1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of component video justifies dvd player replacement?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rbl, Feb 7, 2005.

1. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Some years ago I bought a Nad T550 DVD Player which has served me well but doesn't have component video outputs, only scart.
    I received my first LCD tv a few days ago and after being hammered by shop clerks praising mighty Video Component God, I ask you, fine people with no comercial interest on me and far more experience: is the video component connection so much better than scart?
    Does it justify the replacement of my DVD player? Will it change my life? =)

Thanks! =)
    Ricardo

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ricardo,

Personally, I'd wait until your current DVD gives up. Sure you can't knock component connections, but IMHO I don't think the difference will 'change your life'! :) I think time spent setting the LCD up correctly will have more of an impact. Having said that, if you've got money to burn, you can pick up a DVD player with component really cheap now(approx £50 - see other thread).

Just don't expect to be 'wowed' by the difference.

As always, I'm interested to hear what others have to say on the subject though. :)

Jud

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You can have poor component output's and good component outputs. Component doesn't really come into its own unless you are running upscaled (not common) or progressive. The same is true for DVI and HDMI. The answer to your problem is dependant on what is better at doing what, the display or the source. A good progressive DVD player or external deinterlacer should give you better results than a TV, but at the lower to mid ranges, a new DVD player may not give you much, if any improvement, over what you have now.

The best advice is to borrow a DVD player from your local hifi shop and compare it in your setup. If you can't do this, take your player along to a shop and compare it against others but into your display model.

-Ian

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    It's quite probable (although clearly I can't confirm it) that your SCART connection is driving your TV with an RGB signal. You should check this, and, if it isn't, work out why and how to make it so (if possible). Check the manuals for details. You may need to make settings on BOTH the TV and DVD and/or choose a different SCART socket on the TV.

RGB is of equal quality to component. The two aren't compatible, but they are as good as each other.

The only benefit of component over RGB is that, IF (and that is only an IF) you have use for a progressive scan signal, this can only be delivered via component; not via RGB.

5. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answers guys! =)

So if I understood correctly, unless I have a "progressive scan signal", component connections won't be an improvement over scart. A "good progressive DVD player" delivering "progressive scan signal" via component will be better.
    In your opinion, blow my socks off better or just better?

Jud: I must say it took me a while to choose the T550 so I'm not very inclined to repeat the process. My list included multi or bi-zone ability, great audio and specially, superb picture quality. I have a handful of movies I use to test players. It includes (Tim Burton's) Nightmare Before Christmas (black's depth and quality), The Abyss (color halos and smooth gradients) and Final Fantasy (fine detail, rich color and everything else). This Nad model knock off the competition as also my bank account =)

There's an interesting thread called Monster Head2head on DVD Players forum, and from what I read, it may be an interesting option to follow Ian's good advice and test my Nad against the Pioneer 575, although as he said, low to mid ranges might not just cut it.

Nigel: I think I have it almost covered but will check the tv and the dvd player for the RGB settings. I bought a Sharp LCGA3E and I'm still not very acquainted with it =)

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi rbl,

Make sure you've got the DVD player connected to input 1 (That's the input that has RGB enablement on, Input 3 also has it on the 32" models) and set the input to RGB on the TV like Nigel has said. The other option will be CVBS which is composite.

There is an option on the Sharp to switch between Interlace and Progressive. Go into Menu->Picture->Advanced->I/P Setting. Display an picture on the tv (I used my DVD players start up screen) and flick between Interlace and Progressive and not the difference. In my mind the picture becomes a little more clearer and sharper because the flicker goes. Only thing is, the TV's progressive mode can introduce jagged edges that DVD players with Prog Scan can remove.

Something else you might notice, if you look at the THX optimiser on the Star Wars discs (Or any other DVDs) is some of the older DVD players are incapable of showing a few shades of black....mine included (Marantz 4100). So, as well as a smoother picture from the newer DVD players you might notice that blacks are blacker if your NAD is like mine. Have yet to test that though.

Another thing to add, since you have a DVI input, you could go for an upscaling DVD player like the Denon 1910/2910/3910 or Panasonic S97 or Samsung HD745/945. The These players upscale the image from standard PAL 576 to 720 Prog Scan and 1080 Interlace (But your tv will only do up to 768 horizontal lines unless you have the 45" model) so 720 would be best. These would be sent through DVI meaning there isn't a Digital to Analogue to Digital conversion).

HTH,

Richie.