LAN always on

MarkHudds

Novice Member
After a recent BIOS upgrade to my Asus A7N266-VM motherboard I've noticed that the LAN light (built into the motherboard) at the back stays on even when the PC is totally switched off. My router also shows the PC as connected when in the switched off state.

My other PC connected to the router does not exhibit this behaviour.

I've tried various settings in XP and in the BIOS but I can't seem to find away to get the LAN powered off when the PC is off!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
All my network cards do this - I think it's something to do with the Wake-On-Lan stuff. I've never bothered to try and switch them off to be honest as I don't think they'll be using mych power at all. When you say "totally switched off" does this mean you have unplugged the pc from the mains also, as I believe this will stop it.

D

DarkJedi

Your new BIOS must have enabled the "WOL" functionality.

WOL (Wake up On LAN) allows your computer to be switched on remotely from another machine on the network via use of a special utility.

If you don't need or want this then there should be an option in the BIOS to allow you to switch this off, probably under the Plug'n'Pray settings...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom