1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamp for PT-AE500 failed after 301 hours

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by justinh, Nov 2, 2004.

1. justinh

justinh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use it on low power and not only did it fail after so few hours (it has gone very dim) but:

1. Panasonic are not expecting any stock for this until 1st week of December.

2. They regard it as a consumable so do not replace under warranty - not sure this is legal though.

Not very happy at the moment !!

:mad:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Frustrating. However, things like light bulbs (for any use) are rarely warranted for any great length of time.

A suggestion, though: it may well be that some irregularity in your mains supply (eg a spike) has caused the failure. It may be a good idea to invest in a mains "cleaner" of some sort to prolong (hopefully) the life of your next bulb.

Also, frequent on-off cycles can have a devastating effect on lamp life.

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eek! I just sent my AE500 back to Panasonic as the bulb went after just 500 hours (with a pop and a fizz) - the guy said it would be turned around in 3-5 days! I will expect a bill for a lamp then and a delivery around Chrimbo :rolleyes: :(

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    My bulb has also just gone after only 500 hours. To say i'm :censored: off is being far too polite :mad:

Adrenochrome.

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you notice any yellowing on any part of the image prior to the bulb going. My 500 showed signs of heat soak (yellow staining on areas of the picture) for about a month before the bulb went (i think it was the bulb), the picture got gradually darker and darker to the point where it was not watchable then one night it went off (no pop or fizzle just a blank screen) , when i turned the pj off and then back on it made a strange fizzle sound and then the power light started flashing amber, the lamp indicator light never came on so im still not sure that it was solely the bulb that was the problem. I have had 4 bulbs replaced over the past 2 years as i pushed the point that they had not lasted anywere near their claimed lifespan and had to explain to panasonic the rights i have as a consumer. 500hrs out of a 5000hr expected life is no where near and as far as consumer rights are concerned you have a very strong case for a free replacement, we are not talking about a 50p bulb from tescos these things cost hundreds of pounds, irrespective of a manufacturers warranty goods must last for a reasonable amount of time (subjective) after purchase and must live up to the claims made by the manufacturer(they might as well put 1000000hr life if they dont have to back it up). The trouble with consumer rights is that most people dont know them and even worse most retailers and manufacturers dont know them, these are not guidelines they are law , I would strongly suggest that anyone who has had a premature bulb failure to get a copy of the consumer rights act and have a good read, many a time i have had to correct a retailer or manufacturer as to their obligations and have never met with resistance after they have gone away and read up on what they should already know. Dont let big companies let you think that their company policy is law it is not.

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thats a very valid point.. I've read before that regardless of the stated warranty, the consumer has the right to expect the product (whatever it is) to to work for a sensible length of time.. I think the main problem is proofing your case as to that timespan. but I would say 500 hours from a 5000 hr bulb is a good case. I would talk to the CAB if you need advice..

Matt

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Well i've just got off the phone to Panasonic and the very nice lady i spoke to said they shall sort it under warranty :clap: Although being the pessimist i am i'm reserving judgement until it is done. :zonked:

Adrenochrome.

8. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: great 1 up for the consumer

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good for you, did you have to argue the point or did they accept liablility for the repair straight away. I know I come across as a right moaning old git in some of my posts but to be honest its the only way to get things done in this country, weve got to lose the british stiff upper lip when it comes to customer service , too many people just lie back and take what they are told to be gospel, if a retailer or manufacturer constantly gives poor service or goods they must be made to pay for their shabbiness. Sooner or later they will realise its easier to supply quality goods than have to constantly deal with moaning customers (thats if they have any left).

10. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No moaning at all that is why i am reserving judgement.

I Did point out that the bulb isn't covered by the warranty but she said as i only bought the pj in January it will be sorted under warranty at no cost to myself. :clap:

Adrenochrome.

11. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoohoo - good sign for me :) :clap: nice one

12. justinh

justinh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On the legal issue it is pretty clear under the Sales of Goods Act (taken from DTI web site):

"Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale)."

"Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

"Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety."

As the bulb costs £250+ and rated output is between 2000 and 5000 hours, I am 95% sure that if it ever got to a small claims court they would lose on a bulb that fails after 300- 500 hours, unless they were able to show you were not using it in a typical way.

However it is the supplier you have to drag through the court not Panasonic.

Bottom line is I'm not sure I can be a***d to go to a small claims court for this amount.
    I purchased from Komplett.co.uk.

13. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its not necessarily the retalier that you would make the claim against as after a certain period of time the liabilty to repair a product still within its 12 month warranty period lies with the manufacturer. As in the case of a projector the repairs and replacement of faulty parts are done by panasonic and not the retailer, as such they are liable to replace any parts not deemed to have lasted for a reasonable period of time. Im sure that any mention of legal action would have the desired effect as if one person is successful making such a claim it would define a case history for such claims and inevitably mean that they would be getting taken to court over every dispute they had with a customer. I would definately take it to the small claims court as it costs so little and if you win you'll get your expenses back as well , its worth a try before you shell out 250+ for a new bulb.

14. justinh

justinh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Agree with most of what you say however it is the reseller your contract is with under the Sale of goods Act.

From the DTI web site http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm :

"It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract."

Other issue with a small claims court is that is always requires time. Letters to the supplier - giving a reasonable notice period for them to take action (usually minimum of 2 weeks) + booking the court etc

I just want a working projector - sob, sob

15. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know how you feel mate, at least were going in the right direction with andrenochrome getting his bulb replaced.

16. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    :thumbsdow No show from Anyone to pick up the pj as promised today :mad:

I Told you i was reserving judgement :lesson:

Adrenochrome.

17. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Blur sang...

"And so the story begins...."

:devil:

Deja Vu unfortunatley

:(

18. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Well i have just been on the phone to Panasonic and they say the pj shall be collected on Monday now.

While i was on the phone i took the opportunity to ask again if the bulb would definately be replaced free of charge?

I was told that the engineers would look at the how the pj had been used and also how many hours were on the bulb and if they thought it had lasted an unsatisfactory time it would be replaced.

Well as mine has lasted just over 10% of their 5000hr estimate i am hopeful that i t shall indeed be replaced free of charge. :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

p.s. No loan units available though :(

19. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No show again today :(

I have been assured though that my bulb will be replaced :clap:

Adrenochrome.

20. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Pj finally picked up today :thumbsup:

Although i was told repairs are taking in excess of 4 weeks :eek: :thumbsdow :mad:

I hope that timescale is wrong :rolleyes:

Adrenochrome.

21. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had mine returned after just 10 days - bulb and a few power bits and pieces replaced, no charge (yey) - have yet to plug it in but I am stunned they are saying 4 weeks after returning mine in less than two... :confused:

22. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Have to call them today if they still say 4 weeks i shall be mentioning this to them.

Adrenochrome.

23. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Apparently my pj is on the bench being looked at right now :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

24. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Still no word ....sigh

25. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Just had an unexpected chap at the door it was only dhl with my projector :thumbsup: :clap: :smashin:

Panasonic have changed the bulb at a cost of £271.62 +vat

They have also changed the pc board w/component £168.74 +vat

Labour £75.00 +vat

Total £605.55 inc

All done f.o.c. :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup: So well done to panasonic.

Adrenochrome.

p.s. Just in time for the champions league tonight woohoo :clap:

26. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear it mate - personally I have nothing but good things to say about Panasonic in dealing with my problem - top notch service :thumbsup:

27. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: i've had nothing but incompetance with Panasonic Customer Services. Bunch of morons. :suicide:

28. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    £600.00 odd! It's almost like Christmas has come early ;)

I'm pleased you're sorted mate :smashin:

At least you'll be able to enter the pj photo comp now? :D

29. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    It's still :censored: flickering though :mad:

30. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So win/is mine when it came back. Also came with dust blobs and red tinge to right hand part of screen.

When i phoned last Friday my file report had an engineer comment that another repair option was possible so i said fine, they said we will pick it up monday, i said ok - use my work address you have on file, he said OK. Courier turned up at my home address on monday. :suicide:

Phoned monday and they said he would be there that afternoon. No one turned up, 4pm today i called again and they did not have my work address on file :rolleyes: "errm - the place you picked it up from last time round??? the address that your guy repeated to me on the phone yesterday?, no we dont have it, we will pick it up before 12 tomorrow "

I just hope they dont lose the projector this time.

Are they trained to be incompetant or are they born that way???