1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladies & Gentlemen the TW100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Epson have released a new projector, so what you might say. Well that's what I thought, but after much closer inspection I think this projector warrants a much closer look.

So what is it?

The TW100 is a 1280x720 widescreen LCD projector and is Epson's first ever projector designed for the home cinema market. It is also being rebadged by Yamaha which I find amazing since their first effort was a DLP and they have decided to ditch DLP in favour of an LCD based product. So what else do we know? It uses a new generation of Epson LCD panel code named Dream II, these have a 25% increase in aperture ratio compared to previous efforts. Part of this increase is due to a higher fill ratio which should decrease the screen door effect. The new LCD design also allows greater contrast ratios which will result in projector contrast specs of 400-700:1 ANSI depending in the light engine/optics design. Many people have already testified to how good the LCD panels are as they are used in the Panasonic AE100.

In the design of the TW100 projector, Epson have made a number of design decisions which to me show that they are serious about Home Cinema products. Firstly light output, which is a mere 500 lumens in theatre mode and 700 in PC mode. While this won't satisfy the lumens hungry US market, it is plenty when used in a light controlled room with a reasonable size screen. The panel design allows for much greater lumens spec so this is clearly a design decision rather than panel limitation. Another bold move was to build in Faroudja video processing/deinterlacing rather than try to make something themselves as done by Sharp and Sony which would have been much inferior. They have also managed to create a very quiet projector being rated at 30db. Another good sign is colour temperature, the default for this projector is 6700K, most other companies go for much high colour temperatures because they yield higher contrast ratios. The projector also has a 6500K mode which is what all projectors should be set to. I have yet to see the projector myself but I understand that it has the best colour controls seen on a panel projector. Other very nice features include a 3000 hour lamp, DVI and VGA inputs that support the native 1280x720 resolution. Also the 3rd generation Epson DAR scaller is highly regarded.

Summary:

1280x720 LCD projector, current state-of-the-art LCD panels, 500-700 lumens, 600-700:1 ANSI contrast ratio, 30db, 3000 Hour lamp, Faroudja video processing, colour space highly controllable, DVI and VGA native resolution support.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    DVI Yummy:) . How much?

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm waiting for a price from www.av-sales.com but I expect it to be around £4000-4500.

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add some more info :)

Well after searching it seems the Japanese model is called the ELP-TW100 which as you can see

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/elp/elp_tw100/tw1003.htm
    http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/elp/elp_tw100/tw1001.htm
    http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/elp/setuzoku/elptw100_i.htm
    has the exact same specs as the european model.... BUT! having a look for the price in Japan might give us a clue on the price http://www.pricejapan.com/hot_item.htm which is about 2.9 times that of the Panasonic which is currently the most popular projector for £1400 here. Which by my maths the Epson should retails for about £3999.... however in Japan the Sharp z9000 is only going for another $1000 I wonder what it would cost to import one of those Z9000 machines into the UK.

Generic info below..

The new EPSON EMPTW-100 LCD projector brings superb quality, big screen entertainment into your home. Simple to set up and operate, quiet and compact, this small wonder is compatible with analogue or digital TVs, VCRs, DVD players, game consoles and PCs, and will have a big impact on how you view home entertainment.

EPSON Advanced Technologies
    EPSON’s industry leading LCD technologies, which include EPSON Dream2 LCD wide panels, ensure maximum image quality whatever you’re watching. The EMP-TW100 is also fully HDTV compliant and features the latest ‘Faroudja DCDi’* advanced image processor, which ensures smooth and natural outlines.

Amazing big screen quality
    Now you can experience clear, stunning big screen images up to 300 inches in size to create your own superb home cinema. From DVDs to games, with up to 600:1 contrast ratio, the new EPSON EMPTW-100 projector has what it takes to provide a high level of clarity, contrast, colour and image definition. Revolutionise your home entertainment set-up - even in daylight conditions.

Five colour settings for Personal choice
    A new Colour Adjustment Menu offers five image colour modes to maximise quality depending on your personal choice or application:

THEATRE for DVD/movies
    NATURAL for natural colour reproduction
    DYNAMIC for vivid TV and PC games
    PC for the brightest image
    sRGB for colours in accordance with the sRGB standard.
    Up to six preferred colour settings can be stored
    for each colour mode for future viewing.

