1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laminated flooring cable runs.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Baggy69, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, i'm very close to fitting out my living room with laminated flooring but i am worried about my cables being crushed as the thickest flooring underlay seems to be 3 mm. I will be fitting new skirting board but the run is not complete to all speakers. Has any one else had this problem, if yes how did you get around it or has any one some good ideas on it ?
    Thanks Ian.

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    When you lay laminate you normally leave an expansion gap between the edge of the laminate and the skirting. You then lay beading over the gap to cover it. In my lounge the gap is between 1/2-3/4". I have laid all my front and rear speaker cable in the gap and it nicely hidden with the beading. BTW my gap is probably quite a bit larger than the recommended size.
    Hope this is of some use.

3. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, i forgot about that gap, so what i could do with is some wide skirting board for a bigger gap.

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You cover the gap between the skirting and the edge of the laminate with beading. It would be extra wide beading that you want to use if you require a large gap. Check that this is going to be aesthetical pleasing first though!

5. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I dont want to use the beading as i will be putting down new skirting board on top of the laminated flooring. I have just thought of a new problem though, half way around i have a fire place with marbel base. With the laminated flooring butting up against this, what do you use to cover the edge?

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I have a 1/4 tonne fish tank and stand in my room. My solution was to fill the expansion gap with coloured silicon. There was no way to fix the beading to the tank stand. Round the walls I fixed the new skirting on top of the old. By using larger skirting a cable channel was left between wall and skirting.:)

7. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally wouldn't recommend laying cables in the expansion gap........the purpose of the gap is to allow the floor to expand and retract. If your floor expands too much (I have seen this happen) you will have a problem in one of two areas.

If the floor cannot expand due to the gap filled with cables, your floor will either lift and bow, this usually happens in the middle of the room or the flooring will crush the cable, potentially damaging what you have laid and possibly damaging it bad enough that you will have to start again.

My suggestions would be:

If you have a concrete floor, chase out a channel to run all of your cables, you can then lay in your cables, lay over the underlay and put down your floor.

You could also try removing the bottom 2 inches of plaster around your walls, lay in your cables and cover with your new skirting board.

I have used both solutions mentioned above and have never had any problems, however, I do know people who have experienced the problems, I have mentioned at the top of the page.

Just my 2penneth :lesson:

Stace :D

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

9. mrg

mrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    when i laid my laminate floor i used the green fibre board underlay that is a decent thickness and easy to lay

10. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the suggestions, the one that looks best for me is chopping the 2" of plaster away. Thanks Stace and thanks all for the ideas.

11. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I used this stuff as well and cut paths in it to run cables. It is about 6mm thick so should work for most cables. This is the stuff:

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=60972&paintCatId=&CATID=82783

You can get it from most big DIY places.

I did not butt my floor to the marble base around my fire, I left an expansion gap there too. I put some quadrant on the laminate under the lip of the marble and varnished it the same colour as the floor. I know thats not very clear, but I can't think of a better way to describe it. There is a picture of quadrant bead here:

http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/moulding.html

You can get it from DIY shops as well.

If you want, I can take a picture of it and email it to you.

12. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thats what i was going to use, quadrant bead. How did you stick it to the marble? no nails glue?

13. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, and I also put some on the joints between the bits of quadrant.

14. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I also hid the cables behind the skirting and used quadrant around the fireplace, but there is no need to glue it to the marble just mitre the three bits of quadrant, join them together and slide it in place. Wish I had kept the carpet though, far too many reflections with laminate.

Porker.

15. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I stuck the quadrant down because I konw my 4 year old would take it out to play with otherwise.

I agree about the reflections. I did put a rug in the middle of the laminate but it wouldn't stay still and I preferred the look of the laminate so I got rid of the rug.

16. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well its too late now, 3/4 of my skirking has been ripped up so theres no looking back now hehe. Out of interest, where did you buy you flooring from? The quotes ive had are from 'floors2go'.

17. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  18. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the process of doing this ourselves.

Replacing carpet with laminate, and currently have two runs of QED Profile Silver 12 running under carpet.

Unfortunately, with carpet replacement comes a lounge re-arrangement to, so rear speakers are moving, which means this cable isn't long enough anymore.

So now need laminate floor friendly replacement cable - Richer Sounds have some Gale stuff (from £4.99 down to .99p) which looks suitable to run under laminate.

Grrrr

Gary

19. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you going to rip the skirting board too? If so run it around under the new skirting board. I was lucky when i did mine as i have a modern house and the plaster board was easy to remove and run cables under it. The biggest problem i had was around my marble fireplace. In the end i decided to use an angle grinder and take an inch away from the concrete which supported it, this was enough to hide cable under and to run the laminate under it to so no need for the beading, but the down side being im still dusting down the house now hehe.

20. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, skirting is staying, so cable will be directly under - shortest run/cheaper cable cost :)

The QED stuff was £15/mtr but can't afford to buy that same stuff again now :( so cheaper cable may be needed (and plugs)

Gary

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Actually laminate flooring with it's layered reinforced construction (quality stuff) and interlocking mechanism does not expand and contract as much as normal solid hardwood flooring. I have actually seen a sandwich construction floor (Kahrs I think) butted right against a wall with no skirting - probably not recommended but it's been there for a about 3 years without any problems - looks very good though

If you lay your cabling into the gap to the wall I wouldnt expect any problems unless you are using the mother of all cables and it's a very tight squeeze.

22. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently installed new 6" tourus profile (I think!) skirting and it has two different skirting profiles on each side of the board itself.

Not very exciting I know, but it does mean that it gives you enuff space to run cables around the edge of the room before fixing skirting to the walls with no nails!!