Lack of signal - Way Forward?

jimmyca69

Quick question really

Wanted to setup my xbox live on xbox downstairs which meant moving my router downstairs so the xbox was connected via network cable.

Bought a Belkin wireless card (Belkin FD7000UK) for my PC upstairs (quite a bit away) to connect to the router.

Now i knew signal wouldnt be great but it just about manages to connect and when it does it very slow. Newsgroup speeds of around 20kb/s compared to 400kb/s when wired or router in same room. Also drops connections regularly.

Now question is what is best option for me now?

1) Buy antenna to boost signal of the wireless card? or

2) Buy Xbox wireless adapter leaving router upstairs with pc

I have found an antenna like this one Netshop - Belkin F5D6900 Desktop Antenna but it says only 5" of cable - i was hoping it would be more to reposition it on desk rather than on floor by PC.

Other option i have has problems too, will the xbox adapter have same signal problem?

I have found many non-belkin specific antenna's that boost signal but will they fit the wireless card i have - like this WiFi Wireless Network WLAN 6dBi Antenna: Electronics & Photo: Amazon.co.uk

My laptop picks up the signal of the downstairs router fine when on the same desk as the PC so i know its the belkin thats the problem - i just want something relatively inexpensive that can get me a decent signal from upstairs.

Anyone else have the wireless card or know whats best to boost its signal and save me from going mad.

graystreet

Have you tried changing wireless channels to see if that helps your reception. It could be due to other wireless networks in your vicinity.

You can use something like Netstumbler to scan for other networks.

jimmyca69

Have you tried changing wireless channels to see if that helps your reception. It could be due to other wireless networks in your vicinity.

You can use something like Netstumbler to scan for other networks.
Seeing as my laptop in same position can pick up the signal fine i would assume not? i did try channel's 1,2 and 3 but were same so didnt go any further :thumbsdow

garlik_bread

Novice Member
How did the Belkin wireless dongle that i lent you go? Any better?

jimmyca69

Yes it was actually - im getting a good 3 bars with it positioned higher up.

Im thinking with a stronger antenna and ability to position it on desk it should mean a very good signal. There are some for £10-£15 in Maplin's so might pop there to take a look.

Can i keep it for a bit though :D

garlik_bread

Novice Member
Yes it was actually - im getting a good 3 bars with it positioned higher up.

Im thinking with a stronger antenna and ability to position it on desk it should mean a very good signal. There are some for £10-£15 in Maplin's so might pop there to take a look.

Can i keep it for a bit though :D
Yeah, i spose. It was used for my PC upstairs, but that's now my Media Server and connected by ethernet. Glad it worked :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom