LAN cable disconnected

-Spike-

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Setup my PS5 this afternoon and I had several notifications of the lan cable being disconnected.
It’s connected securely and downloads carried on without any problems.
Its almost like the cable isn’t compatible in some sort of way.
Anyone else had this happen?

Just so you know this isn't a universal issue I'll say that I don't have this problem using a LAN connection myself.

If there is a switch and other items also connected you could perhaps try temporarily removing others items to help trouble-shoot?

Thanks for your reply.
No nothing in between the router and PS5.
Ive been looking into this and it is mentioned quite a lot on various forums.
It could be a compatibility issue with my Netgear Nighthawk router but trying a new lan cable next.

In case it's helpful I have a Plusnet Hub One (essentially a BT Home Hub 5) connected to a Netgear GS305 switch via one of these ethernet cables (25m long):

Amazon product ASIN B07RKLW79S
My PS5 is then connected to the switch by one of these cables (1m long):

Amazon product ASIN B08D3TB4F5
I'll be honest I'm doubtful that the cable you are using is likely to be an issue here though. How does WiFi compare out of interest? This could be an issue more with your internet connection to the wider world...

I doubt it’s the cable as well but I’ll try another cable on a different router port next and then if I still get the notification I’ll try WiFi.

So I had this after about 2 months of having the PS5. Originally no issues using the same Cat6 cable I used with my PS4 Pro into a desktop switch>homeplug>router but then it started saying LAN disconnected every few minutes sometimes.
Swapped the cable out for another and all has been fine since and that was 3 months ago.

Definitely try a new cable first just in case but change cable first, then change port on the router.
If no luck maybe just reboot the router.

So I had this after about 2 months of having the PS5. Originally no issues using the same Cat6 cable I used with my PS4 Pro into a desktop switch>homeplug>router but then it started saying LAN disconnected every few minutes sometimes.
Swapped the cable out for another and all has been fine since and that was 3 months ago.

Definitely try a new cable first just in case but change cable first, then change port on the router.
If no luck maybe just reboot the router.
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve setup the PS5 with manual network settings inc a static IP and since then I haven’t seen the message.
Not totally sure yet if that’s fixed it or not but I have another cable to try from another router port should it happen again.

Thanks for the reply.
I’ve setup the PS5 with manual network settings inc a static IP and since then I haven’t seen the message.
Not totally sure yet if that’s fixed it or not but I have another cable to try from another router port should it happen again.

Interesting as that wouldn't affect the cable showing as disconnected. I have a feeling there might be a bug in the network driver on the PS5 so by changing to static and restarting the network it came back ok. Possible that going back to DHCP will work as well but I guess if it's all ok atm then best to leave it.

Either that or the LAN cable disconnected is just an error that covers all sorts of network issues.

Spoke too soon :(
Message appeared again this evening.
It must have been 10-15 hours of gaming since it last happened, surely it can’t be the cable?
Changed for a different LAN cable from another router port.

Spoke too soon :(
Message appeared again this evening.
It must have been 10-15 hours of gaming since it last happened, surely it can’t be the cable?
Changed for a different LAN cable from another router port.

See how it goes. It can be the cable especially if it’s got a dodgy copper connection or maybe getting interference intermittently. Also a dodgy router port could be the issue.

See how it goes. It can be the cable especially if it’s got a dodgy copper connection or maybe getting interference intermittently. Also a dodgy router port could be the issue.
Yes I can't rule that out at the moment but the cable has been working flawlessly on another device before the PS5. As far as the internet connection goes we stream Sonos all day and Netflix, Disney and Apple TV in the evenings with no issues at all and I game online everyday on the Series X without any drops at all.

I may order that Primewire cable you have used above but I need 5m and they appear to be sold out. That ethernet cable appears to have a metal connector, none of mine do so it may be worth a go if I can find one that's a 5m length.

Last edited:
Yes I can't rule that out at the moment but the cable has been working flawlessly on another device before the PS5. As far as the internet connection goes we stream Sonos all day and Netflix, Disney and Apple TV in the evenings with no issues at all and I game online everyday on the Series X without any drops at all.

I may order that Primewire cable you have used above but I need 5m and they appear to be sold out. That ethernet cable appears to have a metal connector, none of mine do so it may be worth a go if I can find one that's a 5m length.

Think the cable link was posted by someone else

You don't need metal plated connectors just good quality cable with well wired plugs. I'm not a fan of flat cables personally but then I use the ones I use at work which are top rated shielded datacentre cables :)
I have to say previously at work I've used cheap patch cables and have experienced exactly what you are getting where there are random disconnects - had to replace every single one eventually.

