1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by niccam, Jun 30, 2002.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody has stuck their own labels on DVD-R and was there any problems on playback? I know its not recommended due to heat and balancing . Has anybody any views on this subject. Thank you

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    I've used labels on cd's for donkeys and recently DVD's without any prolems at all.

I use the Stomper kit which is pretty good.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the structural make-up of DVDs, I would've thought that the use of labels might contribute to oxidisation, thus reducing the lifespan of your disks. Anyone got any thoughts on that? :confused:

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Quite.
    Felt tip pens for me. I just number the disc. Any other info is on the Index Card.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I was responsible some while ago now for starting a scare on www.computervideo.net about problems with labels on DVDs. In short the discs froze about 30 minutes into playback, we think because the lable was confusing the laser.

Since then I've just used labeling pens on the disc, but it doesn't look very good. There are plenty of people who apply labels apparently with no difficulties. I've tried a couple lately and they've been OK - maybe becuse I now have a different player (problems occurred on a Yelo 800; now use a Sony 9000 ES).

The new Epson 950 printer should be in the shops anytime now, and that will print directly onto the disc - cost about £330. You have to use printer-ready discs which cost a bit more but the results will be very professional. The 950 got a rave review in one of the computer mags (forget which).