Laminate Floor - Hiding Cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Nick_Leeds, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Nick_Leeds

Nick_Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any good ideas for hiding the speaker cables for my Home Cinema system? I've got laminate floor down in the lounge so it's not so easy (unfortunately it was already down when I installed the speakers etc.)

I've googled this many times and not found anything suitable.

Ideally I'd like something wood-coloured, if not white would do.

The more discreet (and easy to fit) the better.

Nick

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    If its just speaker cables, you could use the square conduit that has a sticky back and run it along the top of the skirting board. I use this in the corner of the walls to run my surround cables up the walls. It can easily be painted over with the same colour as the wall. Most DIY stores sell it.

3. 27neth

27neth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Is the laminate fitted under the skirting boards? If it isnt and it has quadrant around take the quadrant off and fit the cables around the expansion gap. Then refit the quadrant.

John.

4. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ^^ as mentiond above i have beading running around my room and its easy to cum up its eitehr got lil nails in or tiger sealed down, just pull it up, if laminate laid properly should have a gap to hide it down if not just put the beading back around with the cables underneath matey!

5. aliasojo

aliasojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    http://www.d-line.co.uk/index.php?menuKey=1&pageKey=1

You can get quadrant trunking in oak effect (22mm or 30mm) which has a peel off backing and can be stuck rather than having to screw or nail it. So you could take off your existing quadrant beading and replace or just use from scratch.

The longest length it comes in is 3 mtrs but not all stockists carry this length so you might either have to search a bit or get 2 mtr lengths and use joining couplers.

The product key button at the bottom of the page tells you what you can get. The oak colour looks a bit weird in the picture and it IS plastic so it's never going to match wood exactly but it does have wood markings which dont show up in the pic.

Perfect for running cables around the floor if your skirting just isn't wide enough at the top to run trunking around the top of it.

6. whoever

whoever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the gap there for a reason? The people that had my house before me put pretty cheap rubish speaker wire down there which is probably OK. But when your talking about more expensive decent quality cable, then surely its going to be too thick to fit?

7. 27neth

27neth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    The expansion gap should be 10mm wide and the depth would be around 15mm (thickness of laminate+underlay)

John.

8. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep there is an expansion gap but my laminate has been filled with a cork/rubber material. So i dont have a open gap.

y suggestion would be to put a small conduit above the skirting board, tats so long as your wood work is painted white and then it shouldnt be noticable!

9. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I recently put down laminate flooring in my front room and wanted to hide the cables.

I used this stuff in the end:-
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=N78FK&source=15&SD=Y

Comes in Oak or White but it can also be painted to suit. Easy to install, it has the peel off backing so it can be stuck rather than screwed on. Also good if you have to add extra wires at anytime as it just flips open. Comes in 3 meter lengths.