If it's interference as opposed to the cable connector then going for Cat 6A will help with that as each pair of wires is individually shielded as well as the whole bundle.

If it's interference as opposed to the cable connector then going for Cat 6A will help with that as each pair of wires is individually shielded as well as the whole bundle
Aren't there two types of Cat 6A, both shielded and unshielded twisted pair?

It was me that posted the links above and I just shared them as an example if what I went for rather that saying what was necessary. It was shielding that made me choose the ones I did. It was a while ago that I looked now but from memory I think the advantage of the metal ends was to shield the full length rather than having gaps at each end in the connectors. The cost difference was minimal for what I needed so I thought 'why not'.

The long cable is flat purely as it helps with one part of where it is routed. What I looked into this I could find no performance downside to worry about.

It was you that posted the links Ultrasonic, sorry my bad.
The cable I had been using was flat and clipped in to the ethernet port really well, had a job getting it out.
I've ordered this to try which is slightly longer than the replacement I'm trying at the moment.
Amazon product ASIN B0842PM85X

Yeh think so but I'd never even give them a second glance - Cat7 was when you don't get a choice. :)

@-Spike- well with that you should be able to get downloads going at 40Gb or more which would be nice :rotfl:
Hope it sorts it, last thing you want is a dodgy port on the PS5 itself. Maybe try wiggling the cable and see if the LAN disconnects once you have the new cable.

A lot of switches on routers and the cheaper switches don't have metal ports anyway so you are going to not be benefitting from a shielded cable. It might make things worse as it might as there is no ground for the shield. "Proper" switches will have metal plated sockets so you can use shielded cables correctly.

If it's interference as opposed to the cable connector then going for Cat 6A will help with that as each pair of wires is individually shielded as well as the whole bundle.

There are 3 UTP (no shields), FTP (outers shield) and S/FTP individual pair shielding plus outer.

I do wonder if there was an intermittment problem with the cable\switch before and the device just didn't tell you.

I also have this issue and have had it for ages, multiple cables etc 🙄

I also have this issue and have had it for ages, multiple cables etc 🙄

It's possible this is a fault with the network port on your PS5.

It's possible this is a fault with the network port on your PS5.
Yeah that’s what I think it is, just need to pull my finger out and call Sony

Hi all,
Just an update on this.
The IBRA CAT8 cable (post #14) was the only one I could find at the time that was 6m and as I didn’t want or need a 10m cable I ordered it. I didn't need a CAT8 cable either but it may have been luck that I got it...

I’ve routed it as far away from power cables as I can and it’s plugged in to a different port on my router.
Since using the cable at the start of April I haven’t had anymore prompts of LAN Cable disconnected :)
I’ve also since read on another forum some who have this and used a CAT8 cable no longer have the issue.

So with my PS5 I noticed that my disconnects happen when the console gets hot. The port is right where the heat vents. I think that this is a bit of a design flaw. After an aggravating 20 minutes of continuous messages it will usually stop. Same as above with this being the same cable that I used for my PS4 and PS4 pro with no issues.

Hi all,
Just an update on this.
The IBRA CAT8 cable (post #14) was the only one I could find at the time that was 6m and as I didn’t want or need a 10m cable I ordered it. I didn't need a CAT8 cable either but it may have been luck that I got it...

I’ve routed it as far away from power cables as I can and it’s plugged in to a different port on my router.
Since using the cable at the start of April I haven’t had anymore prompts of LAN Cable disconnected :)
I’ve also since read on another forum some who have this and used a CAT8 cable no longer have the issue.
Have you had any issues since? Been having this problem since last week and it's driving me crazy! I just replaced all my cables last year and have had no problems since PS5 launch until now. ☹️

Nothing has changed, same cables, same router.

Have you had any issues since? Been having this problem since last week and it's driving me crazy! I just replaced all my cables last year and have had no problems since PS5 launch until now. ☹️

Nothing has changed, same cables, same router.
Hiya,

Not since April when I fitted the cable so it's looking like it's fixed :)

Hiya,

Not since April when I fitted the cable so it's looking like it's fixed :)
Awesome, thank you! 👍

I'm going to try a few other things first since my PS5 is pretty far from the router and I just fitted the cable under the floorboards about 6 months ago so it's going to he a pain to replace.

Awesome, thank you! 👍

I'm going to try a few other things first since my PS5 is pretty far from the router and I just fitted the cable under the floorboards about 6 months ago so it's going to he a pain to replace.
Good luck. The IBRA CAT8 definitely seems to have done the trick. I've also seen it mentioned on other forums that changing to a CAT8 has resolved it for others, can't explain why.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom