LA in January

BDCSTENG GARETH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm off to LA in Jan for 2-3 weeks, by myself for work...

I've read one thread on here about Cali and LA, but wanted to ask a specific question...

What to do at the weekends by myself?

Has anyone any experience of LA as Billy no-mates?

I think the office is in or around Hollywood, but I'll have a car to get around.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I went to the us with work as a billy no mates, I am also into mini's (classic) and there are alot of people on a forume i go on that live over there so just arranged to meet up with loads of people off there, had a excellent time and it was not all minis it was more drink and bars and general hanging out

what other things you into, lol find a forum and meet up.

Just stay clear of the nutters ;) unless thats what your into :)

Las Vegas

San Diego

Thanks for the idea, but I'm looking for attractions/beaches/bars etc.

I'm thinking of being the "stange" bloke who goes to universal and joins the "single person" lines...

i'm thinking also of maybe getting out of town at the weekends and paying for a room up/down the coast on friday and sat nights... any clues?

Ok

Get down to Santa Monica. Venice Beach on a Sunday is something else. Weird or what!

Drive round the Hollywood Hills, just for the drive and the views.

If you're going to overnight seriously look at San Diego down the coast and Las Vegas. Vegas is just a great drive across the desert is nothing else - visit Death Valey on the way.

:D I've been to LA a couple of times as part of USA hols.....

I wasn't impressed with LA per se, unless youre interested in the parks.....Universal, Disney and somebodies farm :eek:

And everything is so spread out you have to drive which means no drinking....and smoking for that matter....

There are the obvious tourist areas:
La Brea Tar Pits (interesting)
Chinese Mann Theatre and Hollywood walk of fame (crap)
I did enjoy a drive around the hills...mulholland drive...great views....and Bel Air and Beverly Hills
The Griffith Park Observatory was being refurbed when I was there but is probably open now. And you get to see the sign close up

And I don't have to tell you about driving in LA....it can make the M25 seem empty

BUT

That was until I found Santa Monica....great place....really laid back, beautiful beaches, great bars, nice (beautiful people). Who will chat to anyone.....i.e. they chatted to me....they love the british:D

The pier is nice, and there is a good shopping area.

It can be a little TOO bohemian and liberal if your a Daily Mail reader, and all the women dragging their chihauhau rats about as they go to yoga is a little irritating. And everything is all organic, carb free and fair trade.

But just go and get yerself a beer and people watch on the beach boardwalk.

Venice beach is just a cycle ride away, but is a no go area after dark and can be a bit full on at weekend....it can resemble Blackpool Prom full of tat at times.

Other things I have done within driving distance......Death Valley....absolutely beautiful....and obviously Las vegas and the Grand Canyon., Red Rock and Valley of fire

You may even consider an internal flight to Las Vegas....but it is deffo driveable....about 5 or 6 hours.

There are supposed to be tours of the Film and TV studios (not just Universal) at Burbank. Including being in the audience for some recordings...but I never went

I also went Palm springs, a couple of hours away and the Joshua Tree NP. Palm springs is desert and not really much there apart from old people and when I was there it got to 108 faranheit. But it has a cable car that goes up about 3000 feet and you watch as the temperature drops 25 degrees cent and go from toasting to there still being snow on the ground:eek:

Hope this helps

Bumper

That San Jacinto cablecar is great (done it twice with an 18 year gap between rides). I'm sure it goes to more than 3000 feet - about double that , I believe.
Big Bear City up in the San Bernadino mountains (about 5500 asl) is good too - although it's a hairy drive if it starts snowing and you don't have snow chains (happened to me and was the only time in 3 weeks that the kids stopped arguing in the car, not wanting Dad to drive over the edge).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

That San Jacinto cablecar is great (done it twice with an 18 year gap between rides). I'm sure it goes to more than 3000 feet - about double that , I believe.
Big Bear City up in the San Bernadino mountains (about 5500 asl) is good too - although it's a hairy drive if it starts snowing and you don't have snow chains (happened to me and was the only time in 3 weeks that the kids stopped arguing in the car, not wanting Dad to drive over the edge).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I think I saw that film . . :)

If you like live music "House of Blues" on Hollywood blvd is a good venue. But if you are out and about, try to check out the Getty museum on PCH (you might have to phone first though). If you like cars etc, the Perterson Automotive museum, on Wiltshire blvd. That`s got some fab vehicles :thumbsup:

Ok

Get down to Santa Monica. Venice Beach on a Sunday is something else. Weird or what!

Drive round the Hollywood Hills, just for the drive and the views...QUOTE]

I agree. You are bound to meet someone on 3rd street in Santa Monica on a Saturday evening.
Mullholland drive is a nice drive to behind the Hollywood sign.

If you like live music "House of Blues" on Hollywood blvd is a good venue. But if you are out and about, try to check out the Getty museum on PCH (you might have to phone first though). If you like cars etc, the Perterson Automotive museum, on Wiltshire blvd. That`s got some fab vehicles :thumbsup:
They moved The House of Blues ? (Dan Ackroyd's place, right ?). It used to be on Sunset Plaza around the 9000 block (where Angelina Jolie kept T-boning cars ) about five mins walk from the hotel I stayed in while there.
(Used to be ?) a big Tower Records across the plaza (north side) and a short walk east, not far from the Virgin huge megastore (south side).
The Getty museum is fabulous - just shows what you can do with a billion dollars.

They moved The House of Blues ? (Dan Ackroyd's place, right ?). It used to be on Sunset Plaza around the 9000 block (where Angelina Jolie kept T-boning cars ) about five mins walk from the hotel I stayed in while there.
(Used to be ?) a big Tower Records across the plaza (north side) and a short walk east, not far from the Virgin huge megastore (south side).
The Getty museum is fabulous - just shows what you can do with a billion dollars.

My :oops: on the HOB addy. It is on Sunset (i wasn`t all together alert when i was there last) :D

My :oops: on the HOB addy. It is on Sunset (i wasn`t all together alert when i was there last) :D
You will have fitted right in then.... :)

I saw Nancy Reagan shopping acroos the road there (in those tatty cheap shops....). She had an armed secret service agent with her and a government car and driver - couldn't help wonder why, she wasn't President and Ronald was away with the fairies by then.

You will have fitted right in then.... :)

I saw Nancy Reagan shopping acroos the road there (in those tatty cheap shops....). She had an armed secret service agent with her and a government car and driver - couldn't help wonder why, she wasn't President and Ronald was away with the fairies by then.

:rotfl: Yeah you got that right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom