Labgear HDM4SMX4 HDMI 4x4 Super Matrix CAT6 Box - Review/Feedback

So, can a matrix be controlled from any of say four rooms?

Thanks for the help and suggestions BTW.

Most HDBT matrix support a range of control options, but is can be model dependent. This that allow IR control of the matrix source switching either use discrete codes for each room/source combination, others use the same basic source codes and rely on the receiver identifying from which room the signals are being sent from to switch the source to the right room. Many also support IP and/or web page control, others have RS232. Joe can confirm the Ovtava options, for other vendors you'd need to look at their specs to find out.

Hello both

IR – we have a simple 4-button remote you can use in any Zone to select an Input (the Matrix knows which Zone the IR is arriving from so no need for additional buttons). Once you select a Source you have then opened up an IR ‘Pathway’ to just that Source to allow you to control the Source (plus if required an AV Amp).

RS232 – we also have RS232 so you can use all manner of Control systems (AMX, Crestron, Control4 etc.) , plus many folk are now looking at the new breed of ‘App on a Tablet’ connecetd via a low cost device such as Global Cache iTach to control the Matrix plus connected gear from any number of Tablets. We are currently working with the teams at iRule and Global Cache to provide supported ‘bundles’.

Joe

Hello @Joe Fernand I have browsed the product you listed there. I have a question, this is probably the device for me and I will have to spend the money in order to get what I want as I don't believe cat6 extenders will serve me very well.

I want to know do I have to run those little IR blasters everywhere? Could I not make use of the Logitech harmony remote and its control over IP method instead of IR eyes everywhere?

‘want to know do I have to run those little IR blasters everywhere?’ – our in-Zone IR receivers are very discrete, most folk would miss them once installed.

Logitech Ultimate Harmony – I have not had a play/good look at it but first thought is no it’s not going to be ideal in a multi-Source/multi-Zone system. We have lots of customers using multiple Harmony remotes over our Routed IR (without the IR Routing via the Matrix things would get very tricky trying to use multiple remotes from multiple Zones).

IP control – you could consider something like iRule + Global Cache iTach IP2IR and IP2RS323 devices partnered with Android or iOS devices as your control option (though personally I would still retain IR for those times when IP control throws a wobble, which it will).

The iRule team were using an Octava 4x4 dual CAT Matrix back in Sept. 2013 at the CEDIA Trade show in Denver - The Media Factory | Facebook

Joe

Hi joe you seem to be knowledge on network topics so perhaps I could pick your brain on my thread.

Basically I want to know should I run solid or patch cable to the tv in order to use hdmi extenders as I won't be going through the patch panel for them.

Any illustrations you might have would be great.

Hi

Solid cables within walls normally but patch (Stranded Cables) for shorter lengths.

Seb

Thanks seb I was thinking I would have to run stranded also.

The run is about 20m so I will be fine with solid cable if I terminate both ends with an RJ45 and use the extenders?

Have you decided how you are doing your control ?
What do you mean by control? Had not thought of anything like that. I was going to put my htpc in the cupboard along with all the other gear and split the signal that way. Is there something im missing? Was avoiding hdmi matrix due to cost.

IR control for example, you mentioned it earlier in threads ?

How many sources and how many rooms ?

Oh im with you. Don't the extenders come with IR control modules? For now there is 2 sources (HTPC,TIVO) and 3 rooms to send them to. A fourth when an extension is done but that's not happening for another 2years.

edit

Actually 3 sources as my wifey bought me an xbox one.

Many different HDMI Over Cat6 Extenders, some with IR some without.

SO are you ending up with a splitter per source then HDMI extenders to each room for each source ?

Are you using dual Cat6 or single cat6 extenders ?

Sorry to quiz you but dont want you making a mistake

Nor do I seb this is all new to me.

How would you do it as you have many time I imagine? Cost is a factor don't want to go extreme but I do want the best options.
I plan on having the htpc in there and this will be sending movies and tv to the rooms, plus when the main theatre room is done I hope to send the signal there too and it be capable of DTS MA DD audio also.

A matrix is the way to go really as makes the whole thing simpler both for connection and operation.

DO you need to watch the Tivo and Xbox in other rooms as well ?

Where is all the equipment to be located ?

Seb

A matrix is the way to go really as makes the whole thing simpler both for connection and operation.

DO you need to watch the Tivo and Xbox in other rooms as well ?

Where is all the equipment to be located ?

Seb
Yep want to watch the TiVo and play xbox in the upstairs bedroom also as we have a tv bed so im cutting a patress box into the floor underneath the bed.

I have priced the matrix up before and it was £500. Is it possible to use a hdmi splitter into the extender so only one source will be running?

And equipment is to be in the under stairs cupboard. Was thinking of having the xbox in the living room however. Would I still be able to send the signal via cat6?

Im not against the matrix units just the cost at the moment but if I have little choice to get what I want them it will be one of those I guess. Do I need a box behind the tv also with a matrix?

Last edited:
Maybe if you could sketch out ideally what you are wanting and how you are intending to do it. I can offer alternatives and advice as a bit lost at the moment.

Maybe if you could sketch out ideally what you are wanting and how you are intending to do it. I can offer alternatives and advice as a bit lost at the moment.
Ok seb I will do, was just editing my post slightly.

Im confused also as this is the first time I've ventured into distribution.

Yes you would need a box but with extenders you would also have a receiver box.

A Centrally located matrix over cat6 would give you the ability for any room to watch any source in any combination. It would also handle IR and would avoid having multiple devices (switches extenders etc) that could lead to issues with HDMI.

A dual Cat6 4x4 matrix is approximately £500+VAT. However compared with a combination of splitters and Cat6 extenders this would probably work out at a lower cost.

As regards the Xbox located in the living room and the rest located in a understairs cupboard this does add an issue with regard to control and connections. The matrix has HDMI inputs for sources and then IR control from the matrix to the sources. If one of the sources is in another room this makes it more complicated. What distance is it from the cupboard to the living room ?

Have you tried controlling the Xbox from bedroom to the planned AV hub - the controllers work quite well over a distance.

With a Matrix you have the Sources connected via HDMI to the central Hub then single or dual CAT6 to each Zone to a small Zone Receiver (some require external power others are powered over the CAT6 cable) then a short HDMI to your TV.

A decent Matrix will also provided Routed IR to allow you to control your IR Sources from any Zone,

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom