1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of DVB/IDVT Products

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Kevo, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    With the digital TV evolution well underway, manufactures seem to be dragging their feet when it comes to incorporating DVB into their products.

So far all I have seen is STBs and a few over expensive TVs.

What is the point in an analog WS TV if the tuner inside it cannot ouput a WS picture ????

What about VCRs?<br />Why make DVHS or PVR machine with analog tuners??<br />Kinda defeats the object if you ask me.

Pocket TVs, Portable 16:9 TVs (would that be a 21 inch screen?), camcorders that record in anamorphic 16:9, Cable and OnDigital STBs with no DD 5.1 capability. In fact, I believe that terrestial digital is incapable of broadcasting DD 5.1 (not sure about Cable though).

Are they just trying to milk the analog system as much as they can?

The analog switch off will come eventually.<br />If 2010 is the year that they say it is, then that is not too far away.

At the moment I need to upgrade my TV, VCR and buy a camcorder, but can't, as there is nothing on the market that suits my needs, which I don't think are too extravagant....are they

[ 24-08-2001: Message edited by: Kevo ]</p>

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I agree entirely. If the Home Office wants to switch off analogue transmissions in a few years, it's going to have to do something to increase the presence of DVB tuners in homes. Manufacturers seem to be unwilling. Why don't all new VCRs and WS (or all) TVs come with DVB built in?

Maybe the Home Office should work something out with other departments and manufacturers eg along the lines of "if it's got a DVB tuner, it attracts a lower rate of import duty" or some such.

As it is we're faced with obtaining Set Top Boxes, which are ludicrously expensive, or are tied in to a subscription TV deal.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Import duty - most IDTVs are Welsh!

But the biggest problem are saddos who think that £200 is a lot for a TV and would never cough up for a decent TV.

We used to have one at work - thought W/S was cr*p and loved P & S, however if it was football it was a different story.

I don't know how much the actual tuner module costs but I think that suppliers were cutting profits slightly to sell a few.

I would not go back from IDTV.

I find blocking of coloured backgrounds less irritating than noise, shadows, and part zooming