lamp life?

R

remfanuk

hello...my first post.

i am looking at getting probably a plasma soon and have the usual concerns. i have heard mentioned elsewhere about "lamp life". what exactly is that and does it relate to plasmas? life expectancy is very important and have seen on this forum that plasmas last the same as crt's..is that right?

also, regarding screen burn. does that exrtend to the irritating logos of sky one etc that are displayed constantly, even through ad breaks? will they ruin a plasma screen? thanks for any advice.

Plasmas don't use lamps its not an issue.
lifetime is on a par with CRT.

LCD screens are normally backlit so there will be a lamp issue but the lights in lcd screens will be nowhere near as powerful as the ones in projectors for example where the lamp life factor really comes into play.

I doubt the bulbs in lcds have a lifetime shorter than a lot of the other components in the panels.

Lifetime could be a bit shorter than crt actually Keith..... I know we have long said leaky plasmas is a myth, but it turns out they may well do exactly that. Basic operation is such that the strains and stresses upon the glass may induce microcracks which the gas may be able to escape via..... this is theoretical so it may not be true. In any case, it does not alter the fact that the screen couldnt be recharged :D

ad

What about recharging?
Does this have to be regular or is it after many thousands of hours...I have heard it is very costly?

C

Chris read your mail! I need to confirm your address!

Originally posted by buns
Basic operation is such that the strains and stresses upon the glass may induce microcracks which the gas may be able to escape via..... this is theoretical so it may not be true. In any case, it does not alter the fact that the screen couldnt be recharged :D

ad

Hmm interesting. I'd have said you could maybe level the same leaky theory to CRTs though ( they become " gassed" over time as opposed to losing it)

I'll have to be naive and admit I know little of how CRT's work. The tube is evacuated, right? Without knowing numbers, I suspect that the mean free path of the electrons is enormous in a new tube so would need alot of 'gassing' to actually start causing issues. In any case, there would be a slow linear degradation I suspect. With a plasma, there can be very sharp nonlinear changes in plasma efficiency with pressure (i could show you it in the lab...... a tiny change in pressure can totally change the relative ratio of the plasma species)..... so it is possible that leaking could cause problems much more noticeably.

Of course its all just conjecture..... I would strongly hope that the whole thing is designed with a certain degree of play so exactly these issues dont arise! And in any case, I'd say it is almost certain that phosphor effects are going to dominate in both crt and plasma.

all the best and sorry for rambling!

Ad

it does seem all very experimental this plasma and lcd. considering the costs involved i am unsure whether to make the jump or not. i have seen large crt's going for less/same as similar spec plasmas. most mags i have read say that at present plasmas cant be beaten for pic quality...gonna take me some time to know what to do on this one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom