Lake Mungo: Limited Edition Blu-ray (Second Sight)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Second Sight - Zavvi

Standard Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Second Sight - Zavvi

Release date: 07/06/2021 (Standard Edition: 28/03/2022)

LM_LE.png

LM_LE (contents).png

Special Features:
  • Archive audio commentary by Producer David Rapsey and DoP John Brawley
  • New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Emma Westwood
  • Captured Spirits: an interview with DoP John Brawley
  • Ghost in the Machine: an interview with Producer David Rapsey
  • A Cop and a Friend: an interview with Actors Carole Patullo & James Lawson
  • Kindred Spirits: Filmmakers Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead on Lake Mungo
  • Hosting Spirits: Filmmaker Rob Savage on Lake Mungo
  • Simulacra and Spirits: a video essay by film academic Josh Nelson
  • Autopsy of a Family Home: a video essay by filmmaker Joseph Wallace
  • Deleted Scenes
  • English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired
Limited Edition Contents:
  • Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thomas Walker
  • 80 page soft cover book with new essays by Sarah Appleton, Simon Fitzjohn, Rich Johnson, Mary Beth McAndrews and Shellie McMurdo; an interview with actor James Lawson by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas; plus rare behind-the-scenes photos courtesy pf John Brawley
  • 3 art cards with new illustrations by Thomas Walker

Standard Edition:
LM (standard).png

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Love this film, had it on iTunes for years now but if the extras look good on this will double dip.

A definite buy never got around to getting the German Blu-ray.

Lake Mungo (Germany).png

It's the middle part of a trilogy isn't it?
Hoping they also release Lake Mary and Lake Midge

OP updated with the artwork/confirmed details.
Pre-order now up at Second Sight.

OP updated with Amazon/HMV links.

going to be a blind buy for me.

It's the middle part of a trilogy isn't it?
Hoping they also release Lake Mary and Lake Midge
showing your age there bud. i deny all knowledge of remembering that cartoon too, though.

Week delay on this, now out on the 7th June.

Ta for that went with it £15.99. I see Base.com take PayPal now but not with pre-orders.

That would be a nice deal.

1111.png

Oh well, been happy to pay them £20 :D

That's them got another credit card number stored somewhere :p

I remember watching a movie set in Australia I think a while back now and it was quite scary, not sure if it was this movie though, pretty sure it was centred around a lake and with shaky camera footage like this.
The scene I remember was near the end at
some rocky desert area at night

Is this maybe the movie I watched?

edit/ After some searching I believe it is the movie I watched and it was great, extremely scary from what I remember.

Last edited:
I remember watching a movie set in Australia I think a while back now and it was quite scary, not sure if it was this movie though, pretty sure it was centred around a lake and with shaky camera footage like this.
The scene I remember was near the end at
some rocky desert area at night

Is this maybe the movie I watched?

edit/ After some searching I believe it is the movie I watched and it was great, extremely scary from what I remember.
Aye, it is Lake Mungo. It’s so clever from a found footage perspective, constantly shifting from a bog standard ghost story to something less supernatural but no less creepy and then the whammy of the titular lake and the phone camera footage which is up there as some the eeriest things committed to film for me. Yet it remains as convincing as a documentary as I’ve seen from the genre. Hugely effective stuff.

A great film and even though I’ve had this for years on iTunes, I’ll be grabbing this set for sure.

I hope there's reversible artwork like they did with Flight of The Navigator -they didn't do it with In Bruges. Not keen on that a bit of revisionism I don't like.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Finally got round to watching this last night before pre ordering the movie from SS. The package looks great but sadly I thought the movie was a bit poop. I appreciate what they tried to do, but I do struggle with found footage films, nothings ever beaten REC and I doubt anything will in this genre. I loved the documentary aspect, but just found it really slow, predictable and non rewarding as a viewer. I know many say the heart and soul in this movie is the genuine performance from the cast, but found them to be below par too, cancelled my pre order and shifted it over to The Babadook, which I watched earlier (also coming from SS) and thought it was superior in everyway (albiet totally different type of film.)

