lack advice in forum sub section - please allow me to ask here :) - Seeking sub £100 Smart HD player with Ethernet

david4k

Novice Member
Wasnt getting coverage in Player section, so please permit asking to wider audience here - there must be a breadth of advice on this popular query - Need a sub £100 Smart Bluray player for 1080p (dont need 4k)
Need Ethernet and usual raft of Netflix, Prime, Youtube Apps (dont need wifi)
Looking for best image quality and excellent SD to HD scaling
Incidentally my 10yr+ old Sony LCD does great scaling already - I am assuming the more modern player will be better - as both offer scaling, how is this automatically handled - is it better to manually set one to override other if possible?

This is an interim player whilst I save up for a top 4k modern screen as the image on this Sony, to me, given a good source, is exceptional - cant believe how it handles original Startrek Series - stunningly sharp and space scenes have epic contrast - hence desire to support it for longer :)

Wasnt getting coverage in Player section, so please permit asking to wider audience here - there must be a breadth of advice on this popular query - Need a sub £100 Smart Bluray player for 1080p (dont need 4k)
Incidentally my 10yr+ old Sony LCD does great scaling already - I am assuming the more modern player will be better - as both offer scaling, how is this automatically handled - is it better to manually set one to override other if possible?

This is an interim player whilst I save up for a top 4k modern screen as the image on this Sony, to me, given a good source, is exceptional - cant believe how it handles original Startrek Series - stunningly sharp and space scenes have epic contrast - hence desire to support it for longer :)
I would look at getting a good used player off e bay to be honest. There is a shortage of AV stock at the moment due to Covid etc, the used market is more likely to yield better results.

If you are playing Blu rays, then there is no upscaling required of course, it's straight HD to an HD screen.If you are watching DVDs, then test both to see what looks better. If the player is set to output native resolution, the TV will automatically do the scaling duties, otherwise set player to output 1080p.

As far as the 10 year old LCD is concerned, you may think it looks good, but compared to a modern 4K OLED, trust me, it needs replacing sooner rather than later.

I would look at getting a good used player off e bay to be honest. There is a shortage of AV stock at the moment due to Covid etc, the used market is more likely to yield better results.

If you are playing Blu rays, then there is no upscaling required of course, it's straight HD to an HD screen.If you are watching DVDs, then test both to see what looks better. If the player is set to output native resolution, the TV will automatically do the scaling duties, otherwise set player to output 1080p.

As far as the 10 year old LCD is concerned, you may think it looks good, but compared to a modern 4K OLED, trust me, it needs replacing sooner rather than later.

mikej

A quick look on the Richer Sounds or Currys websites will reveal there are only around 6 to choose from (from Sony, LG and Panasonic) and all are well below your budget of £100.

You'd have to check the product specs to see which apps they support, but I wouldn't expect the smart platforms on any of them to be great though - a cheap streaming device like a Fire TV Stick (or similar) would be a better option for that, I suspect.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom