1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamp Life

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by captainH, Oct 24, 2004.

1. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi All, I just wondered how realistic manufacturer lamp-life estimates are. I have an Optoma Themescene H56 which I have owned for just over a year and used 700 hours. The lamp has just completely died on me despite always being very careful with it's cooling and the estimate for this model ebing 2000 hours :mad: Surely this is unnaceptabe or are these figures about as reliable as car manufacturer economy figures?

I will speak to the supplier I purchased this from but just wondered what everyones general opinion is about this.

Of course I'm assuming it's the lamp here. The fan starts, no lamp comes on, the fan stops after a few seconds. I have removed the lamp but it's diccicult to tell if it's blown. It's not completely black or anything but does make a bit of a rattling sound and looks a bit discoloured.

Thanks for any input.

2. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,I have a Sanyo Z1 and the lamp on that went after 12 months,don't know the exact usage but between 1000 - 1200 hrs.Another member has a Z1 and his went after 600hrs are we the exception or the norm.
    I agree with you that when figures of 2,000/3,000/4,000 are quoted a few hundred hours does not seem fair.
    How do the manufactures arrive at these figures is it like the Duracell bunny they switch a few on and then see which one lasts the longest and say thats the average.
    Perhaps we could have a Poll of Lamp Life to see if the quoted figures are realistic.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had my Toshiba MT3 for 3 years now. I changed the first bulb after just over 2 years. The display was indicating somewhere between 1000 and 2000 hours. I suspect it was around 1400. It is supposed to last up to 2000 hours. Thought I would change it before I was left in the dark, and retain the original as a spare. I must say that there was no difference in light level between the old and the new bulb. I should add that my projector NEVER moves, and I always power down only after the 3 minute fan cycle following standby.