Was tempted to order regardless as these SS Limited Editions are stunning, and even though I wasn't a fan of the film, I love the set as a whole, the artwork is brill, but ultimately decided to leave it.

I watched it last night and I have mixed feelings.

It is exceptionally well made. Everything is spot on. The acting is excellent.

At times I was convinced I was watching one of those murder investigation documentaries my wife always watches.

But, the supernatural elements were a bit shoehorned in. So much so I didn't really care for any of those scenes. They kinda cheapened the whole experience for me. I'm a bit shocked at the reputation it apparently has for being so scary (I read a couple of reviews after I watched it).

A family drama about dealing with the loss of a loved one - nailed it!

A spooky supernatural chiller - Meh...

Great release though. Another stellar effort from SS.

I watched it last night and I have mixed feelings.

It is exceptionally well made. Everything is spot on. The acting is excellent.

At times I was convinced I was watching one of those murder investigation documentaries my wife always watches.

But, the supernatural elements were a bit shoehorned in. So much so I didn't really care for any of those scenes. They kinda cheapened the whole experience for me. I'm a bit shocked at the reputation it apparently has for being so scary (I read a couple of reviews after I watched it).

A family drama about dealing with the loss of a loved one - nailed it!

A spooky supernatural chiller - Meh...

Great release though. Another stellar effort from SS.

100% and same issues from me with this title, if they kept it simple it was decent, different, scary? Nowhere near, I don't understand where reviewers are getting that, it's barely even a horror, more of a thriller mockumentary, a good one, but they deffo lowered the whole experience with certain elements. One jump scare that was there for the sake of it.

To be fair though SS are on fire, and their LE's are nice, minimal, simple, but really great, as said above, I was tempted to buy just for the package, but talked myself out of it.

Interesting seeing the responses. I love this film, but probably for the reasons others don't seem to......

I agree entirely that the supernatural elements feel a little odd but I think that's because the film is constantly toying with audience expectations - it starts off as a supposed documentary on a haunting, but very quickly it shows that this isn't the case: as the more real world issues surrounding the family come into play, the film about faces and it becomes a precursor to the modern day true crime docs that are clogging up Netflix at the moment. I loved this twist because it subverted my expectations that found footage = horror and it set me up for a third act.......

........that then about faced again and started to drag it back towards something altogether less real world. It constantly wrong footed me which I really liked, but also that the scares and their nature also changed: the first act its all about the usual ghost type hauntings - locked-off night vision cameras just catching a glimpse of something at the edges of the frame to get the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end (not the usual jump scare variety, more an eerie shock type); but the third act becomes something else entirely and the whole thing, including the second act real world issues, seems to build to that camera phone footage found out at the wilderness park........

That scene of the camera footage got me in the way little else has - the only thing that came close was Joaquin Phoenix watching the birthday party home video footage in Signs: both a horrible clash of the mundanity of the real world and something completely unknown and horrible, something shown just enough, but made all the more effective by the slow build up leading up to it.........man, it got me good! But also....I don't really know why. There's no real explanation for what is being shown, there's rafts of explanations about what it could be but the film leaves them all deliberately hanging. And this either works for the viewer or it leaves them with more questions and a sense of unfulfilment that therefore doesn’t.

But absolutely, its not a straight horror film at all and listening to this weeks Arrow Video podcast (where this was being discussed for some strange reason!), there's mention of the director having never made another film because he was so disappointed in the process of releasing and marketing the film. Maybe expectations were all wrong on this one........but it does seem to be dependent on how you react to that final act scare. Risky I know, but when it works like it did for me, I'm still left creeped out by this just at the memory of it......which is ironic considering I've just said what I like about is that its NOT just a horror film......and yet that's the thing that sticks in the mind.......

I haven't picked up this new set having had it on iTunes for several years but I think I will seeing how positive reactions have been to it.

Last edited:
Got mine:

Mungo.PNG

I'll use that German artwork since they've not.

I think I've seen this but have no memory of ever playing the German Bly-ray which I bought 6½ years ago.

I've been avoiding the reviews so as not to spoil it just in case and intend to watch it this weekend

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom