Lan ethernet connection on HDD DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by henryv, Jun 13, 2009.

1. henryv

henryv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Do any of the top brands offer a HDD dvd recorder with a Lan Ethernet connection for updating firmware?

Henry.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Hi Henry.

I do not think so.

There is only some of the pioneer models which offer an ethernet connection... but such things seem so restricted as to be near useless.
    [The new Freesat Panasonics have ethernet too - but again very limited in use]

A point needs to be made that it is not the plan [ of the quality makers] to update firmware at all.

They only ever do it to address fault issues that arise in reception software.... and they would rather that never happened at all... so that they would never have to provide updates.

3. henryv

henryv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks Gavtech,
    Panasonic and Oppo regularly issue firmware updates on their DVD and BluRay players.
    I notice the new Oppo bluray , when it is launched in Europe,
    will have a Lan ethernet connection.
    I have just bought a Panasonic BluRay BD60, and have just updated the latest firmware via its 'Lan' connection.
    Even though it is not the intention of to manufacturers to issue firmware, they are doing it all the time.
    Or is it different for HDD DVD recorders?

Henry.:):):)