Lack of Bass in Many Modern Releases

Ruby

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I was watching Transformers: Age of Extinction last night. As I only have a 5.1 system, I was listening to the Atmos track downmixed to Dolby TrueHD 5.1. I found the bass to be lacking for a lot of the movie, especially in the final battle. I've noticed a lack of bass in many newer movies and was wondering if this is mixing issue with a lot of modern blu-rays or a flaw in my setup.

Of all my BDs, AoE has almost too much bass on my kit!!!! Can't say I've noticed this issue, especially with Atmos tracks (a recent comparison of the Expendables UHDs Atmos track to the regular BDs DTS-HD MA showed the Atmos track having greater bass levels!).

What is your kit and how is it set up? What's your crossover set at on your sub? Have you got yer speakers set to small? Has your AVR got an auto setup - if so, how has it set your sub up? Every single AVR I've had has never got the distance or level right, I've always had to tweak it.

Don't mean to ask noddy questions, apologies if they are!!! But there's so many variables with bass (including your room!!!) that there could be many reasons the bass is lacking for you.

Last edited:
Front speakers are all KK Quattros, rears are Monitor Audio Gold, both subs are KK DXD-12012s. Crossovers are all set to 80hz, the whole system has then be equalised using Audyssey XT32, and then I used an SPL meter.

I only listen at 65db, but have noticed plenty of bass on discs like Sunshine and Centurion.

Front speakers are all KK Quattros, rears are Monitor Audio Gold, both subs are KK DXD-12012s. Crossovers are all set to 80hz, the whole system has then be equalised using Audyssey XT32, and then I used an SPL meter.

I only listen at 65db, but have noticed plenty of bass on discs like Sunshine and Centurion.

Nice kit! Maybe I just run my system hot, but in all honesty I can't say I've noticed a lack of bass on modern discs compared to older ones.

Nice kit! Maybe I just run my system hot, but in all honesty I can't say I've noticed a lack of bass on modern discs compared to older ones.
What volume do you generally listen at?

What volume do you generally listen at?
I listen at about -65 on my Denon but if I'm on my own I crank it up to -75. Not too quiet at all!

There can quite often be filtered LFE tracks on some Blu rays. Some are more aggressive than others with The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug being an example.

If any of these below are lacking bass then I'd check your setup or have a tinker with the levels:-

Edge of Tomorrow
War Horse
Lone Survivor
Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army
Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Oblivion
Skyfall
Brave
War of the Worlds

Definitely Edge of Tomorrow, the first minute or so has some serious LFE that should either impress you or maybe show an issue with your setup.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll give Edge of Tomorrow a go this weekend.

I experimented yesterday by lowering my crossovers to 40hz and everything sounded cleaner than before. Now none of my speakers are really designed to go lower than 80hz, but is this a good indication that I might need to change my subs' positions? I sit in a small rectangle room and watch across the short width of the room. One sub is currently in the rear left corner and the other is in the front right corner.

Have you got your lfe channel reproducing up to 120hz? You're not limiting that one to 80hz are you?

I can't believe a x over as low as 40hz can be a good thing when your speakers are only rated down to 80hz.
I think I would be trying to look at everything from a fresh point of view.

Want some deep bass,tried the train crash in Steven Spielberg Super 8 an room wrecker :D
It certainly does. However now I dread these words, Gramps, put Super 8 on for me. I know every crash and bloody bang.

Want some deep bass,tried the train crash in Steven Spielberg Super 8 an room wrecker :D

It certainly does. However now I dread these words, Gramps, put Super 8 on for me. I know every crash and bloody bang.

Super 8 is a great mix in terms of quality and the story is good, but deep it ain't ;)

Heavy 30Hz filter!

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

If you want deep, you need to check out those films mentioned earlier in the thread:

There can quite often be filtered LFE tracks on some Blu rays. Some are more aggressive than others with The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug being an example.

If any of these below are lacking bass then I'd check your setup or have a tinker with the levels:-

Edge of Tomorrow
War Horse
Lone Survivor
Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army
Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Oblivion
Skyfall
Brave
War of the Worlds

;)

Yup I have to agree ( especially Atmos ) that I've not felt discs lacking in LFE , maybe Ultron at a push ( not Atmos). I would say it's the complete opposite as in centre channel can sometimes be lacking on some discs . I've not found the need to raise my LFE channel but have at times had to raise the centre especially on top heavy soundtrack action scenes when dialogue can become muted to a degree.

Not having any problem on Atmos or DTS X mixes though on either front though. Fantastic upgrade to the home cinema soundstage from all channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom