1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamp Hrs ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by swampy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. swampy

swampy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all great forum you all have here

any ways is it safe to run a projector after the lamp hrs
    is reach
    I just got a second hand 3m 8640 projector works great
    the lamp hours is 1909 hrs

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm led to beleive that the lamps get dimmer as they get older and you could run it beyond the reccommended hours but eventually.... the bulb explodes!

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projectors usually have a counter that counts down the number of hours. When you reach the limit it refuses to work until you change the bulb. Bulbs are not allowed to explode inside the projector.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ?? No my ae100 which defiantly counts the hours used. I'm only going by what was said at the AVSales shootout last May where I'm sure Andrew said that bulb times could be stretched a little but could make a mess if they blow.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's if they explode you notice. It's not inevitable, and somewhere on the setup menu you can reset the lamp hour meter. They do get dimmer, and they do make a helluva mess if they explode. It's curable but not worth the bother, do't stretch it too far! How far is too far? No idea, but I'm sure the manufacturers are cautious, wouldn't you be what with liability and a fat profit on the bulbs?

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's easy to run the AE-100 beyone it's default 2000/5000 bulb life limits, without even resetting the bulb timer.

Given as it's 5000, I don't think many would feel the need to however.

BTW, bulbs MAY explode. The manufacturers are just being cautious here - scaremongering to a degree.

IMO, the chances of a bulb exploding after it's useful life is only marginally higher that it exploding within it's design life.