Lagging HD Video

Whytock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just wondering if anyone can give advice on my problem?

Im trying to play HD videos through my computer on a 32" LCD T.V. but it keeps lagging, sometimes it plays ok for a few minutes then it just freezes and stutters.

These are my computers specs;
Operating System Windows Vista Home Basic (build 6000)

Processor a
1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

2GB Memory

DisplayATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series [Display adapter]
ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
SAMSUNG [Monitor] (7.2"vis, November 2006)
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (21.6"vis, s/n H9XQ306570, March 2008)

Im using a DVI to HDMI cable.

Can anybody offer any advice on how to improve the quality?
Ive tried using Windows Media Player, VLC Player and quick time player.
Half thought I needed a new graphics card??

Cheers

Processor a 1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron

I think you should consider a new processor. Semprons aren't really up to the job for a lot of HD content.

Try the AMD 4850e or 5050e if your mobo supports them.

Ah ok! Cheers!

Is there anything I can do with my computer, close certain programs, play the video in a particular player or download any particular updates/codecs/plugins?

Is there anything I can do with my computer, close certain programs, play the video in a particular player or download any particular updates/codecs/plugins?
Not really. Your hardware is just not up to HD material levels.

Took this from Wikipedia
The R5xx can also assist in Microsoft WMV9/VC-1 and MPEG H.264/AVC decoding, by a combination of the 3D/pipeline's shader-units and the motion-video engine. Benchmarks show only a modest decrease in CPU-utilization for VC-1 and H.264 playback.

This means that decoding HD content is down to your processor but that is not powerful enough.

You may find that getting a new dedicated graphics card may be enough (£30 on an ATI 4350 will do, £45 on an ATI 4550 will do a lot better) but still not sure your CPU has enough grunt to cope

I see!
Guess its the price you pay for a decent HD setup!

So I should treat myself to a new processor, 4850e or 5050e if my motherboard supports them (how do I find this out, sorry for being a pain. I used to know all this stuff but after a few years off the up keep i've lost touch with it all)

And maybe a new graphics card, ATI 4350 or ATI 4550

Guess its the price you pay for a decent HD setup!
Cost is probably less then you think...
So I should treat myself to a new processor, 4850e or 5050e if my motherboard supports them
More than likely it wont. Even if you have a socket AM2 Sepmron board I have a feeling it wont support the newer processors. What motherbaord do you have?

And maybe a new graphics card, ATI 4350 or ATI 4550
Would check the situation as regards mobo first. If you need a new mobo anyway you can get a cheap(ish) one that will support HD video without the need for a graphics card

This is my mobo

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2VTVM-VM890 Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0903 05/09/2007

When you say a new mobo will support hd content is that with an onbaord graphics card?

Assuming it is this board
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

the specs say it supports a 4850e on your BIOS version but does not mention the 5050e. Worth looking but remember changing the processor will still require a new graphics card.

If you want a cheap upgrade then you may find that the 780G mobos are a better option. This way you can get HD video via HDMI using the onboard graphics and the motherboards are not much more than a dedicated graphics card but will give you system a much longer life and more room to upgrade

Thats great cheers!
One day I will have enough money not to go for the cheaper option.

I will have a look around for that mobo!

Thank you very much for your advice!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom