1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lamp life expactency on Infocus X!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jazzman, Oct 20, 2005.

1. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dear Members,

It has been less then 1 year since i bought my X1 and i probably used it around 600 to 700 hours lat time ichecked it was around 600 and something Unfortunatly 2 days ago i came home and turned it via the remote and it made some serious noise the image came on to my scream then a sandy picture and then BLACK, i tried to turn it on and off a few times and yes the red light is bilinking. I opened it cleaned the filters hoping that the worst didnt happen but nothing so i brought it to the repair shop a certified dealer and they said that the lamp was gone when i opened it the lamp was still in one piece but for some reason or another the lamp is no longer working the guy told me that everything was ok and the PJ didnt have any problems and a new lamp would do the job of running it back.

However the most important thing is that he said that i was luck he told me that most lamps fail after 3 or 5 hundred hours on X1 i wasnt expecting to use for 3000 or 4000 however common 500 or 700 hours thats not fair.

They dot have the spare lamp in stock and it cost arond 600 usd in turkey so instead of back ordering it and waiting a month i am asking a friend of mine who is going tin the states to get me one for 300 usd but should i expect the new lamp the run less then 1000 hours how are you guys doing with your lamp life.

Feed back on your lamp lives will be highly appreciated.

thanks and cheeeeerrrrrrrsssssss to all of you . :hiya:

2. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I,m sorry that I don't have a relevant reply, but the other night I dream't that my X1(700 hours) died in the same manner !!!

3. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    the first lamp on my H30 lasted just under 200 hours...I am getting nervous now as my replacement is coming close to that again and it is out of warranty...

4. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well to tell you the truth i am having one shipped from the us since they said that i should wait for a month in Turkey and that it would cost me around 550 usd whereas you can get one for 300 bucks from the states, eventhough the service assured me that it was just the lamp and the machine had no problems i would just have to replace the lamp but since they neither had a new nor a used one to try the machine i have no toher way of trusting them so i hope it was only the lamp, but if he lamp expactancy on these PJ are less then a few hundreds i wonder if it is really logilcal to change the lamp once or twice a year it is going to cost us a lot more in the long run :((

I wonder if its the same thing with much more expensive PJ's do they blow in less then 1000 hours.

5. Mant

Mant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a IBM iLV300 which was basicaly a rebadged InfocusX1. Had it since 12/2003 and just sold it 2 weeks ago with a lamp life of just over 1500hrs on the same bulb. So I would think its had some good innings.

Now using a Sanyo Z4 :)

6. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well i believe thats a prett good life on a lamp, i havent tried any of the neww pj's is there a huge difference between your new sony and your old PJ, i am thinking about buying a new one in the near future and maybe put this one in my room

cheers

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    for future reference, usually with bulbs like those in a PJ it helps if you dont turn it on and off and on and off too much, best to turn it on once a day and leave it running till you definitely do not need anymore that day.......it may clock up the hours quicker, but it does less damage to the bulb......
    turning it on and off can frag it quicker.........
    im hoping my bulb dont go too early on hours tho....had it a month now i think (well, almost) and im on 274 hours...lol.....i just love using this thing instead of a TV or computer monitor...

8. Mant

Mant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean me jazzman, its a Sanyo that i have. With my old one (IBM/X1) being DLP I thought it was the dogs dangelys, I couldn't see many rainbows in the time that I had used it, most dominant would be in Gladiator. During its last few runnings before I sold it I was trying VGA through it via PC and was enjoying it alot more while thinking 'why am I getting rid of this?'. I wanted to jump on board the HighDef wagon so Z4 was the one for me (not enough reviews/previews to make me swing towards the AE900). Luckily a friend was looking after a cheap projector and it was a chance for me to let my old one go to fund my Z4...

And what a great decision that was! At first I thought spending over £1K on a projector was overkill, but with the help of the money from my old proj that eased the pain a little. Out of the box, in a word, Amazing! I never through even through S-Video I could get a sharper picture, it was on par with the IBM/X1 through VGA, so god knows how much better it will be through a digital connection such as HDMI. The throw is so much better (as in reviews) the max I had with my old one was around 100" with the Z4 on max zoom I can get over 12" either side extra which I cant fully do as my speakers are in the way and it goes onto the sides of the walls, its that much extra! But I can now increase the size a little and it feels totaly different even with just the extra increase in screensize.

So overall upgrading to a new proj i'd give it a massive :smashin: if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and you use the projector alot for your movies then doing so will make a wallet very light but it will, in turn, make a massive smile on your face ,come movie time.

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    thats why i blew near on £3k on my projector, after looking at the cheaper alternatives i figured well, this way im getting a really cinematic experience, rather than a make-do experience......which matters for me as i have back/joint probs and sitting in a real cinema just isnt comfortable, so i dont enjoy the film as much, only times i will go cinema is for more epic films like Star Wars, LOTR etc...and those films only come around every so often......and i need a few stiff drinks before to loosen up my back to cope...lol
    Also i spent a fair bit on my DVD player, surround amp and speakers so i thought might as well have a screen of similar quality...heh

10. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks a lot folks ,

well i odered the bulb on my x1, and i will have to stick with it untill next year if tidoesnt blow, planning a wedding at the begening of summer time so i have to be alittle carefull on the spending but it is for sure that a new PJ will make it within the new house and if i have the money at the time beeing mhy not go crazy and buy a marantz but i think i will settle around a 2 to 3 K maxium unless ihave a friend that comes from japan to visit me i believe the lates is around 4.5 K GBP over there practically half the price in UK .

11. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that it is best not to move the pj around until the bulb has cooled right down.
    My X1`only has about 400 hours on the clock, and is fixed to the ceiling, so keeping my fingers crossed.
    I had a bit of luck last year. While I was seaching the net for a component video adaptor, I noticed a well known e retailer had spare bulbs for the X1 advertised for £48 + vat. Ordered one, and surprise surprise, a couple of days later it turned up. Next time I looked this retailer had sold out, wonder why? Wish I'd bought the entire stock! I bet someone had a b******ing.

12. dry cork

dry cork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I was a little annoyed with my lamp life but I got around 2400 hours out. I use it as a TV so I use it a lot! I am also sure that I didn't look after it as well as I could have done so am hoping to get more out of my next one. Sounds like you've been a bit unlucky. Saying that I got 2400 hours out it, it may have been 2600-2800+ as I hadn't checked the counter for a while, I'd had the projector just over a year. Mine only blew this week so how coincidental is that.

13. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well i cant say that i looked after it pretty well either but after all it was on the ceiling i think 2400 hours is pretty good especially compared to mine, :(

however i got a question are you getting a new PJ or changing the bulb, i am getting a new bulb at the moment but in the near future at most one year i am thinking of replacing it with a new PJ, probably with something that has an HDMI input since i am planning in the very near future to upgrade my dvd player from the marantz dv 6500 to the dv 7600.

well i am happy thath you got close to the 3000 hours i wish i could do half of that.

Is your pj always on stand by or doyou actually turn it fully of after it has cooled down, that i would like to know however.

cheers

14. dry cork

dry cork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading my manual I believed what it said (what a fool) so felt free to turn it off (hard, not remote) on more occasions than not!

Average operation was: Switch on at 5:30pm. Ordinarily leave it on all night until 11pm+. Occasionally, I'd drop it to standby or even switch off (when going out somewhere). Weekends, it would get switched on and off frequently but would be on for 10 hours a day!

The damn manual actually says it doesn't have to be cooled down but all the advice I've read since states the opposite!

The unit is 45 cm above floor. Moved only to clean the filters (which I did about twice in the one year it was going for). Surprisingly for a new house, the filters got very clogged up. I found that the whining sound disappeared when filters were cleaned. I was quite brutal with cleaning and although never touching the bulb or wheel a vacuum nozzle got scarily close to moving parts.

I had ordered a replacement bulb 3 weeks ago (just before it blew). I only paid £500 for the pj and the bulb replacements are much cheaper than £250 so it is worthwhile replacing the bulb for me. I imagine I'll eventually transfer the X1 to my bedroom use (14" portable TVs are no fun at all) and then get a better one for the lounge but until I see a good buy and earn some more cash the status quo wins.

I have bought a Vogel ceiling mount and as soon as the new bulb is fitted it will then be mounted away from all the dust.

Hope that boring tale helps - it was very cathartic writing it!