etc etc

overkill

Distinguished Member
Anyone here doing or done any post-grad study?

Maybe I am just very ignorant (what does that mean? :rolleyes: ) but the hardest thing about it is the language I am confronted with.

Half of it seems completely unnecessary and smacks of elitism, although I don't really know why they do it, given that post-doc researchers are intelligent by nature and don't need to willy wave their intellect surely?

For instance the kind of terms i'm supposed to learn but am still baffled with:

Epistemology
Ontology
Neuronal plasticity
Behaviourism
Constructivism
so and so "posit"
Ethnoscience

I could go on and on.... :rolleyes: :boring:
Neuronal plasticity?!:D Is that a long winded way of saying your brain is like a piece of playdoh that when you read the Daily Mail it moulds it into an immigrant hating, intolerant, bigots brain pattern?;)

Smacks of elitism? Willy waving? Surely not? ;)

Well actually yes, they do. As my MA tutors pointed out, in my case in history, if the writer lapses into 'big words' or worse uses French or Latin in modern history monographs, then the 'willy waving' alert will be on defcon 1! :D

Nothing some intellectuals love more than showing how much smarter than you they are.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom