1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack Of Detail

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phattanglo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. phattanglo

phattanglo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to find out what is causing a loss of detail from my tv picture.
    I have a Toshiba 42pw23 rptv and a Pioneer dv464 player going through a Pioneer VCX301 receiver.
    The effect I'm experiencing for want of a better description is a swirling effect on darker parts of an image, for instance the clouds in the storm scene in Master & Commander.
    It seems to affect parts of the picture that are not moving.
    My settings are RGB output from the dvd player and scart 1 on the tv which is RGB enabled. :lease:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well historically Toshiba's have been known to be a bit weak with regards scart RGB inputs. Often internally downgrading the RGB signal to s-video. Then you have a Pioneer DVD player which are known to cause some RGB problems anyway as the RGB signal is too intense/strong. On your setup I would try a s-video connection as you may find it results in a better and more realistic image especially with regards colours.

Does the Toshiba have component inputs? If so this will probably give you the very best picture possible on your set. You can get super cheap dvd players now with component output that will probably be an upgrade in picture quality over the Pioneer (assuming the Pioneer doesn't have component output already).

3. dhansak79

dhansak79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put simply your DVD player is the weak link here I'm afraid. The PQ problems you describe are due to your DVD player using a low end decoder.

For displays 42" and above it's well worth spending a bit more on your DVD player. My advice would be to demo some players in the £1000 region and see what you think.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I personally don't think he needs to spend anywhere near £1000 to get a good picture on his rptv. Rptv's are a little soft in detail anyway. What he needs is a player with a clean and precise image that gives out interlace component signals. Which nowadays seems about 70% of models.

Something like this would do the job;

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=genbrw&page=title&r=ELEC&title=509319

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you can go with component input, get the Pio 575, it has a sharpness setting on the menu - put it on "Fine" - the detail is amazing. Great player for the price.

I've not tried it with a SCART but my brother has and he is well impressed.

...PJ

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Can't help thinking though he would be better off with a player other than a Pioneer. His current Pioneer has too strong a RGB signal possibly and the 575 might be the same. He would be better considering a player with a lower contrast/brightness RGB output in addition to interlace component output. Might be worth searching these forums to see what other Toshiba 50hz RPTV owners have bought and what they have been happy with. The one thing you don't want with a 50hz RPTV is any dvd player with a flickery display. You want a rock solid, clean and crisp image. My own believe is the zoran based players tend to do this a bit better than the mediatek players.

7. phattanglo

phattanglo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if the effect might be more to do with the tv itself as I was watching a movie on Sky and got the same result. I'll try to describe the effect as I don't have a camera to record it.
    If you have an image of a misty scene or a landscape with a lot of grey cloud instead of a smooth transition between the shades of grey or whatever colour is on the screen I'm getting obvious steps of colour which look like rings around a central point.