Lan Gaming ??

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sirata, Sep 13, 2004.

1. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I am a 40 something, who enjoys shoot m ups , my oldish friend has recently
    bought a lap top,which plays games at a decent rate, i would like to be able to connect the 2 machines together, to play against each other.
    My questions are
    1/ is this possible ?, and if so what leads/programs do i need

2/ what games support this, the sort of thing i am after is like my nephew
    had an n64 and we played goldeneye split screen, hunting each other down.

Thanks for your help, sorry for these basic questions.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    1) Do you have a router already? You may have a router for broadband you could use, simply plug in the other PC using a straight-through CAT5 cable.

2) If you don't have a hub/router, then the cheapest way is to buy a crossover CAT5 cable and make sure both the laptop and PC have a network card. Usually if they are recent PCs this will be a standard on the motherboards.

It all then depends on your OS and what games you want to play for setup.

TBH I have found that not many PC games are that great for 2 player, I guess I am spoiled with online play, which can have up to 1000 players at a time or more :)

It is most probably worth having a look at Half-Life, the awesome Sven Co-Op mod is great for 2 players. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is also really good two player.

You could also get Unreal Tournament or Quake III for shooting.

Tough to say without knowing your specs.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    If you look through this and lan gameing threads you will probably find lots of earlier answers that will help you.

but a quick summary:

2 x network cards + 1 x cross over cable ( available on line or from PC World etc )

no software required - just manually set up ip address in network settings for both computers and fire away.

.... however if you wish to connect more than 2 pc's

2 x network cards ( + 1 for each addtional pc ) a network hub / switch
    2 x network cables ( + 1 for each additional pc )

network cards in each pc - cable into the hub - set up the ip addresses - fire away.

If you need specific help or more details and can't find it on the other older threads just ask.

With games - look to see if they have a multiplayer option - and if they can 'host' a game.
    That means that one computer manages the game and the other joins it as a 'client'
    Some games only allow multiplayer game play online using offical servers and services - though these are less frequent than the more common games that allow local hosting.

I sugguest you look at the multiplayer games that take your fancy .... then just ask us on here or do a web search for whether they can local host.

PS: any replication from Sinzers post is due to him being a pain in the bum by posting while I was typeing :p

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find RTS and TBS games are best for 2 player LAN matchups. (Real Time Strategy and Turn-Based Strategy, respectively) Either fighting against each other, or as a 2-man team against several computer opponents.

Civ II, Alpha Centauri, Warcraft, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, etc...

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    You also need to consider what OS you are runing. For example if you are both runing Windows XP its very easy to conect up 2 or more PCs. However, if one PC is, say windows 98 and the other XP it might be harder. And maybe imposible if you are trying to conect a Mac PC with a windows based PC.

Hardware wise, the people above already told you everything you need to know.

6. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    It only gets more difficult with OS's if hes trying to share documents / resources etc ... if its purely a network level connection - then Opsys is not an issue.
    He only needs to have a computer capable of playing the game and hosting it.
    Usually this simply requires UDP and TCP socket connections - and thats TCP/IP protocol specific not OPsys.

PS: I'm not sure about Mac networking - but I am assuming they can handle connection to NTFS shares - much like you can have Windows boxes think they are accessing another Windows box with Samba on Linux.

7. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for your quick replies,you have given me all the info i was after,thanks
    very much