1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacie Silverscreen

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Edt, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got one of these. Tested in with some MP3, DivX, and Xvid material and all good! Forward & back scanning but sluggish, but plays the files very very well. Lots of buttons to play with too ! I gather it handles .srt files too (subtitles) but yet to test.. will post findings when I do.

Now.. the question. The specs. show it can output Component non-interlaced. It comes with a few cables for composite & s-video, plus a scart adaptor. which all plug into the HMDI port. No sign of how to get component though (and my BenQ LOVES progrressive scan component!)

anyone here any thoughts? Thanks

Ed

2. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bumpety bump

3. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rang Lacie about this query.. very friendly but 'sorry cant help' !

damn
    Ed

4. Horrabin

Horrabin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got the Silverscreen last week and am very pleased with it (except for the feel of the remote, but all buttons are going to be programmed into my HTM-MX500 so that's not an issue for long). However, I'm only using the s-video connection right now since it's the best picture from the options included in the box. In the manual, it says that if you want a converter to scart, component or vga, you should contact your local Lacie support, but it sound like you've done that with no luck. Good thing then that I found the website of the company that developed the Silverscreen. :)

Unibrain has developed the iZak which was apparently bought by Lacie and renamed to Silverscreen. From one of their pages you can find a link to where you can buy the other conversion cables. It's found here, at something called 1394store. I haven't bought anything there yet since I'm waiting for a reply from my Lacie support (in Sweden), but if they can't help me, I'm guessing an order for a component cable (€19) is on it's way.

5. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    excellent work - many thanks ! Will investigate asap.

I notice on the unibrain site that the product plays .ogg files - have you tried this yet (didnt work for me)

If I can get component out it'll be the pefect product !!

Ed

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    can you post a link for this

7. Horrabin

Horrabin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I got a reply from my Swedish LaCie dealer and they basically said that since the product was so new, they hadn't gotten any information on the price or availability on the component converters. Said and done, I placed an order on the 1394store.com and the very next day I got my shippment from Greece (very quick delivery and very pricey as well - but I wanted to get the cable before Easter so I was ready to pay for it) and I tried it out last night. It works with a small complaint - it doesn't show the whole image. If I compare a frame from a movie when displaying it with the Silverscreen, it shows less of the image (mainly) on the sides than when I display it with my Xbox. However, when I display the same image from my dvd-player, it shows pretty much exactly the same amount of information that the Silverscreen does. So either the Xbox shows a bit too much of the image (or doesn't have any overscan) or the Silverscreen has a bit of overscan. Either way, the quality of the image from the Silverscreen is maybe slightly better than the one from the Xbox, at least in regards to sharpness (I could see the pattern of a shirt when watching the Silverscreen, but with the Xbox it was more of a blur). I tried out all the HDTV versions (480p, 720p and 1080i) and all worked fine. I'm very pleased with my Silverscreeen and the component cable solution. :)

Jon: The link to the Silverscreen can be found here: LaCie Silverscreen

8. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've noticed theres * plenty * missing from the sides when playing with s-vid on my TV. I hit the ZOOM button on the Lacie slim controller & bring it in 3 steps, then 2 steps in vertically top keep the aspect. Only trouble I find is that this stops play / pause working properly - the sort of bug that gets fixed with a firmware update I hope !

Ed

9. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  10. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cables works great although had to change gender for my BenQ
    Ed

11. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Very happy now got HDMI lead... if only the Silverscreen would ffwd/rewind smoothly it would be perfect !

12. chairbite

chairbite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.
    In the states here and just got a Lacie Silverscreen.
    Needed something to watch all my dr. who vids on.
    I love it!
    Besides the remote being crap, and the ff/rewind being really slow/inacurate, its about the perfect media player.

So I read somewhere that the offshoot media drive (unibrains Isak, lets you custimize its interface with your own backgrounds...and the menu looked suspiciously like the lacies one...so I tried it, and IT WORKS!!!
    Heres a tutorial....http://www.unibrain.com/iZak/iZak_Custom_Images.htm

I did a customized dr. who menu.
    If any of you are interested, give me your email, and Ill send it to you so you can have a who menu too.

-Micah
    :D

13. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    EXCELLENT !!

yeah the ffwd/rwd is so bad with DivX I try not to use it. Not bad with MPG. Maybe one day a firmware update will help out. I've also noticed a bug: after you hit zoom to bring the width down a bit (overscans on my TV too much) try hitting pause. Nope. ONly way I can find to fix is to do a quick rwd then pause functions OK again.

ED

14. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone tried the opticial audio output? Cant get a peep out of mine as yet . Am using tested optical setup (same setup as DVD player which is OK) only difference is also using the cable plug end converter (which came with the cable) so fits into the Silverscreen's port.
    HAve set menu > audio to digital on the Lacie. Silence. However still get audio from the pair of RCAs even with digital ticked.. doesnt seem right to me

ED

15. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Next question.. just got a Panasonic AE900 projector that has an HDMI port. Bought a 5m HDMI lead.. connected to the projector.. other end to Silverscreen - nothing. Pressed through the VIDEO OUT button on the Lacie controller a load of times (there are 10 settings in the cycle) still nothing. Anyone here managed to get HDMI out of it? The unit is OK s-video inot the panny, so it's on & powererd up OK etc.

(of course the trouble is I've only 1 HDMI device, and 1 HDMI projector so makes fault hunting all the more tricky!)

Ed

16. mimiihu

mimiihu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi.

i have a silverscreen too and it has great playback, despite the sluggish interface and some bugs.
    here's my appreciation of it.

one of the things that **** me off the most is subtitles not having a black border around which makes them impossible to read on white backgrounds.
    the only work-around that i know of is to zoom the picture and push it up and push the subtitles down to the black background but i have to do it everytime i see a movie.

also, it has a fixed font, no option to change it or its size. i prefer upper-case "i" to show as l and not I. once again the work-around is to change all upper "i" to lower case "L" in a subtitle editor. i use "subtitle workshop" and it's pretty good.

more, italic tags (<i> subtitle </i>) work well for computer viewing but not for the silverscreen. the tags appear as part of subtitle and no italics.

about the browsing system, first it should hide the file extensions and the file size (just "cast away" instead of "cast away.avi 670mb"). because you can't change font size here too, longer movie names like "nigthmare before christmas" appear cut-off and no scrolling to read the rest (only on music files, i think). and you could always access file info with the remote info button. and remove the brackets around the folders.
    all in all it should be more of a media center browsing than a explorer-like folder browsing.

then, if i try to rename files on my computer to "MOVIE ONE.avi" it doesn't update on the silverscreen so some appear "Movie One.avi" while others appear all caps. buggy.

ff & rw are sluggish, we all agree, and the pause button after zoom is a pain.

music playback as in many daps, doesn't play gapless so i don't use it. for true music listeners gapless playing is essential. no playlists, no equalizer, whatever.

picture viewing also buggy. when press play for the first time the slideshow works nice. if one of the pics is in a bad format or corrupt, comes back to the main screen and after that, play only displays the selected pic and no slideshow no more until you pull the plug out and connect it back.
    with movies, screen sometimes goes blue and only turning it off will do the trick.

i bought it 'cause it's really portable and it's a media center.
    overall i like it but the developers should improve the firmware in many levels but i think it'll be forgotten.

if someone has some tips, i'd gratefully appreciate it.

thanks.

17. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hope you guys have better luck with your new Lacie toys than I did, just make sure you back it all up:) if the info is important to you!

18. smartpower

smartpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know this is a long shot but did anyone get the lacie silverscreen working on HDMI? I have a lacie silverscreen 40G that I was using as an external hard disk only as I lost the remote.

I wondered if anyone knew if it worked with another remote or the codes for a universal remote as I would like to try it out as a media player if possible.

Would consider buying the a remote if someone has successfully programmed a universal one.

Thanks

19. sdm3000

sdm3000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    http://www.1394store.com/eshop/product.asp?dept_id=92&pf_id=8017

i bought mine from these guys. They bought the rights to Lacie silverscreen.

20. smartpower

smartpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info SDM

Do you (or anyone else) know if the the silverscreen will work with a standard HDMI connector?