• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Landlord issues..

Hixxy9241

I have been renting privately for nearly 2 years but gave my landlord my notice which requires my to leave on the 28/03/19

I am renting from a friend of a friend

I have moved half my belongings mainly the large items but have been mainly living in my new property as it is closer to work then after work going back to the old property to load my car up ect

The week I gave my notice the landlord asked if he could get a few estate agents to come view the property which I did not have any issues with but when he arrived the morning in question he sprung on me that he had a few couple coming to view the property as new tenants

He has recently asked for a photographer to come to the house to take photos I assume to advertise the house which I informed him the house is not ready for photos as I am in the process of sorting my things out to move

Today I got a text message from the landlord saying he has been to the house and is simply not happy with how the house is and needs it ready for photos or he will need to hire cleaners to come clean the house with the cost been deducted from my deposit

I was not aware he was going to the house today and as far as I am aware I have till the 28th to clear the house?

Has the landlord broken any rules here as I am sure he has such as he can not just turn up to the house when I am not their to inspect when he knows I am in the process of moving

Any input would be appreciated

jassco

Distinguished Member
I can't remember the exact laws but yes he's not allowed to enter without your permission with the exception of an emergency (flooding, fire etc). By doing so he's trespassing(?). He has no right to take photos or clean / charge you for cleaning until you've moved out.

I would refuse all entry for him now. You could offer to have viewings with 24 hours notice, and then tell them what he's like as a landlord

Hixxy9241

yes my deposit is in the deposit scheme

i had to go to work the day he was meant to be getting valuations but my girlfriend said while there was people doing viewings they asked her to leave the room so they could talk to the landlord

he shouldn't be taking photos till after I leave?

Hixxy9241

I'm working this weekend and said to my girlfriend imagine if I got home after work to find the landlord tidying the house or moving our stuff around!

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Problem lies with how easy it is for any old person/idiot to become a landlord.

Hixxy9241

the property is gated and was Locked but I did not no the landlord had a key to the lock

it is very annoying as Im not sure when he is going to turn up and I work long hours

Hixxy9241

all the stress of this and my girlfriend has just pointed out he sent a message at 1415 telling us he has the photographer coming tomorrow morning to make photos

obviously this is not sufficient notice

shahedz

Distinguished Member
all the stress of this and my girlfriend has just pointed out he sent a message at 1415 telling us he has the photographer coming tomorrow morning to make photos

obviously this is not sufficient notice
Tell him that . Message him is below 24 hour. He can give you a
Notice again but the contents of the flat are as they are and you’re not moving them to accommodate him.

Hixxy9241

update!

just been to the house and like I mentioned the front gate was locked...the landlord has forced entry by breaking the lock off the back gate

Attachments

• 20190317_192037.jpg
    20190317_192037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
OP - don't stress about this.

Your landlord is being an arsehole so just try and get out as soon as you can and get your deposit back in full.

This is why I don't miss renting....

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Who installed the facility to lock the back gate?
If was the tenant, the landlord might try to be arsey about unauthorised modifications,

In spite of this, the property is the tenants home and the landlord is not allowed to enter in the tenant's absence.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
As you’re renting from a friend of a friend, is there any way your friend could have a quiet word in the landlords ear that they are actually breaking the law?

Hopefully make the landlord see they need to back off.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
This is breaking and entering - report it to the police
100%.

The landlord is behaving no different to any burglar and the police are duty bound to view his behaviour in exactly the same way.

It's your home, it's even your gate (while it's your home).

Based on his actions so far you were never getting your full deposit back anyway, so kiss a chunk of it goodbye and send this cowboy to landlord school just for your own entertainment.

The Dude

Distinguished Member

AVFan_01

Firstly the landlord should seek permission to enter the property to do what he needs to, unless there is an emergency (fire, gas leak etc). Taking photos, cleaning is not classed as an emergency.

As for the landlord moving stuff around (for photos) is not on. I would write (make sure its in writing - email, letter etc), letting the landlord know that since he has entered the house without your permission it is not acceptable. Let him know that he can now only enter the house with your written permission. You can also say he can only enter when you (or someone appointed by you) is present. I would also let him know that he may not enter the property using his key, but must be let in.

He also can not charge you for cleaning fees, unless the cleaning he undertakes is after your tenancy has expired. You could leave the house in a tip, and then clean it on the last day you are living there.

Whilst the lanlord has acted unreasonably, I can see it from his point of view. He wants the house let from the day you leave, thus minimising any period the house maybe left empty.