Easy to use and setup
    Clear control panels and on screen menus make this projector simple to set up and use, while a comprehensive remote control provides the power to direct operations without leaving your armchair. This versatile projector is capable of handling both analogue and digital signals. Additionally the Automatic Source Recognition feature switches instantly to the incoming signal.

Remarkably quiet and compact
    Sleek and compact, weighing in at just 4.2kg with a footprint of only 348 x 274mm. The EMPTW-100 can be easily integrated into a range of home environments and even transported between rooms.

High resolution widescreen format
    Ideal for the home cinema experience
    Crystal clear brightness
    "Faroudja DCDi*" advanced image processor for smooth and natural outlines
    Ceiling or table mounted for convenient viewing
    Quietest and most compact in its class

Specifications
    Part Number V11H053040DA
    220v: for the relevant part number for your territory please contact your Reseller or your EPSON Distributor(s)
    Display technology 3 x polysilicon TFT Extended High Aperture 0.87” LCD panels
    Aspect Ratio 16 x 9
    Resolution 1280 x 720
    Brightness 700 ANSI Lumens
    Light Source 150W Ultra High Efficiency UHE Lamp
    Screen Size 30" to 300"
    Zoom Operation Manual
    Zoom ratio 1:1.35
    Focus Manual adjustment
    Contrast Ratio 600:1
    Digital Keystone Correction Vertical: -15º to +15º
    VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA display Digital Active Resizing (DAR) Technology
    Scanning frequency Horizontal: 15-92 KHz
    Vertical: 50-85 Hz
    Pixel Clock 14-160 MHz
    Audio Output None
    Video Component Input Signal Video Standard: 525i(60)/625i(50)/525P(60)/625P(50)Y/Cb/Cr 750P(50/60)/1125i(50/60)Y/Pb/Pr
    Video Composite/S Input Signal Video Standard: NTSC/NTSC4.43/PAL/M-PAL/N-PAL/PAL60/SECAM
    Analog RGB Input Display Performance Native: W-XGA
    Resize: VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA
    Digital RGB Input Display Performance Native: W-XGA
    Resize: VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA
    Connecting Terminals:
    Input Terminal-RGB DVI Type I x 1 (DDC 2B compatible)
    Mini D-sub 15pin x 1
    Input Terminals-Video Composite Video: RCA x 1
    Component Video: Mini D-sub 15 PINX1. RCA x 3
    S Video: Mini DIN x 1
    Input terminals-Control RS-232C
    Output Terminal Trigger out: Mini Jack x 1
    Dimensions (Exclude projection lens & feet) 348(W) x 104(H) x 274(D)mm
    Maximum Dimension 349(W) x 114(H) x 276(D)mm
    Weight Approx. 9.3lbs/4.2Kg
    Power Consumption 100-120V 2.7-1.3A 50/60Hz
    Power Supply Voltage 100-240V/200-240V ±10%, 50/60Hz AC
    Fan Noise 30dB
    Accessories Power Cord: 3m, Remote Control, Battery: AA x 2, Rubber Stand, User’s Manual
    Warranty 3 year European warranty,
    2 year world wide warranty

Specifications subject to change.

5. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Very interesting indeed.

If you look at 'that' Japanese site ;) , you'll see the Sony VPL-VW11HT, the Yamaya TLP-MTJ and the new Epson go for very similar prices, so there you have another price reference. Or differently put: take Japanese prices, convert to US dollars. That figure in pounds sterling will be the British price (how's that for a margin?).

Regards.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Oh God!!!!

Jeff....another one for me to get in to look at......This sounds a bit more like it though! Proof of the pudding...etc

Gordon

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone mentioned on another forum that epson's website was quoting £3999+v.a.t! (about £4400 !?!?). It would have to be very very good for that money....

Ill keep dreaming of a WXGA 16:9 panel @ 700 lumens with noise level @<32db for £1999 :p

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    This may well end up being the panel used in the "Vapourware" Panasonic PT AE200!.

Wonder how much Panasonic will charge though?:confused:

£1999 inc Vat sounds about right to me!!!;)

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    it seems a bit harsh to call it vapourware. More like 'wishful thinking-ware'.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I can't believe I was seriously contemplating being an LCD projector, what was I thinking?. :eek:

11. dart22

dart22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is that a 1.35:1 throw ratio I spy, or is it just optimism?

13. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That is the throw ratio stated in the spec sheet!