1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Bass When Using Centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ShakMan, Jul 12, 2002.

1. ShakMan

ShakMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all ....

Please can you advise me ....

My problem ... I find that when I use a center speaker in my system, I loose too much bass and presence, although I get better vocals and centre soundstaging.

Is this because I have a substandard centre or is it because I do not have a sub-woofer?

My system is: Yamaha RX-V795RDS, Acoustic Energy AE109 Floorstanders (fronts), Acoustic Energy Centre, Acoustic Enery Aegis 1 (Rears).

Thanks all !

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Hi

Having a subwoofer would be better as you´re missing out on a lot of low end bass. If you´re sticking to your current setup make sure you have the front pair set to large, centre and rears to small, subwoofer - NO, bass to MAIN. All bass from the centre & rear channels will then be directed to the front pair.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Jase

I have the same problem....no sub, etc and want to optimise bass to front speaker. I don't have a DVD player yet (month end wages) & I guess I need to connect a certain cable between my arcam avr200 and ordinary Sanyo 25' telly to get at the "large, small" menus. But which cable? What does it look like on the shelf in dixons?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Hi

The cable you´ll need will be either composite (yellow phono plug & lead) or an S-VHS to scart lead (if your TV accepts an S-Video signal). Then connect whatever one you get to the Monitor OUT on the amp. You could also use an S-Video to S-Video lead but it depends what inputs your TV has.

Once you have the dvd player you´ll need an optical or coaxial digital cable to connect to the amp.

To maximise bass with no sub, set the front pair of speakers to Large, centre and rears to Small, select NO for the sub and set all bass to MAIN or FRONTS (description depends on amp/receiver).

Its well worth investing in a subwoofer as well as you´ll improve the low end bass no end. Check out the Power Buys forum as there is a very good deal on a Velodyne subwoofer (CHT 10).

For cables have a look at these websites:

www.chord.co.uk

www.qed.co.uk

www.hificables.co.uk

Cheers

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    What is the difference between S-VHS & S-Video (sorry to go on, but I don't want to buy ther wrong lead tommorrow on the high street):blush:

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Getting myself mixed up as well.:blush: S-Video is the signal, S-VHS is the format (Videos etc) but as you can see despite this we mix them up when talking about cables. S-Video to Scart should be the lead though some people refer to it as S-VHS to Scart. As I did :eek: :rolleyes:

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Gotcha. Nice one Jase, you da man!:)