Lads weekend in Amserdam, help needed.....

gilford

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to arrange a weekend in Amsterdam for the lads. There will be around 12 of us in total and our nearest airport is either Liverpool or Manchester.

What is the cheapest and easiest way for me to book this? I have looked on the net but all I can find is dodgy Stag weekends for over £180 per person and that does not include flights :eek: :eek:

Any help on this will be much appreciated, I haven't got a clue where to start with this and I have to try and keep it as reasonably priced as possible :cool:

Cheers lads

Marcus

telford_mike

I usually find that DIY is best. Go easyJet from Liverpool (great cooked breakfast to set you up on the way there). Get a cheap hotel close to Damm Square from Expedia or one of the other internet brokers (just google Amsterdam Hotel). Trains go straight from the airport to Central station.

Miniholic

I use www.hrs.de for short breaks, its a German site, but you can select English. Not sure about flights, but I usually use Thomsonfly from Doncaster, not always the cheapest, but its worth it for me to save on the hassle.

Stayed at the Belle Vue in Amsterdam last year, nice modern hotel 5 minutes from the station and just on the edge of the main tourist areas. A coleague uses The Avenue, which is part of the same group but more traditional.

The Belle Vue even has LCD tv's sunk into the bedroom walls if you can't bear to be parted from your AV, although I would hope you can find something better to do in Amsterdam.:D

limblee

Not sure on hotel costs, but you can fly via Manchester Terminal 1, check out the prices on jet2.com Going on the weekend will always push the price up, try Thursday to Saturday or better still stay til Monday or Tuesday.

Accylad

Distinguished Member
We booked with Easyjet from Liverpool on-line then got the train from the airport into Amsterdam - can't remember much after that but I am almost certain we stayed for three nights :D

gilford

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the info lads :)

So DIY is the best then? I reckon I can get return flights with easyjet for £90 but what is the average for a decent (but not 5 star) hotel?

Dave

Distinguished Member
I found easy jet by far the cheapest with flights from as little as 30 quid return. The hotels aren't really that cheap near dam square or central station.

It's worth the effort to look hard though, Amsterdam is a strangely crazy wonderful place.:)

Razor

I have been to Amsterdam 16 times now. I love the place.

I always use easy jet for my flights, I find the earlier you book the flights the cheaper they are.

You can get a cab or a train straight into the Dam, Cab ride is about £30-£35 and the train is very cheap. I always use a cab. If there are few of you the cab works out about the same if you get a minibus. There are also coaches which stop off at all the hotels, these are also very cheap.

Hotel wise I usually use The Crown Plaza which is a five star hotel. This can be a bit expensive, if your not after that there is a good apartment to rent called Residence le Coin. The rooms are massive and it has its own kitchen area too if you want too cook. The place is spotless and you get a lounge area. I think you could easily fit 4 people or more in one of these suites. Price wise its very reasonable and its very close to every thing.

Good restaurants: You can beat a gaucho Steak house for a quality steak. There is also an excellent Japanese place near the Crown plaza Hotel just down from the small Grasshopper with the glass front. Rosas Cantina is another nice place to eat which serves Mexican food.

Good luck, I know you will have an excellent time there. :thumbsup:

gilford

Distinguished Member
How much is the 5* per night out of curiosity?

Mind you, 12 rat arsed lads rolling in at 3am wont be etiquate there I'm sure :)

Razor

How much is the 5* per night out of curiosity?

Mind you, 12 rat arsed lads rolling in at 3am wont be etiquate there I'm sure :)

The crown plaza is about £120 per night but you can get deals where you book for 2 nights and the third night is free. You normally get breakfast thrown in as well. Its an American style buffet and there is champagne there as well if you like that sort of thing.

Residence le coin is about £80 per night.

I normally just google about for deals, there is always some about. :)

BTW everyone in the Dam is smashed on something or another. ;) :D

gilford

Distinguished Member
Hotel Résidence Le Coin looks pretty good, and at e130 per night its a good price also!

Have you stayed here before? It looks quite small on their virtual tour and I'm not sure how the reception would fair @ 3am when we have all had a good night out :devil:

Thoughts?

Razor

Hotel Résidence Le Coin looks pretty good, and at e130 per night its a good price also!

Have you stayed here before? It looks quite small on their virtual tour and I'm not sure how the reception would fair @ 3am when we have all had a good night out :devil:

Thoughts?

I have stayed at le Coin 4 times. The rooms I stayed in were about 40 foot by 30 foot. (inc the lounge area). I then had a separate kitchen and bathroom area.

Dont worry about the reception and being smashed. They are used to this in the Dam. :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom