1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN - Trouble connecting Win XP PC to Win 98 PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Triggaaar, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I've built my new PC, and I'm trying to connect it to my old PC, to copy files etc (old PC doesn't have a CD writer).

I've gone through the Network Setup Wizard for setting up a home network. This included creating a floppy with the program for the Win 98 machine, which I've also run. I followed the recommended connection method.

The PCs are connected using Ethernet cables, which are both attached to a Netgear router (both machines are able to go online through the router).

Under Explorer, Network Neighbourhood, the Win 98 PC can see the Name of the new PC, but says it is not accessible (note, I've shared drives on both machines).

The Win XP machine does not allow me access to Mshome (under Explorer, Network Neighbourhood). It says 'You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator...' etc. But I have admin rights.

Any ideas what I can do?
    Many thanks

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    you're better dragging the files using the XP PC.

1 Do both machines have an IP address in the same range, ie 192.168.0.??? with the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ?

If so, try this on the XP PC:

Start > Run >

then type \\oldpcname\sharename and hit OK

that outta do it? :)

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Hi dude. How do I check the IP address of each machine?

I assume they are in that range, and using the command above gives me a reply of '\\oldpcname\sharename The network path was not found'.

I've logged on to the router, and can't see any firewall info that might prevent a connection. And I've tried disabling the anti-virus software, but neither help.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    you'll have to change the oldPCname\sharename bits to fit the names you have chosen, in case that wasn't clear...?

IP address.. do this on both machines

W98 PC: start > run > command > ipconfig
    XP PC: start > run > cmd > ipconfig

do they match up near enough?

dont worry about AV, firewalls etc.... unless the 98 PC is running a SW firewall such as zonealarm etc?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use a Win98/XP network through a router just as you do and although it's working at the moment, in my previous installation it gave up the ghost and would only share in one direction. I'm currently sharing files and a printer on the XP machine and files on the 98 machines.

Can both of your computers access the internet through the router? If so then they should have the right IP and subnet addresses but to check:
    On the Win98 machine type winipcfg into the Run... command. You can release and renew from there too.

On the XP machine open a command prompt type ipconfig /all . You can use the switches /release and /renew to release and renew on the XP machine.

Also make sure that the file and print sharing protocol is installed on both machines.

Rather than running \\computername\sharename you can just \\computername to access the root shares on that computer.

For example, on my network I can run \\mesh1 to access the files & printers on the machine in folder view or \\mesh1\Documents to go straight into the Documents folder on that machine. I've found that sometimes this works even if the folders aren't available through Network Neighbourhood. :)

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    lol
    I'm not great with LANs, but I got that bit right.
    I've spent a few hours trying to get XP to see Win98, and failing. Win98 could see WinXP's name on explorer, but not connect. I've just switched of XPs anti virus, and all of a sudden, Win98 could see it. Then I tried your suggested command from WinXP, and it could see my Win98 machine, and I can now select MShome, without the message I mentioned above.

As soon as I enable either machine's anti virus, that machine cannot be seen. Is there a way for me to change the AV software to allow the other machine through? (one has AVG, the other Norton IS)

Thanks for your help

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    I learned the hard way never to take anything for granted.. :D

have you tried accessing the share on thw win98 PC as i described with the AV turned off? that should work now I would have thought?

I don't know AVG, and can only say bad things about NIS... you'll need somebody else to help if ytou want to keep both machines running with AV..

me, i'd just turn everything off, and copy the files over. :)

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Just to clarrify, it is working now. Just not with AV active.

I think I'll just disconnect from the internt, switch AV off, and copy, as you suggest.

Cheers

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use AVG on all of my machines and it doesn't cause any networking problems at all. :)