• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Land of the Giants - *MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

drunkenmaster

Does anybody know how this classic series ended did they get back to earth or were they on earth?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't mind knowing this too, never saw the last one. I suspect they never made it back though.

Wikipedia said:
They do not achieve the second objective, however, since the primary systems of their craft, the Spindrift, are heavily damaged. The secondary systems are insufficient to allow take-off and the sub-orbital flight required. They are unable to successfully integrate the native technology as it is bulky and less advanced; in one episode, an experimental nuclear reactor provided by an engineering student produces dangerous side effects and is prone to overload. They also cannot implicitly trust the giants who might be able to offer the Earth people a ride home in exchange for technical assistance.

Kevo

Did any of these old us tv series end?

I commented on another post recently how dissapointed I was when the old Planet of the Apes tv series ended abruptly due to 'lack of funds'.

How about these from the 70s...

Kung Fu. Wasn't he looking for his brother? Did he ever find him?

The Quest (when Kurt Russell was a 'child star')
Sister this time? Did they find her?

Branded (Chuck Connors).
Did he ever clear his name?

The Hulk.
Did Dr Banner ever find a cure?

There were countless others that I can't remember if they ever concluded...

Logan's Run, Fantastic Journey, The Invaders, Invisible Man, Spiderman etc.

Probably left open for lucrative further seasons (ala 'Lost')

Think we need Garratt's help here.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
what a fantastic thread!

how about we open a "how did it end" thread!

spoiler warnings of course!

Leeray3

'how about we open a "how did it end" thread'
:thumbsup:

Did Sam ever get home in Quantum Leap? Never did find out.

By the way didn't the Hulk die, he/it fell out of an aeroplane or a helicopter and died on the runway.

Cable Monkey

UFO ran for a single series but was not taken up by the Americans despite attempts to appeal to that market (American boss etc). Plans for a second series revolved more around the base on the moon and when it fell through Gerry Anderson took it away, revamped it and came up with Space 1999. This then floundered when the Andersons marriage broke up and Gerry bought in outside help for the second series. The series 2 episodes attracted much criticism, not least from the cast (Martin Landau resented American influence on subject matter and the way stories were told). Finally the series 3 budget was exactly the same as the advertising budget for Raise the Titanic and folklore has it that in view of poor ratings during series 2, Lew Grade chose to spend the money advertising his turkey of a movie. A spin off involving the character Maya was also axed at that point.

As an asides, I am not sure that a conclusion is always the best way to do things. Hands up those that felt cheated by the way both Voyager and Enterprise were wound up. The i's were dotted and the t's crossed but both still felt premature to me.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
im not a trek fan but still love to know what hapend in the end?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Garrett

:thumbsup:

Did Sam ever get home in Quantum Leap? Never did find out.

By the way didn't the Hulk die, he/it fell out of an aeroplane or a helicopter and died on the runway.
Yes it was stated in the last episode he never got home.

Yes he died the story was also called The Death of the Incredible Hulk and Bill Bixby died 3 years later in real life:(

mongosito

Banned
UFO ran for a single series but was not taken up by the Americans despite attempts to appeal to that market (American boss etc). Plans for a second series revolved more around the base on the moon and when it fell through Gerry Anderson took it away, revamped it and came up with Space 1999. This then floundered when the Andersons marriage broke up and Gerry bought in outside help for the second series. The series 2 episodes attracted much criticism, not least from the cast (Martin Landau resented American influence on subject matter and the way stories were told). Finally the series 3 budget was exactly the same as the advertising budget for Raise the Titanic and folklore has it that in view of poor ratings during series 2, Lew Grade chose to spend the money advertising his turkey of a movie. A spin off involving the character Maya was also axed at that point.

As an asides, I am not sure that a conclusion is always the best way to do things. Hands up those that felt cheated by the way both Voyager and Enterprise were wound up. The i's were dotted and the t's crossed but both still felt premature to me.

UFO was screened on US tv,not by a big network but like Space 1999 it was sold to affiliates.

If you watch the UFO/Space 1999 documentaries or any of the books you will see that UFO was having a successful run in the US which prompted ITC New York to sanction a second season.
As you say this was going to be set on the Moon.

However after doing an awful lot of preparation for the second season UFO suddenly had a drop in ratings and the second season was cancelled,but Gerry Anderson suggested to Lew Grade that all the prep done could be saved and incorporated into an all new show that became Space 1999

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom