1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacie Technical Support - do they ever answer ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Apr 26, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I've been waiting for assistance from Laciw Technical support for a week now and still had no answer. There's no phone number on the site and only email contact.
    I bought an external hard drive from their own shop along with a Firewire 800 card and am not sure if I need to download and install patches because of some mention of it elsewhere on the site (mentions problems with XP SP2). Since installing and using the Firewire 800 card last night, I've encountered problems when booting for the first time, it sepnds an age sorting out indexes and files structures on the external drive, whereas using it before on normal firewire didn't give a probem.

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I hope they have answered you by now! otherwise I am in for a long wait.

I asked a few days ago now, if I am able to add another external HHD onto the one I already have, maybe daisy chain it ?
    Or do I need a Firewire card........as all my current sockets are full.

I think I will wait as I do not like the idea of getting a card and then running into the same probs you have encountered and then waiting again.

Is it sorted now?

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I didn't get a reply for a while so I cc'd the sales department when I sent the next email saying that I was still waiting for a reply - that got me a better response !

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'll give that a bash over the weekend
    Cheers

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I wouldn't bother. I managed to get through to them after about an hour but they refused to help saying that of the million units they sold they "rarely" get any problems with data corruption and I must have a faulty drive.

Seems a bit strange then that forums have many many people complaining of indexing problems and they've released patches for SP2. My disk kept increasing its bad sectors so I sent it back for a replacement. My other lacie disk has also had one or two indexing problems.

The problem, I think, is to do with the delayed-write caching and not stopping the device properly. If you're using SP2 flash the firmware with the patch from the site, disable write-caching and make sure you stop the device properly (even though disabling write-caching should mean you shouldn't have to but just to be sure).

Since I did this, fingers-crossed, I haven't had any further problems with indexing and read errors on either of my Lacie drives. I'm just glad I had the second drive with all my music on because I lost the whole lot when my latest drive was getting the indexing and read errors. I was not a happy man but I could have been inconsolable. Backing up is so so so important. Hard drives fail. Backup your archive.

6. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Oh I know my lacie drive went down after 3-4 months with a nice lot of lossless files on it !!!!eeeek!!!! replacement arrived the next day which was impressive, that why I thought I would get another one to back the first up.

However After two weeks now, waiting for some kind of e-mail responce, I have just e-mailed maxtor and seagate asking them the same compatibility/plug in question, maybe I'll be getting one or two of there drives instead.
    HoHum