lag from sub when playing music

baritone

Hello,
I'm just trying a bd music disc played through an oppo 83, and the sub is slightly lagging, is there a cure for this lag

Regards..........Alan

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Its more than likely a setup issue. When a sub sounds slow its usually because its either slightly out of sync with the speakers, or room modes needs dealing with. If its a ported sub, then the issues might be slightly more noticable and again getting it setup right is the answer.

Crustyloafer

It's a Paradigm Sub1 if that helps anyone provide some useful responses. As for the rest of the kit Alan has I can't quite remember, although I'm sure there is an ADA processor in there somewhere.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Then the first port of call should be the PBK if you havent already done that. If you have invested in this kind of sub, dont do yourself an injustice and not set it up properly. There is no way on earth this sub should sound slow. Not only is it sealed, but its using less than enormous drivers that lend themselves to being fast anyway. This issue can only be with the setup.

Has the PBK been run on this sub? I get the distinct impression it hasnt, and if it has then its likely user error or your darn unlucky with the positioning and another spot might be better.

baritone

Hello,

Thanks Moonfly and Chris for replying.
I think you are correct Moonfly; I had not noticed this lag before and the sub1 has been peforming superbly, but quite recently I have made a few changes to my room ie new rug and soft wall features which most likely has altered the room characteristics.I will re-run the PBK set up. It's only playing the music disc that has brought it to light.Thanks for your advice.

regards............Alan

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
You have to realise that music has rhythmic beats that are precisely timed, so this is where you will notice these kinds of issues. Explosions by their very nature are are pretty erratic, so this isnt as much of an issue for much of movie content. Even when music is played in films, its a backing track that seldom plays for more than a short period. When you listen to music as a proper music listener, its with focus over longer periods, so you this is where you will notice problems of this type the most.

Good room acoustics will help, but their effects are more prevalent higher up the frequency range. With subwoofers, its all about putting them in the best spot in your room (I typically favour the front with the main speakers over the rear position) and getting it setup right.

Make sue you run the PBK properly, with eq systems like this, correct mic placement can make all the difference. Be sure to let us know how you get on :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

baritone

Hello Moonfly,

I understand what you are saying, I have had bought this blu-ray classical music disc out of curiosity to see how it sounded,so I was listening very intentley.whereas normally I'm overwhelmed with the sound and power of this sub and had not been listening to the fine detail.I will re-do the set up and positioning.Thanks again for your input.

Regards..........Alan

baritone

Hello,

Have now repositioned my sub1,after trying various placings and rerun PBK, and the sub is spot on with other speakers. I use to have a separate stereo unit with no sub but got rid of it and now only use 7.1 system(stereo +sub for music) The sub 1 has been great in my set-up and this has been the only slight hic-up to date.

Regards............Alan

Trending threads

Top Bottom