Not all landlords are like this. However working with you, is a much better way of doing this and the approach I would undertake. Another thing the landlord can do is organise viewings on one day, thus minimising the disruption to you. In return maybe you could for that one day, make the house presentable. For me its a bit of give and take on both sides. However the tenant is well within his right not to "give and take". This is where if the landlord has a good relationship with the tenants helps a lot.

Last edited:
Problem lies with how easy it is for any old person/idiot to become a landlord.

and all landlords don't do this as a 'service' - they only have their own interests at heart...they will try and stitch up the tenants anyway they can... makes me angry when I read posts like this (what the OP is experiencing)

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
He also can not charge you for cleaning fees, unless the cleaning he undertakes is after your tenancy has expired. You could leave the house in a tip, and then clean it on the last day you are living there.
And he can only deduct cleaning fees for any dirt/mess that is considered unreasonable. Any decent landlord will have someone come in and do a deep clean between tenants anyway so that cost is on them regardless.

He could only bill you if he can show evidence that it is unreasonably dirty. For example I had a tenant once leave nearly 2 dozen black bags of rubbish piled up in the garden shed. Add that to the 15 more that I filled from the crap left in the house (including half burned sh*tty nappies in the fireplace) and I felt I was quite entitled to deduct the cost of a skip.

On the other hand the next tenant also left the place filthy. I'm pretty sure he never cleaned anything once in the 4 years he stayed (my own fault for not carrying out better inspections) but I didn't feel I had anything that would justify docking his deposit as it was general dirt and mess (just a lot of it).

AVFan_01

and all landlords don't do this as a 'service' - they only have their own interests at heart...they will try and stitch up the tenants anyway they can... makes me angry when I read posts like this (what the OP is experiencing)

Of course the landlords do it for their own interests. Same as tenants only rent as it is in their interests. Tenants dont rent a property, as they want to pay the lanlords mortgage or contribute to the landlords retirement fund.

As for landlords "will try and stich up the tenants anyway they can". Never read so much rubbish.

There are pretty bad landlords out there, however there are also some pretty bad tenants. Both sides need to do their due diligence and make sure they get someone decent.

And he can only deduct cleaning fees for any dirt/mess that is considered unreasonable. Any decent landlord will have someone come in and do a deep clean between tenants anyway so that cost is on them regardless.

He could only bill you if he can show evidence that it is unreasonably dirty. For example I had a tenant once leave nearly 2 dozen black bags of rubbish piled up in the garden shed. Add that to the 15 more that I filled from the crap left in the house (including half burned sh*tty nappies in the fireplace) and I felt I was quite entitled to deduct the cost of a skip.

On the other hand the next tenant also left the place filthy. I'm pretty sure he never cleaned anything once in the 4 years he stayed (my own fault for not carrying out better inspections) but I didn't feel I had anything that would justify docking his deposit as it was general dirt and mess (just a lot of it).

Yes you are correct, landlord can only charge for cleaning outside of what is deemed as normal wear and tear.

Of course the landlords do it for their own interests. Same as tenants only rent as it is in their interests. Tenants dont rent a property, as they want to pay the lanlords mortgage or contribute to the landlords retirement fund.

As for landlords "will try and stich up the tenants anyway they can". Never read so much rubbish.

There are pretty bad landlords out there, however there are also some pretty bad tenants. Both sides need to do their due diligence and make sure they get someone decent.

Yes you are correct, landlord can only charge for cleaning outside of what is deemed as normal wear and tear.

when a tenant moves out - the landlord loses income, hence they'll try and keep the deposit for any reason, why do you think the government deposit scheme was brought in?

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Any good landlord factors in a void peroid. Only a idiot buys a property and thinks it won't have a void peroid in between tenants.

I always decorate inbetween tenants to my cost. I won't deduct wear and tear from clients unless there has been any malicious damage.

I use that time in between to decorate the property , professinally clean it and make any repairs.

This landlord sounds far from a professinal one and just seems concerned by any void inbetween.

@reiteration The TDS was bought in to help both sides.. There are just as many dodgy tenants as there landlords .

Last edited:

AVFan_01

when a tenant moves out - the landlord loses income, hence they'll try and keep the deposit for any reason, why do you think the government deposit scheme was brought in?

So they could catch landlords who were not declaring the extra income they earned from renting a property. It had very little if anything to do with tenants rights. However thats how it was sold.

Edit - Although the TDS has stopped a lot of landlords from unfairly not returning the deposits and/or keeping large chunks of it. Which is a good thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom