• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lag in games or Dualshock fault?

splinters69

Distinguished Member
I have noticed a delay in response from my Dualshock when playing PS3 games; noticably First Person Shooters. It never happens straight away but usually after some frantic action in Bioshock, Killzone 2 etc. There seems to be a noticable delay between moving the sticks and response. It also seems to then effect operation of the console i.e navigating the XMB. It just seems to lose speed and fluidity, hard to explain really but really annoying.
I have been killed in quite a few games as a result of this.

Is it a known problem, bug in the games or interference? I bought a second Dualshock and noticed a similar response but I haven't used it that much.

Anyone had similar problems or any ideas? This happens even if the pad is fully charged.

Cheers

EwanSuttie

Standard Member
I have noticed a delay in response from my Dualshock when playing PS3 games; noticably First Person Shooters. It never happens straight away but usually after some frantic action in Bioshock, Killzone 2 etc. There seems to be a noticable delay between moving the sticks and response. It also seems to then effect operation of the console i.e navigating the XMB. It just seems to lose speed and fluidity, hard to explain really but really annoying.

Is it a known problem, bug in the games or interference? I bought a second Dualshock and noticed a similar response but I haven't used it that much.

Anyone had similar problems or any ideas? This happens even if the pad is fully charged.

Cheers

What do you have your PS3 hooked up to? It could be a small delay in the video feed.

splinters69

Distinguished Member
HDMI to a 42" LG LCD. Sort of comes and goes. Just played inFamous for a few hours and after half an hour it started being a pain but then stopped after 30 mins or so.
PS3 has given no trouble but I have changed to a 320GB HD (the recommended one). I have a few wireless devices in the room and a Wii next to it. Also have the bluetooth keypad and bluray remote.
It seems like it could be interference of some sort...:(

Workshed

Prominent Member

Cheers

I have the same problem! It doesn't happen very often and I even bought a new Dual Shock hoping that would be the solution but it has since happened with the new one. If you find a reason for this behaviour or a solution it's be good to know!

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Well, I played for a few hours with a new pad last night and it happened again so I doubt it is the pad at fault.
Will let you know if I unearth anything...:D

elim

Established Member
yes i get this with my controller on cod waw

like when turning it turns frantically and not right, i have to turn off the controller and turn it back on to fix this.. weird.

Decadence1

Prominent Member
Well this happens to me when I have like 3 bluetooth enabled things turned on like my controller, keypad and headset. Can be quite annoying on Killzone but then I just turn off the controller then back on and it fixes it self. :)

feaviolp

Prominent Member
I've not seen this problem with me stabdrad PS3 controllers but I've seen my guitar hero controllers lose connection occasionally. You can tell because the lights on the dongle start to flash (plus of course missing notes ;)).

I know it's different because GH uses a dongle rather than the internal PS3 bluetooth, but the reason I mention it is I've found that having mobile phones close by seems to make it much worse. So when playing GH I make sure I take my phone out of my pocket and put it somewhere away from me and the PS3. Seems to make it much better. That said I've not had any such problems playing games with the Sixaxis with a phone nearby. Still - may be worth a try?

Zeromajor

Prominent Member
The 'lag' issue seems to affect a small amount of people - i've never seen it on anything before Killzone 2 before it was patched, and that was nothing to do with hardware.

It could be a problem with your t.v setup or indeed a problem with the dualshock/sixaxis - there is no definate answer.

Workshed

Prominent Member
Personally I've only experienced it with Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 but I suspect that is coincidence. I don't believe it is related to the controller itself as I have bought a brand spanking new one and it has shown the same issue.

Jay

Banned
It's not your controller.

What you are witnessing is input lag from your tv. The time it takes for you to press a button and the time it takes for your tv to display the actions on screen.

Input lag is caused by processing that your tv does.

Most panels nowadays have game modes which disables any additional processing to help reduce input lag.

Bare in mind that some people are more sensitive to others when it comes to input lag, and some don't have input lag on their set, crts have 0 input lag, and plasmas have next to no input lag.

A good test for input lag is guitar hero type games.

Last edited:

Workshed

Prominent Member
It's not your controller.

What you are witnessing is input lag from your tv. The time it takes for you to press a button and the time it takes for your tv to display the actions on screen.

Input lag is caused by processing that your tv does.

Most panels nowadays have game modes which disables any additional processing to help reduce input lag.

Bare in mind that some people are more sensitive to others when it comes to input lag, and some don't have input lag on their set, crts have 0 input lag, and plasmas have next to no input lag.

A good test for input lag is guitar hero type games.

