• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lads which of these DV-tape camcorders should I go for

Romero

Ok my old Panasonic DV-Tape camera seems to have given up the ghost, I was taping my Daughters school play and it would shut itself down during recording and re-start itself:( Anyway not sure whats up with it but its 8 years old so time to get a new one.

Now as I'm on a tight budget and I need to pick one up fairly quickly as have a birthday party happening on Saturday I need to pick one of the following:-

Panasonic NVGS90 €299
Canon MD101 €258.99
Canon MD205 €249.95
Sony MD51 €254.79 (not to keen on this as its not real widescreen)

Also there are 2 JVC's but take it from reading hear not the best make they are GRD820 & GRD720

Main use is only for filming family events etc. I've done my searches on here but would like someone to point me in the right direction:lease:

senu

Distinguished Member
AFAIK both Canons are almost identical , the 101 is the older , but not nessesarily more dated model

The Panasonic looks slightly better specified but Im not sure that result in better results than the Canons although it does have Optical image stabilisation
The Canons have mic -in ( of that is any good to you)
I am unable to make a direct comparison but I would imagine theywould be similar
I cannot comment on the Sony

Romero

AFAIK both Canons are almost identical , the 101 is the older , but not nessesarily more dated model

The Panasonic looks slightly better specified but Im not sure that result in better results than the Canons although it does have Optical image stabilisation
The Canons have mic -in ( of that is any good to you)
I am unable to make a direct comparison but I would imagine theywould be similar
I cannot comment on the Sony

thanks for your inputs Senu, I think that the Panasonic is true Widescreen as well and the Optical image stabilisation is handy as I've a bit of shaky hand then again that could be the weight of my old camcorder as its about 3 of current ones :)
I take it that Digital Optical stablisation doesn't work as well as the Optical Image Stablisation.
Not sure on the Canon's reading about the noisy motors does it affect the 205's as well?

senu

Distinguished Member
thanks for your inputs Senu, I think that the Panasonic is true Widescreen as well and the Optical image stabilisation is handy as I've a bit of shaky hand then again that could be the weight of my old camcorder as its about 3 of current ones :)
I take it that Digital Optical stablisation doesn't work as well as the Optical Image Stablisation.
Not sure on the Canon's reading about the noisy motors does it affect the 205's as well?
OIS , when implemented well is better than EIS ( electronic) but in these pocket friendly models Im not sure if youll notice the difference
AFAIK, the noise did not affect the MD 101s ..
I dont think any the Canons or Panny will dissapoint:)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I bought my daughter a MD101, on advice from Red-Sox, I think it was.
Seems to do a decent job and she's very happy with it :smashin:

Romero

I'm kind of siding with the GS90 just a bit worried about these CCD specs
1/6" CCD (800 k pixels, Total / 400 k [4:3], 370 k [16:9] (Motion Picture) / 410 k [4:3], 380 k [16:9] (Still Picture) Effective)
Will this give a decent picture on a 42" Panasonic Plasma?

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
What is worrying you? The number of pixels isn't an issue - standard definition DV is 720x576; the camcorder has all the pixels you need. To get higher resolution video you need to go for a High Def model.

The 1/6" sensor is all you will find in this price range. A larger sensor is better in low light; but all these models will be OK for the money.

Romero

What is worrying you? The number of pixels isn't an issue - standard definition DV is 720x576; the camcorder has all the pixels you need. To get higher resolution video you need to go for a High Def model.

The 1/6" sensor is all you will find in this price range. A larger sensor is better in low light; but all these models will be OK for the money.

Ok thanks Redsox, just if you were in my shoes would you go for the Canon or Panny?

Romero

I would go for the Canon MD205. Good quality video for the price, and has a mic input socket.

Ok thanks Redsox I picked the Canon MD205 up last night got a good deal at €210. I will test it out over the next 2 days and see how I get on with it, any decent deals for accessories for this camera?
Things I'm looking for are backup battery, standalone charger, carry case?

Thanks

AndyLFC5

Hello, I know this thread is pretty old, but just wondering how you got on with the 205, as I am about to buy one, your feedback will be appreciated as finding reviews is quite hard.

Romero

Hello, I know this thread is pretty old, but just wondering how you got on with the 205, as I am about to buy one, your feedback will be appreciated as finding reviews is quite hard.

Just replied to your pm, in a sentance a decent little camcorder for the casual user, I use it for family events kids birthday partys, weddings that kind of thing, quality of video and sound are fine and look ok on a 42" Plasma. Hope this is some help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom