Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LAN Bandwidth & Streaming Video

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a HCPC in comms room driving my PJ, the kids had a small Portable for watching the odd Vid etc and it's now toast. I've got enough bits to put together another PC and thought about streaming the video to the new PC, how would I do it and what bandwidth would I need?

My HCPC has a H3D in it so it can run multiple sources, could I send that video stream to the new PC over a LAN?

Steve

2. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you want to stream ? Live TV, hard disk MPEG/AVI (for the kids :eek:)...

There are a number of s/w products out there to do it, snapstream PVS rings a bell, and microsoft to netshow encoder which will take input from say a TV card and broadcast it on your lan.

I tried over wireless and it was rather poor, plus my tv card was not playing ball.

I guess 10Mb/100Mb should be plenty as long as you're not copying files across the n/w at the same time.

Video on demand over 512K DSL is possible, so 10Mb should be ok.

Note: A friend of mine has recently installed a 54Mb wireless lan and reports that he can easily play video files off his file server onto a roaming laptop.

Hope this helps.
    Frog

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 54Mb wireless lan and have no problems watching mpeg recordings from Nebula over the network.
    Interesting info from Frog re streaming software but Nebula isn't supported by anything else at the moment as far as I know.
    I have a Bt8?? card aswell so I'll look into streaming this.

I use Vnc to control and view desktops of my three networked pcs much easier than XP's 'remote support'. You can't use it to watch anything that produces a video overlay( as far as I know) but it's great for driving/starting Nebula recordings from my laptop etc. I also use it as 'big brother' to keep an eye on the lads pc internet access. Yes he does know, I have demonstrated it to him.

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeh got VNC to "tweak" my HTPC and Audio PC from my workstation but never managed to get video to play, thought it could be wireless bandwidth but probably not.

I just want to route the output from my H3D card to the other PC so they can view DVD/Video/Tivo/Live TV, this will probally be hard wired at 10/100

If I cant find another solution looks like they'll have to have a Nebula put in. I wanted to keep it as barebones and as locked down as posible.

Steve