1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lance Armstrong comeback?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Dr Diversity, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see that Lance is no longer ruling out a comeback. He might come back just to 'p*ss off the French'. I have to say that there is no finer cause for doing anything than just to p*ss of the French :D

Story here

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    I think he should stay retired - going out at top is perfect. Of course, he'd prob win anyway....:rolleyes: Although coming back to p*** off French...joking aside, thats not very professional from a sporting perspective

But the french media are to blame. God forbid that a non-frenchman wins the tour de france :eek: :rolleyes: They're either jealous, bitter or arrogant.

Arrogant 'cos they say the Tour takes 2 years off a life of a rider, due to its difficulty. So they can't accept someone can win for 7 straight years, let alone a non-frenchman

But Lance worked damn hard to come back from death. The french media need to get over themselves and move on

3. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The guy is a legend...but he's still not as good as Greg "I really don't know when I'm beat" LeMond.

In 1986 LeMond won the Tour de France, beating off stiff competition from his own teammate Bernard Hinault. LeMond, the young, brash american pretender, hadn't read the script that year, as Hinault clearly thought the tour was his for the taking...there was one great moment during a stage when Hinault finaly realised that he couldn't contain LeMond any longer, and the two riders crested a hill hand in hand...before Hinault released his grip and let LeMond right off ahead of him - that's sportsmanship!

Just when LeMond seemed to be on top of the cycling world, tragedy struck when his brother-in-law accidentally shot him while out hunting! He was left with horrific injuries, and was lucky to survive given the remote location.

When LeMond announced he was going to make a comeback and win the Tour de France again, everybody laughed.

But they weren't laughing when he actually did it, winning the tour for the second time in 1989. The fact that he made a winning return to the sport was pretty stirring stuff...but the way in which he did it was just plain amazing to watch. For three-weeks he dragged his body around the course, somehow keeping himself in contention with the race leader. It all came down to the final day...and he won it by just 8 seconds (the fact that he pipped a frenchman to prize made it all the sweeter!).

And just for good measure, he only went and won it again the following year!

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

50/50 for me....I don't think you can be confident of the view one way or the other.

Armstrong has been awesome in the Tour de France over the last few years and absolutely dominated the opposition in the mountain stages when it counted.

He absolutely must remain retired in my opinion....I think you cheapen your career when you can't admit enough is enough and you try and relive past glories. His last tour was surely a fitting end.

I remember being really disappointed when Michael Jordan put on a basketball jersey yet again when he was past his best. If he had stayed retired everyone interested in the sport would remember his last touch of the ball being the two pointer in the final seconds of a championship decider game against the Jazz that won the Bulls yet another championship...what a way to have gone out :thumbsup:

5. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lance Armstrong's record setting seventh Tour de France victory, along
    with his entire Tour de France legacy, may be tarnished by what could turn
    out to be one of the greatest sports scandals of all time. Armstrong is
    being quizzed by French police after three banned substances were found in his South France hotel room while on vacation after winning the 2005 Tour de France.

The three substances found were toothpaste, deodorant, and soap which have been banned by French authorities for over 75 years.

Armstrong's girlfriend and American rocker Sheryl Crowe is quoted as
    saying "We use them every day in America, so we naturally thought they'd
    be ok throughout Europe." Along with these three banned substances, French authorities also found several other interesting items that they have never seen before, including a backbone and testicles.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    :rotfl: good one mate !
    Typical French, they can't stand it that an American has dominated the tour for so long, I think he should stay retired and finish at the top.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,262
    especially the way L'Equipe seem to be after him... :rolleyes:

My worry is... Lance makes his comeback, doesn't win, and tests clean all the way through the tour, at which point L'Equipe will say 'see, we told you so..' :thumbsdow

It's a shame Armstrong and Lemond weren't around on the same tours, that would have been just an awesome matchup.

LeMond beating Fignon that year was the best ever single-tour achievement for me too.. He was in a 'one-man' team riding against the Team-leader of the strongest team on the tour... I remember him cracking completely in the alps two days running, amazing he even made it to the end of the stage both times..!

I reckon you'd need silver bullets to kill Greg LeMond, his brother must have been using the wrong ammo.. :D