Lack of studio support

norealplan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

Right I have an xbox 360, a High Def TV, surround sound, a passion for films and an ok amount of cash flow. So why am I not jumping on the HD-DVD bandwagon yet? Studio support.

Looking at some of the Blu-Ray releases coming up, it makes me wonder if I'll ever see those films on HD-DVD. What do you guys reckon? Has Blu-Ray buying in the states suddenly shot up since the PS3 launch? Or is it looking more likely for other studios to jump on board with HD-DVD? I know nothing is concrete, and I'm not disputing that £130 for a HD-DVD player is a bargain (I paid over £300 for my original DVD player years ago) but where my problem lies is that I don't want to end up with a format that only has a handful of releases a month, compared to that of one which has hundreds.

On a side note, just noticed Gamestation have started selling HD-DVDs, all £17.99 each, not bad for high street I didn't think when compared to HMV's £24.99 ones.

Hi there guys,

Right I have an xbox 360, a High Def TV, surround sound, a passion for films and an ok amount of cash flow. So why am I not jumping on the HD-DVD bandwagon yet? Studio support.
You seem a sensible lad. Probably save yourself a fair few quid if you hold on and wait and see which format wins out in the end. If any...

But the thing is grandmothers are sensible, wearing a seat belt is sensible, condoms are sensible. You get me?

I have the 360 HD add-on and have already built up a fair collection of HD-DVDs and yet I still plan to buy a PS3 next year and purchase whatever titles that take my fancy on Blu-Ray, those which aren't available on Hd-DVD, anyhoo.

It's prolly not the wisest move on my part but the way I see it I'll get to enjoy a greater variety of films in the best possible A/V presentation. I'll worry about being stuck with a duff format at a later date.

That is if I don't get run over by a bus fist.

But the thing is grandmothers are sensible, wearing a seat belt is sensible, condoms are sensible.

Actually, they are.

Still, other than this howler, you make some excellent points about not waiting needlessly and getting in to enjoy the HD revolution. So well done there.

Craigy Boy - stop messing about an get an HD-DVD drive or player. Now.

Still, one other thing:

easycure said:
That is if I don't get run over by a bus fist.

To paraphrase your earlier point - "good spelling is sensible". :D

I can afford it so i want it now, im not going to buy a standalone player for either format any time soon but i own the hd-dvd addon and will get a ps3

I have invested in HD-DVD.Not the HD-E1,which I did order,but got fed up with waiting,so I cancelled and ordered the X-BOX HD-DVD add-on.A bit of a co-incidence that my son bought an X-BOX 360,bless him.
If I am not able to access it I can play it through my computer.

I will stay with HD-DVD.I hope Blu-ray fails big time,it deserves to.As to studio support I'm not worrying,by the time it might actually matter either HD-DVD will have won the war or the pirates will be able to copy Blu-ray titles to HD-DVD.I will never buy Blu-ray,I blame Sony entirely for this fiasco.

Actually, they are.

Still, other than this howler, you make some excellent points about not waiting needlessly and getting in to enjoy the HD revolution. So well done there.

Craigy Boy - stop messing about an get an HD-DVD drive or player. Now.

Still, one other thing:

To paraphrase your earlier point - "good spelling is sensible". :D

Would have to agree on the seatbelts....I've got brain damge from goin through a windscreen, and can hardly see a thing due to damage to my optic nerves.....changed my life...no college...no degree.....no nothing....the £450k compo in the pipeline is a nice thought, but been waiting for 3 years already....apparently 6 months to go...after i complete another rehab course....

Hmmm sorry about that, just got me going the seatbelt thing.....

Now condoms, thats a different story, tried one once, never again, uhhhh....get ya misses to have an implant put in her arm, does the job :).....I guess I haven't got any unwanted kids though, so I might have a similar view on condoms as to seatbelts if I had. ;)

tumbleweed.gif

:D

I really don't know :rolleyes: ....guess I got a thing about seat belts and a thing about condoms....mix them together and I start talking crap, also me brain damage makes an ignorant tool sometimes so, uhhh yeah thats about the size of it. feel free to carry on discussion of lack of studio support. :)

HD-DVD has plenty of studio support.

Universal (yeah that's right, only Universal) , Paramount, Pathe, Warner, Studio Canal, 2Entertain/BBC, DVD International, Weinstein, EIV, Genius, Image Entertainment and New Line (TBC).

A count was done over on AVS.forums and the results were something akin to 48,000 movies for BD and 40,000 for HD DVD.

This tale of a supposed lack of content is simply laughable.

It basically boils down to Fox, Lionsgate and Disney.

If you're that ar*ed you can either go SD DVD or in the case of Fox or Lionsgate easily find them in HD capped from, er, 'other sources' on the net.

My sister has just come back from New York and I asked her to pick up a few HD-DVD's for me.

Problem was she went into the large virgin megastore, and other dvd retail outlets and she said there were rows of Blue-ray movies and the smallest amount of hd-dvd's. Most stores didnt even have hd-dvds only blue-ray.

I hope over in the USA they arent trying to push blue-ray and not hd-dvd, coz if thats the case the future doesnt look bright for hd-dvd. Oh course this was only New York and it may be different in other areas of the usa.

My sister has just come back from New York and I asked her to pick up a few HD-DVD's for me.

Problem was she went into the large virgin megastore, and other dvd retail outlets and she said there were rows of Blue-ray movies and the smallest amount of hd-dvd's. Most stores didnt even have hd-dvds only blue-ray.

I hope over in the USA they arent trying to push blue-ray and not hd-dvd, coz if thats the case the future doesnt look bright for hd-dvd. Oh course this was only New York and it may be different in other areas of the usa.

No doubt BDA has the best PR and sales team as far as retailers are concerned. Unfortunatly for them, consumers are much cleverer today, thanks mainly to the internet.

The big question to me now is, not will the exclusives crack but when. HD-DVD seems to be quickly building a good reputation and user base. The studios will only ignore it so long before the lure of cash becomes too great.

Hi there guys,

I'd say go for it and don't worry about what could or could not happen as IMO £130 is a pretty cheap price to pay to get HD movies now and should it all go to pot it's not like you've lost the huge chunk of money that a dedicated player will cost. Unless of course the only movies that you want to buy arn't going to be released on HD-DVD.

Plus it might also work with your PC if/when HD-DVD data discs become the norm which is another plus point.

But the thing is grandmothers are sensible, wearing a seat belt is sensible, condoms are sensible. You get me?
Ok, it's a poor analogy, folks. No offence meant, and if I have in anyway insulted any grandmothers out there, I apologise for that too.

Erm, right, carry on...

*cough*

Yet another reason to go for a HD player now... Is Transformers!!! :D

Seriously, I knew it was coming, but after just watching the trailer :eek:

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/transformers/

I'm drooling at the thought of this on HD-DVD :clap: :clap:

Go get your player now!!! :lesson:

Looking good, I can only hope that it'll be a certificate 18 action gorefest as well.....

We can hope.... but I'd put money on it being a 15 :rolleyes: It seems the studios always go for the wider market now a days :(

Can you imagine Aliens as a 15 :eek:

personally, I'm comfortable with the idea of buying into a format which might turn out to lose the war, because I believe that in the end we will end up with cheap-ass multi-format players. They will play discs from both sides of the fence, and likely those that I have on the losing side will not be bettered in terms of picture quality or features by their equivalents on the winning side.

We can hope.... but I'd put money on it being a 15 :rolleyes: It seems the studios always go for the wider market now a days :(

Can you imagine Aliens as a 15 :eek:

Yes....they called it Alien Vs Predator:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom