1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lag on Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Shmoo, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Shmoo

Shmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got quite a fast connection - 1mb - but whenever I play quick match on line I get lag. I don't get the same lag when I'm the host on create match. Is this normal?

And does it mean that whenever a create a match the other guy has lag?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I think that someone else hosts, hence the lag. Like wise if you host the other player may experience lag.

Pete.

3. Shmoo

Shmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will they always experience lag if I have a decent connection?

Seems a little unfair, if this is true.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    More or less. This is a downside to x-box live. However, I have played against people as a host and they have advised me of zero lag. Just luck I suppose....

Pete.

5. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,417
    There will be other factors too, such as people downloading whilst playing (tis true, I've spoken with a guy I was playing who was doing this very thing during the game :rolleyes: :D) )
    Also, if you are on wireless then you may get or cause lag. A hard wired connection, though by no means perfect, will be more stable imho. Same for people who use Internet Sharing through Windows.
    And finaly, as mentioned above, luck :)

6. Shmoo

Shmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean internet sharing through windows will be more likely to cause lag?

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    If any other device is sharing your internet connection then this causes lag as the bandwidth is being shared. I was playing a game of PES a while back when I was hosting. The client reported no lag until the last couple of minutes when he said that the game became laggy all of a sudden. Sure enough, the missus had just fired up her laptop on her wireless connection and this was causing the lag.

If you are both on good internet connections and noone is using them at the sme time then you shouldn't experience any noticable lag. I would like games developers to start building in lag filters so that if someone's connection becomes laggy all of a sudden then they are kicked and the none laggy person get's a win. 99% of the time the lag is caused by a persons personal connection, not the ISP itself. Generally they are cheating by putting their routers on standby (i'm not even sure how they do this but am assured that it's something cheaters do to increase lag and make games unplayable) or by someone else using their connection in error. Either way they are factors that can be govened by the player. The only times that people have suffered from lag with me is when either the missus has had her laptop on or i've had my PC on.

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It is unfair, the host never gets lag and the client does.

Konami really screwed up with their live code for PES, just about every other sports game I have played on live can be affected by lag but both players are affected equally. On PES only one player gets affected.

Even when players say there is no lag, it isn't actually the case. The game seems to be playing smoothly but there are problems, such as the power bar not coming up as soon as a button is pressed.

I have spoken to Konami UK at length about the problems with this game. It should have been the best live game yet, but is a complete shambles. Konami issued a patch that was supposed to address the lag problem, but it made no difference at all. After this patch I was told that there won't be a further one as the dev team was to concentrate on PES 5 and that anybody taken to fix number 4 properly would detract from 5.

Seems to me like Konami are just another company concentrating on their yearly update to squeeze us for as much money as possible.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If they did that on any other 1v1 sports game that I've played, they would get the lag too, so would gain no advantage. Konami just cocked up with this one.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yep they cocked the code up big time but you can still play nice lag free games with people on your friends list who don't cheat. I guess that's the best we'll get until PES5.

The unfortunate thing is that this is by far and away the best sports game available IMO and the poor online code is worth baring to sample the brilliance of this game.

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It is a good game but I stopped playing it a lot when I realised that the matches weren't fair and the rankings were meaningless. Now I just play the matches for a league that I am in.

I really hope they sort the online element out for PES 5 as well as addressing the many annoying niggles with the game itself as it could be superb.