lan over telephone line

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by flamingoboo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, I am having trouble connecting my ps3 wirelessly to my wireless modem router which is in my office.

Luckily or not I have an unused phoneline that runs from the office to my living room that comes out by the ps3. What I would ideally like to do is use the cable in the wall as an ethernet cable. I have checked the cable and it is a very thin untwisted four core cable. Is this suitable to run lan over, the run is only 8 meters long.

I have looked here and it seems that it may be possible but this example does use cat5 cable but does only use four cores.

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/mixed.html

Would I need a port/swich? could i just plug the ps3 directly to this cable if I reterminate the ends of this cable to a RJ45 conection?

Any networking guys be able to help?

2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Strictly, 10BaseT or 100BaseTX Ethernet need Cat5 cable. IIRC telephone cable is Cat3. 10/100Mb Ethernet only uses 4 cores so it's certainly worth a try for a small 8m length, but isn't guaranteed.

Easiest way I can think of would be to terminate the 4 wires onto either RJ45 sockets and use a couple of patch leads, or directly onto RJ45 plugs. The sockets and patch leads would be my preferred method as punching down onto the IDC is a doddle compared with crimping plugs. Just make sure you get the cores (1, 2, 3 and 6) in the right place in the sockets/plugs. A quick google should sort you out with a pretty picture. Also look at an existing patch lead to see where they go. If you use sockets then they are usually colour coded.

Infact the infomation is under the section 'Planning - The hard work' in the link you've provided, as a table.

I am also assuming your 'wireless modem router' has some RJ45/Ethernet sockets/ports. If it has then just plug your new cable runout (essentially a long patch lead) into it.

<tangent>Many years ago there was a standard called 100VG-AnyLan created by a company (Xerox maybe?) that was designed to run over Cat3, but it didn't take off. </tangent.

Regards,

Kris.

3. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Why not just get a 10m patch cable and use the telephone cable to pull it through?