No, it's not. (at least not in my case)

This happens maybe once a fortnight for me - if it were TV lag it would be apparent all the time, not intermittently. It almost feels like a button is stuck down, for instance you might press left on the analogue stick to turn you character, release it and it will keep going for a while. Go to the XMB and try to send a message and it takes a good 5 seconds for each button press (I don't care how much processing you think a TV does but i can tell you it doesn't do 5 seconds worth ;) )

Jay

Banned
No, it's not. (at least not in my case)

This happens maybe once a fortnight for me - if it were TV lag it would be apparent all the time, not intermittently. It almost feels like a button is stuck down, for instance you might press left on the analogue stick to turn you character, release it and it will keep going for a while. Go to the XMB and try to send a message and it takes a good 5 seconds for each button press (I don't care how much processing you think a TV does but i can tell you it doesn't do 5 seconds worth ;) )

What you've just described isn't input lag, I get that too, on killzone 2 it used to be awful if I brought the xmb up in game to send a message everythign would just lag and slow down.

Jay

Banned
(I don't care how much processing you think a TV does but i can tell you it doesn't do 5 seconds worth ;) )

I actually know what I'm talking about, and I've never said input lag was 5 seconds, (not even the worst cases are 5 seconds) infact input lag is measured in miliseconds, which is why if you let two people play the same game on the same set that suffers from input lag, one of the people might be more sensitve to the input lag than the other.

Jay

Banned
Not convinced - the op states it doesn't happen straight away. I don't think it's possibly for a TV to decide to get laggy after a while of PS3 playing ;)

Of course it doesn't, input lag is either there or it isn't and if it is it isn't variable.

It seems odd then, maybe he just means slowdown in killzone 2, as there are framerate drops and eveything does tend to get choppy.

But then he mentions that he sometimes gets this in the xmb. :confused:

If it is input lag it won't be sometimes, the delay will be there all the time.

But a good test for input lag would be a guitar hero game if the op has one.

Jay

Banned
If the op has a crt lying about I would plug the ps3 in that and see if the same problems occur, if they don't then it's input lag.

If they do then it's the ps3.

Jay

Banned
Yeah thats it :)

Which again is nothing to do with input lag as we've agreed.

Input lag doesn't make things on screen appear choppy or cause slowdown, if a game has frame rate drops or slowdown that is the game, not input lag.

Input lag is merely the time it take for you to press a button and the actions of your button press to be displayed on the screen.

Which is what the following quote makes me think it's input lag,

There seems to be a noticable delay between moving the sticks and response.

and the problem he mentions in the xmb is probably what we and everyone experiences in certain games where bringing up the xmb in certain games can lag and slow down when navigating messages etc. That xmb issue is the ps3.

Workshed

Prominent Member
I actually know what I'm talking about, and I've never said input lag was 5 seconds, (not even the worst cases are 5 seconds) infact input lag is measured in miliseconds, which is why if you let two people play the same game on the same set that suffers from input lag, one of the people might be more sensitve to the input lag than the other.

I never said you did, i was saying it can't be input lag because it is sometimes in the order of 5 seconds.

Workshed

Prominent Member
Which again is nothing to do with input lag as we've agreed.

Input lag doesn't make things on screen appear choppy or cause slowdown, if a game has frame rate drops or slowdown that is the game, not input lag.

I think you might be getting a little confused :(
When it happens for me nothing on screen gets choppy or slowed down but it takes several seconds for Playstation to respond to my actions be this on Killzone or the in-game XMB. It's not the TV and it's not the controller.

Jay

Banned
I think you might be getting a little confused :(
When it happens for me nothing on screen gets choppy or slowed down but it takes several seconds for Playstation to respond to my actions be this on Killzone or the in-game XMB. It's not the TV and it's not the controller.

The xmb issue is the ps3 not input lag, everything just slows down and goes funny, either the xmb moves slowly or as you say you press a button and it takes a while to navigate. e.g you press left and it will take a noticeably long time for the xmb to move left.

That happens occasionally and on certain games, killzone always done that for me when acessing the xmb to check a message while playing online, resident evil 5 would do it too when sending a game invite out.

That is the ps3, not input lag.

Input lag is not variable, and is the same across all sources.

If your tv has 23milliseconds of input lag for example it will take 23 milliseconds for the tv to display the actions of your button presses regardless of what console, what game etc.

Although the 23milliseconds of lag can be more noticeable in some games more than others.

Games where timing is everything such as a guitar hero type game will make it more noticeable than other games for example.

Last edited:

feaviolp

Prominent Member
Hey guys - sorry to but-in but I just wanted to point out that I think you're both in violent agreement here. You seem to be arguing and yet saying the same thing :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ahh - seems Workshed beat me to it :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom