Lane guidance useful or just a gimmick?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by waggy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. waggy

waggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking to buy a satnav soon as I'm probably buying a golf mk4 tomorrow - my first car :clap:.

Now I've been looking at the navigon 1200 partly due to its £70 price tag but mainly because of its lane guidance.

Since im new to driving (only passed in dec), the lane guidance does sound very handy to replace my driving instructor. Is lane guidance all that useful though or am I likely to be ignoring it within a month once I'm accustomed to driving on my own?

Also, can you stick the tomtom software on the navigons? I've read the navigons can be a bit slow to recalculate, routes so it would be handy to switch between software. Also I've read conflicting reports that the navigons come with text to speech. Even though I'm not particularly sure of its usefulness, do some models come with it?

Thanks!

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    If by "lane guidance" you mean it tells you which lane to take, yes it's well useful, imo.
    The amount of times you keep left and then run into a left turn only lane is mad.

3. waggy

waggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers, looks like i'll be splashing out on a Navigon 2100 Max. Sounds great for £92.