Labgear Psw241 Quad Screened Coaxial Outlet Plate for SAT Freeview HD TV DAB

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mili99, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am looking for a wall socket that I can connect my sky+ box and connect a second tv to the rf2 output on my sky box. The sky box is in one room and the second tv is using a magic eye to control the sky. I want to keep all the cables hidden

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    No reason to not run separate cables for each function. Better imho.

2x F-socket for satellite
    1 x TV (or F with adapter lead) for UHF TV
    1 x same for VHF/DAB radio if needed
    1x same for Return feed to second room.
    = 4 or 5 runs of cable.
    Modular wallplates - or even a brush strip exit - can be used for connections.

IF you go down the combined route with that type of wallplate you'll need a powered loft box or another satellite-UHF combiner somewhere to join one satellite and the TV (and FM/DAB if desired) on to one downlead... so three runs of cable (sat, sat+TV+radio, return).

A future $ky Q upgrade will necessitate that anyway as their new lnb system precludes combining sat and TV. And magic eye functionality will also be lost (although there are ways round that - still.)

3. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have the cables in so just looking at trying to tidy the connectors and get a good picture at second tv with magic eye. Would the loft box and that wall plate be the right choice for me

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If there's adequate length on the cables, just use a brush plate and forget about the wall plate - you're just adding a bunch of additional connections for no reason.

If the cables aren't long enough to reach your devices, then a wall plate will be fine. You don't say how many cables you've run or where though.

If you have the right number of cables - i.e., two incoming sky feeds, and one that goes off to the to the second TV, and possibly an incoming RF feed, then you need neither the loft box, nor the multiplexed plate you've linked to. You just need a simple plate.

5. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the cables are long enough. I have three cables,two for sky incoming feed and one for the second tv but I am not getting a good picture on the second tv is there anything you can suggest to better the picture

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    You need to define what the problem is. SD video by RF is literally the crappest possibly way of transmitting a picture.

You may just be seeing it ‘as good as it gets’!

If you’re just wired directly point-point (sounds like you are) then plates and a loft box are not going to help.

If you only have an RF cable running to the second location, and the second TV has a HD DVB-T tuner, then you may want to look at getting a digital modulator instead.

7. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The second tv is wall mounted so don’t have anywhere to put anything, there is one joint in the rf cable going to the tv I had to lengthen the cable and now picture isn’t as good

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    You won't need to put anything behind the second TV if you went for a digital modulator - the modulator sits with the Sky box.

If the situation deteriorated after you joined the cable, then you need to re-examine your joint.

How did you do it?

The best way in my opinion is to put an F connector on each cable and use an F Coupler. This way is all but foolproof.

9. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I used an F coupler and connectors. What digital modulator would you suggest

10. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    It really shouldn't have worsened the picture then. Are you positive it's all terminated correctly. One single strand of stray outer braid contacting the centre pin is enough to cause huge problems. Disconnect it all and have a close look down the ends of the cable with a torch and magnifying glass.

The problem is, if you've got signal strength problems then the digital signal isn't going to work either (in fact, it'll probably be even worse), so you need to solve the underlying problem before thinking about the modulator upgrade.

In regards to modulators, we've used lots of the the Edison ones but they don't have a HDMI passthrough so you'll need a HDMI splitter. Antiference make one that does have a HDMI passthrough, but it's way more expensive than the Edison one and a cheap splitter.

It's a good solution though because you'll get full HD signal on the second TV. But as I said above, you need to get the analogue working properly first before thinking about this. There has to be an explanation for your problem.

11. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I’ll check the connectors before I look at the modulators

12. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Make sure your centre pins are long enough to properly engage into the coupler. In some couplers, the contacts are quite far back. And, as previously mentioned, check for any evil loose strands! Check all four connections - back of Sky box, back of other TV, both sides of coupler.

Only other explanation really would be if one of the cables is damaged (screw/nail through it, or crushed).

13. Mili99

Mili99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks will let you no if I fix it !!!